The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
my usb disc drive suddenly dissapeared from "my computer"
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

my usb disc drive suddenly dissapeared from "my computer"

i've checked the conrol panel and everything says that this device is working properly but it's no where to be found. and if i can't see it , i can't use it. anyone have a suggestion for me?
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadworld
i've checked the conrol panel and everything says that this device is working properly but it's no where to be found. and if i can't see it , i can't use it. anyone have a suggestion for me?

have you tried the usual, unplug it and plug in back in?

try hitting F5 in the my computer window.
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

yes, i tried to unplug it and plug it in and it didn't work. what did work is powering the drive off and then back on again while the computer was running... i got a warning that said my computer could crash by doing this, but for now i'm back up and running. i have a new problem though. i just realized that my drum loops (heavy mental series 4) won't stretch out to the desired length. guess i'll post that to another thread... thanks. matt.
Old 30th July 2005
Quick question: Have you been using the "Safely Rmove Hardware" function for USB drives and devices? I think a lot of us have been sloppy about this, since there usually aren't repercussions from a brute force remove (pulling the cable)... but after I screwed the format on my RAM mp3 player and thought about the consequences for doing same to my 160 GB ouboard USB2 drive, I got a little religion.

Doesn't sound, necessarily, like this is directly related to your problem but I thought it was worth bringing up, if only to save other sinners, such as myself...

I wonder if its possible that you're Automatic Power Managemnet (or whatever it's called) could be telling the disk to spin down at intervals? You might want to check your power management settings. I've found that some errant software has on rare occasion changed these settings on me. (Why? Who knows? Some people just put out crappy software...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search