The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Mini (v.2009) for Logic-based project studio
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Head

wait guys, are you saying that you can not connect my lcd displays that i used with my pc to a mac mini??? do i need genuine apple cinema display??
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarpiozo View Post
wait guys, are you saying that you can not connect my lcd displays that i used with my pc to a mac mini??? do i need genuine apple cinema display??
You can use any display you want.
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Advice for my new Mac Mini ?

I just bought a mac mini Dual 2.53 ghz, 4 gig ram, 320 gig hard drive. I plan on swapping the main hard drive for the Intel SSD (80 gig version ) , and placing the drive that came with the mini in the DVD drive area, removing the DVD drive completely. (ala server edition model)
The drive that came with the mac is only 5400 rpm. Would I have any problem recording , say, 16 tracks of 96 khz audio to this drive , or should I just buy a 7200 rpm drive for the audio drive ? I'm coming from a G5 Dual 1.8 ghz machine.... how much faster do you think this new mac mini is ? I still can't get over how small this damn thing is !!!
Old 23rd January 2010
I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for all the info...

I am a PC user but, considering going mac in the near future...I found this post reallyhelpful....

I am also considering the jump to Logic 9...so the post really helped me out.

any further info, or is it just business as usual...

thanks again

Wiz
Old 24th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
any further info, or is it just business as usual...
I'm now running my Mac Mini with Logic 9.1 in 64-bit mode under Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

No problems at all!

The Mini is a super little performer, especially now it's souped up to 2.53Ghz. I have had no reliability issues with the hardware since that first week when I returned the one with the extremely noisy DVD drive and got a new one. It's quiet, fast and just so darn cute!

I use a Mac display so I don't know if all the 3rd-party display issues have been sorted but a quick check on the Apple Forums will tell you.

This is NOT specifically related to the Mini hardware, but I'll include my thoughts here anyway...

Logic has gone 64-bit so we are in a bit of a transition phase at the present time:

If you are building a Mac system from scratch then I would go ahead and install the vanilla Logic set-up in 64-bit and get on with making music with what that gives you. Keep your system religiously clean and only add 3rd-party plug-ins as they become available in 64-bit versions.

If you absolutely can't live without 3rd party plug-ins then I'd probably either hold off for a few months or else run Logic and all your plugs in 32-bit for now and be prepared to do a clean install a few months down the line.

NOTE: Personally I gave up using all 3rd-party plug-ins long ago in favour of hardware (with the exception of Ozone which I only need in WaveBurner) so I only ever require to be able to work with a vanilla install of Logic.

Other info...

I have had to raise my Logic buffer to 128 for working with a lot of native synths, but I need to check this now I've switched to 64-bit - maybe I can reduce it again now.

I have to say Metric Halo MIO has been less than usually robust when addressed via the Console Connect AU so I've reverted to using MIO in stand-alone mode in parallel with Logic, which in fact suits my working methods better anyway. Not really an issue related to the Mini itself or necessarily Logic.

WaveBurner is broken again as it won't load older .wb3 projects but again, this issue is not related to the Mini itself or even Logic and won't bother anyone new to it building a system from scratch.

Working with audio is by far the most taxing jobs I give my Mini - all other operations such as web, DTP, Keynote Presentations, Photo editing etc are sufficiently fast to be completely un-noticeable. Yes, I've had to do a couple of restarts over the past year, but the hardware remains in perfect working order as far as I can tell. Oh and occasionally iTunes doesn't recognise inserted CDs which can be annoying.

Finally, looking back to what I wrote last April, I have indeed installed Logic 7 back on my old 12" PowerBook and I still use this with the Metric Halo ULN-2 as my field recording rig. So with a Mini powering my Metric Halo 2882-based studio set-up and a .mac account to keep my PowerBook perfectly in sync with it I have the best of both worlds!
Old 24th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I have to say Metric Halo MIO has been less than usually robust when addressed via the Console Connect AU so I've reverted to using MIO in stand-alone mode in parallel with Logic, which in fact suits my working methods better anyway. Not really an issue related to the Mini itself or necessarily Logic.
Hi James,
There are no known issues with ConsoleConnect and Logic 9; can you get in touch with support and let them know about the problems you're having?

I believe the Logic 9.0.2 update fixed the WaveBurner issue with .wb3 files. At least it did for me!

Allen
Old 24th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Rowand View Post
There are no known issues with ConsoleConnect and Logic 9; can you get in touch with support and let them know about the problems you're having?
Will do Allen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Rowand View Post
I believe the Logic 9.0.2 update fixed the WaveBurner issue with .wb3 files. At least it did for me!
Trust me, 9.0.2 did not fix this problem and neither has 9.1 - WaveBummer 1.6.1 remains broken.

Old 25th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I'm now running my Mac Mini with Logic 9.1 in 64-bit mode under Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

No problems at all!

The Mini is a super little performer, especially now it's souped up to 2.53Ghz. I have had no reliability issues with the hardware since that first week when I returned the one with the extremely noisy DVD drive and got a new one. It's quiet, fast and just so darn cute!

I use a Mac display so I don't know if all the 3rd-party display issues have been sorted but a quick check on the Apple Forums will tell you.

This is NOT specifically related to the Mini hardware, but I'll include my thoughts here anyway...

Logic has gone 64-bit so we are in a bit of a transition phase at the present time:

If you are building a Mac system from scratch then I would go ahead and install the vanilla Logic set-up in 64-bit and get on with making music with what that gives you. Keep your system religiously clean and only add 3rd-party plug-ins as they become available in 64-bit versions.

If you absolutely can't live without 3rd party plug-ins then I'd probably either hold off for a few months or else run Logic and all your plugs in 32-bit for now and be prepared to do a clean install a few months down the line.

NOTE: Personally I gave up using all 3rd-party plug-ins long ago in favour of hardware (with the exception of Ozone which I only need in WaveBurner) so I only ever require to be able to work with a vanilla install of Logic.

Other info...

I have had to raise my Logic buffer to 128 for working with a lot of native synths, but I need to check this now I've switched to 64-bit - maybe I can reduce it again now.

WaveBurner is broken again as it won't load older .wb3 projects but again, this issue is not related to the Mini itself or even Logic and won't bother anyone new to it building a system from scratch.

Working with audio is by far the most taxing jobs I give my Mini - all other operations such as web, DTP, Keynote Presentations, Photo editing etc are sufficiently fast to be completely un-noticeable. Yes, I've had to do a couple of restarts over the past year, but the hardware remains in perfect working order as far as I can tell. Oh and occasionally iTunes doesn't recognise inserted CDs which can be annoying.

Finally, looking back to what I wrote last April, I have indeed installed Logic 7 back on my old 12" PowerBook and I still use this with the Metric Halo ULN-2 as my field recording rig. So with a Mini powering my Metric Halo 2882-based studio set-up and a .mac account to keep my PowerBook perfectly in sync with it I have the best of both worlds!

thanks so much for the great info...

cheers

Wiz
Old 23rd May 2010
Here for the gear

re:

Hi James,

How's Logic 9 working out? Any glitches so far?

I just ordered a Mac Mini 2.5 w/ 4 GB RAM from Amazon and realized shortly thereafter that -- since I also had to buy a monitor and mouse -- I could have gotten the iMac 3.06 for only $100 more.

I'm not crazy about the idea of everything being integrated in the iMac, and read it's only an 18% speed increase over the Mini 2.5.

Also bought Logic 9.

(Coming from a Powerbook G4, so anything I get will be a great improvement. The G4 worked Logic 8 Express at 30+ tracks with no problem until I started adding more plugin-intensive synths. Then it hit the proverbial wall, weep.)

Let me know how things are going with
Mini and L9!

Last edited by thesaint77; 23rd May 2010 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: .
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
Buy an i7 iMac it will crush a Mac Mini (which really is made out of laptop parts)
Using a laptop for serious recording is like using a pedal bike to take your family on vacation.
So does the imac, until the quad imacs were released imacs mirrored Macbook pros, and the minis mirrored mirrored macbooks in most of their components.

My hunch is that battery life, and heat stopped 4-core MBP from being released.

Old 26th May 2010
Here for the gear

re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
Buy an i7 iMac it will crush a Mac Mini (which really is made out of laptop parts)
Using a laptop for serious recording is like using a pedal bike to take your family on vacation.
Be wary of anyone who tells you what a computer "can't" do. (I.e., it pays to talk to people like the great folks here who are using the computer for what we want to do.)

I was in the Apple store today, and an authoritative, "helpful" sales person, in his early 50's, no less (so you'd assume he would be knowledgeable) explained to me how my iMac 3.05 would be no better than my Powerbook G4 (even though the iMac has conservatively 5x the processing power when you total ghz, duo vs. single, RAM, bus speed, etc., and given that my G4 runs 30+ tracks in Logic 8 comfortably if I keep the plugins down), and I should buy a Mac Pro QuadCore for $2,200 if I want to record "pro audio".

Absurdity!

We all know it's not how expensive (or how many) plugins you have; it comes down to songwriting ultimately, anyway. And 10 plugins spread across 10 tracks used tastefully or originally will blow away the "rich guy with no ideas" in a heartbeat.

Have fun with your Mini!!

p.s. Talk to the Jimmy Tamborello from the Postal Service, who lives in my 'hood and recorded a gold record when none of this processing power was around, using wits and originality. His gold record is all anyone needs to know. : )
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm going to be following this thread, James!
Once I get a particular synth (for a weird, live solo-drum thing) I'll be looking into getting a mini OR an iMac.... depending the prices at the time!

Probably going to lean more towards the iMac for what ever reason but the mini is definitely a nice lil' machine! heh

/excitement for the next few months!
📝 Reply