The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Camcorder Audio Fix
Old 30th July 2005
Here for the gear

Camcorder Audio Fix

I've been asked to put the audio from a videotaped conference onto cds. Unfortunately, the camera was set up in the back of the room. The sound is understandably distant and a little echoey. I have Soundforge and Waves. I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe or recommendation for what would do the best job to clean it up.
Old 30th July 2005
It's gonna be problematic. Careful EQ will cut some of the 'non-signal' content of your recording (room reverberation and echo, low frequency rumble from machinery, A/C, trucks, etc). You might be tempted to gate -- but that's going to be problematic.

And, while gating might cut down on some of the artifacts that make the recording sound "noisy" -- it may also negatively impact comprehensibility, as well, if used over-aggressively.

Have you ever seen an early "talking picture" (like from around 1930 or so) where restorers have tried to clean it up so hard you ended up not being able to understand anything?

Sometimes your signal is just mixed in with a bunch of noise and cutting the noise cuts the signal.

Devil's bargain. Good luck!
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Depending on the situation, I might be tempted to try an expander. Careful, though!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search