The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
B4 the Best?
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

B4 the Best?

Do you consider Native Instruments B4 as the best Hammond tonewheel simulator? Or, are there any better alternatives?

Roger
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

only tried the Logic B3 emulation (is there another one?), I prefer the B4, only the accelaration of the leslie is usually set to fast... for the rest I love it.

Cheers, Julian
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

The B4 is by far the best .. If you play the B3 or C3, you will have no problems getting your sounds out of it.. Most players only play the presets, which are fine. Butr, the art of playing organ, is the real-time interaction with the levers, tone wheels, volume pedal, and trem & vibrato...You have to have a controller with realtime faders, as well as, a controller midi pedals for real swells... I know pro B3( Gospel, Jazz) cats who only record using the B4 using the forementioned setup..

Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I love the B4, it has so many great uses, and usually ends up on almost every recording I do. Haven't tried other organ vsti's, but I love this one.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanx Cats,

I like the B4 too, tho' I do hear a slightly difference between original tonewheels. I just played on an M3 with an old leslie and somehow it has more funk, wood, live..., I don't know or maybe it's just the environment where I played the thing? Also, the demo on the NI website when the B3 and B4 are compared are different for me, but OK maybe it's just something between the ears... I'll go for the B4 then and maybe purchasing an M3 or L122 or so in the future for fun. Thanx!

Regards,

Roger
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

By the way, I would you compare the B4 with for instance the Nord Lead Electro or the Hammond XK3?

Regards,

Roger
Old 30th July 2005
Mindreader

B4 slays the Logic attempt
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear
The other sampled one from usb is ok too-

But make no mistake, there is NOTHING like a real hammond! Period.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I actually prefer the Logic version.

ruudman
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use the B4 and love it, but I must admit that the Logic one has an overall tone that's different from the B4 and can be quite a nice alternative in the right situation.
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

What about "Charlie" ?
Any opinions?
SG
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear
Right charlie is the one from USB-

It's OK. I think it's better if you are looking for a hammond sound that is not as run of the mill- EG they have them through amps etc not just leslies. Still ain't nothing like the real thing though. There is a guy in my neck of the woods who was Ray Charles hammond tech for years- find some old codger like that- get an m3 rewired for a cheap leslie and you can forget about all these plugs. Just my opinion though-
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Well i would not know if it's the best, but it sounds really good to my ears.

Also, it seems to get a lot of praise, so that is always a good thing.
Old 31st July 2005
Here for the gear

what about creamware B2003?

I'm not a hammond purist & i didn't A/B it with B4, but that's the one i own and i find it very useful!

did any hammond purist A/B it with B4?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hober
did any hammond purist A/B it with B4?
Yes, on the Native Instuments site there is quite a detailed comparison. Very, very close, but still the original has 'it' more...

Roger
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

hi there, does B4 work at 96k?
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

B4 is the best thing I've found. Logic's I didn't even find passable. I'd ratehr use static samples than it. Actually, the FREE "Organized" did better than it, IMO.

Compared to hardware, I think the Korg, Roland, and Hammond stuff is on par...give or take. Biggest diffs seem to be in the leslie sim. But, it's $150 software. I've got it wired up to my old Voce MIDI Drawbar controller. Works well. Every now and again the Kurzweil Kb3 model works better in the context of a mix, but...you can't beat the cost/performance of the B4. One of the few things I keep the PC around for.
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Hey, I've said this a few times around here, but if you can run RTAS plugins, get the Bomb Factory Voce Spin.

(I know, I know, Bomb Factory)

But it's far and away the most convincing rotary speaker emu.

There's only the one switch on the GUI, but when you open the automation panel, there's all kinds of speed change ramp-up/down control, balance control, etc. etc.

I've found that it can make even a so-so tonewheel emu sound more lifelike.

And it's great on guitars, vox, etc.

I know a guy who liquidates PT rigs if you wanna get the plugin cheap. PM me for his info. He's usually got it listed separately from the Voce chorus/vibrato, which I don't like as much.
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

B4-II

I recently went to order B4 from the Native site, and I found that B4-II was due out.

A lot of retailers are discounting the B4 and the B4/B4 Drawbar package, but that is for the old version.

According to the site, the new B4-II has a lot of upgrades, including a bunch of presets and the Leslie simulator is supposedly improved.

I preordered (I know, I know) and am patiently awaiting the new package, which is due to ship November 1.

We're doing a Soul/Gospel album right now, and I sure wish it were here. My artist has a sweet old B3 & Leslie at home, but he feels that the B4 (demo version) ends up sounding at least as good.

Has anyone Beta tested the Version II, perhaps at AES ?
Old 23rd October 2005
Gear Addict

The B4 is a lovely Sim. The only piece of kit I have heard apart from the real thing that gives it a good run is the remarkably inexpensive Oberheim OB3 squared... (NOT the later Viscount DB3 which f*cks up the good work done by the Oberheim/Viscount joint venture almost entirely). I've tended to use the Oberheim live but the B4 almot always comes out for recordings.
Old 24th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I actually prefer the Logic version.

ruudman
Me Too!!
Old 24th October 2005
Lives for gear

I think it sounds to me that the Logic version is a bit warmer...

RS
Old 24th October 2005
Gear Nut

Hey - I was over with NI last week in Berlin, where we were checking out new products, and we were all amazed at what they've managed with B4 II - they've used some of the new technology from Guitar Rig 2 in terms of the amp simulations and cabinets - the sound is amazing!

when you get a chance, make sure you check it out..

Cheers

Steve
Old 24th October 2005
Here for the gear

I've recorded a ton of real Hammonds as the bulk of my business is recording live Gospel concerts. When you say a particular software sounds more like a "real" Hammond, there's no such sound. Let me clarify. There are so many varibles involved. Microphonic tubes, leaky caps, panels on, panels off, belts lying in the bottom of the leslie, a piece of panty hose used as a belt, squeeks, rattles, rat droppings, cob webs, some with a very clean sound no matter how hard it's pushed, some with that typical GROWL that won't clean up, where its placed in the room, etc. GOD I love 'em!
All that being said, I've never had a player come in the studio for in-house stuff, and NOT be impressed and satisfied with what they got out of the B4.
Old 24th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad
Me Too!!
Me too. Logic's has more something to me... well, more options for one. Maybe it's being able to really control the crosstalk, age, click, etc...
Old 27th October 2005
Gear Nut

The nord electro is the best "live" keyboard I've heard for its hammond sim - but still not as versatile (range of sounds) as the B4, which I have. If you're gonna be gigging a lot with it though - the nord is an excellent keyboard. Just a few, really playable, really great sounding instruments in there - for funk/rock/modern jazz it may be all you need.

Mike
Old 27th October 2005
It's not, of course, a pay-for instrument and may well fall far short of the B4, which I haven't used, but -- for free -- I was delighted by the ZR-3 organ soft synth.
Old 28th October 2005
Gear Addict

When you record it, do you guys pass it through a guitar amp of some sort?

I think B4 if great, but I find it has a recognizable "sonic signature" when recorded directly. When I recognize the B4 on a record, I'm immediately turned off. It can't beat real organ.

(BTW, to hear really nice jazz-funk organ, get your hands on a Medeski, Martin and Wood record)
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Addict

Hey guys.

Reviving an older thread here...

Regarding the B4-II.... do you guys have any particular tips or general guidelines regarding maximizing the realism of the B4? Meaning... for example, how do you guys mix it in Pro Tools?

- Any EQ guidelines? (do you boost or cut certain frequencies?)...

- and what about compression? (Heavy compression? Light compression)?

- And do you use anything else like Amp Farm on it?

- What kind of time based effects (reverbs? Rooms? delay?)

Thanks for any advice...
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Can you use the B4 with xp64? Does anyone know?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search