The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kontakt for dance/hip-hop - anyone using it?
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Kontakt for dance/hip-hop - anyone using it?

Like it?

How's the workflow? In particular: how quickly can you map some of your own samples, adjust the start/endpoints, and start playing?

Also: for loop-chopping, I tend to take a loop, and assign copies to various notes, then change the start/endpoints to each copy (probably some other parameters too). In my EPS or Reason's sampler for example, you could do this with a single audio file. Whereas with MachFive (what I'm currently using), it makes a separate copy of the audio file for each key I assign it to (so I have identical files like: "beat 1, beat 2, beat 3, beat 4..."). Not that big a deal, but seems to needlessly add files to a project compared to how the EPS or NNXT work. Anyone know how it works in Kontakt?

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttauri
Like it?
How's the workflow? In particular: how quickly can you map some of your own samples, adjust the start/endpoints, and start playing?
I have Kontakt -much quicker than the EXS ever was for me- but nothing I do with sampling is terribly laborious- I'll generally bounce it to disk and do all the chopping as audio- less timing varience and I am a TDM user so I like to process with those plugins.

I generally pref in Peak then import into Kontakt.

JR
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

If this is what you want to do with your sampler I suggest using Intakt instead, it´s more made for cuting and pasting and less made for mega multilayered pads etc. etc.

It also has a "recycle" type funktion built in if you like that, it can provide midi files
of the slices, or not. I think you should try it, it´s available on NI site as a demo
limited to 1hr of use and has saving disabled.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/inde...ftu=4cce743730

PS. Kontakt is also available as demo..

Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

There is nothing quicker the Reason's NN-XT. I"ve used them all. Kontakt, Sampletank, and Mach 5. Kontakt has amazing sound desing capabilities, but NN-XT can auto detect pitch and open REX files seamlessly. It's the most stable out of all of them. I miss some of the Modulation parameter's of Kontakt, but I"ve never looked back. I've seen you post on the Deep Space website, so for the type of music you do I think it's great. The fact that there are a ton, and I mean a ton of amazing sounding ReFills for me, it was the nail on the coffin for the other soft samplers. In fact, I also have version 2.0 which if it works properly it will be amazing. Takes up a lot of processing power. Forget about trying to run in on my Dual 1.0gzh machine. There is a bug that I can't have more than 2 outputs on it, if I"m using Nuendo on the mac. I want to love NI, I really do...I"ve tried really hard, but they keep putting out these half assed plugs that don't work.

Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I would be an NNXT die-hard but for one thing: a lot of the time, I'm just going fishing with samples--don't really know if there's something useful until I play around with it, and if I'm just fishing around on a long-ish sample, the virtual knobs for setting start/end times can be a crazy PITA. Not that different from the EPS' way of doing things, but with the EPS' hardware slider, I could cruise through a sample way quicker. If the Props added a waveform view to the NNXT, I would be in heaven.

I'll check Intakt, Fredrik. How's it work for traditional MPC-style triggering of drums, stabs and such?

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think it´s cool you can devide the keyboard anyway you want, so you can have 1 sample per key or spans or both and it´s also possible to have let´s say one octave of a sliced up loop all at the same time. It also has multiple outs, filters of individual sounds, envelopes, overdrives etc etc.

I think it´s more complex in terms of what you can do, compared to the mpc
but I think it´s nice if you do alot of editing of your samples. You also have all the parameters in on screen (pretty obvious I guess), And its possible to use a controller for many of it´s parameters, so if you have some extra knobs or faders modulation wheel etc free then you can assign them.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttauri
I would be an NNXT die-hard but for one thing: a lot of the time, I'm just going fishing with samples--don't really know if there's something useful until I play around with it, and if I'm just fishing around on a long-ish sample, the virtual knobs for setting start/end times can be a crazy PITA. Not that different from the EPS' way of doing things, but with the EPS' hardware slider, I could cruise through a sample way quicker. If the Props added a waveform view to the NNXT, I would be in heaven.

I'll check Intakt, Fredrik. How's it work for traditional MPC-style triggering of drums, stabs and such?

Peece,
T. Tauri

Thats exactly why I find my sample but use recycle for the chopping.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search