The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Powerbook G4 1.5 with Logic Pro 7 - is it worth?
Old 29th July 2005
Question Powerbook G4 1.5 and 1.67 Platinum Verb test

Hi,

Can anybody make a test of how many instances of Platinum Verbs can be used at the same time in 24/44.1 Logic session on Powerbook 1.5?

I would like also to hear any user experiences with Logic and Powerbooks.

Jacko
Old 29th July 2005
I've been running Logic on my 1GHz tibook for the past 2.5 years with no complaints. Granted, I've also always had a studio machine, too, but for remote stuff and writing, the tibook has been a trooper. I use an RME Fireface800 and the computer is perfectly happy recording 16 tracks or more while playing back a bunch from a Firewire drive.

Just understand that it won't be as powerful as a dual G5, use Freeze when necessary, get as much RAM as you can afford, and I think you'll be a happy camper!
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko
Hi,

Can anybody make a test of how many instances of Platinum Verbs can be used at the same time in 24/44.1 Logic session on Powerbook 1.5?

I would like also to hear any user experiences with Logic and Powerbooks.

Jacko
I can run about 30 platinumverbs at 24/44.1 in Logic 7.01, haven't checked after installing 7.1.

7.1 works great, finally! Crashes only ca one time each day, which is far less than with earlier OS X versions. I freeze stuff when I run out of CPU; the only pain is with the 32-bit freeze-format, which is too heavy on the internal drive when doing location stuff.
Old 30th July 2005
Thank you! Your posts were very helpful and I know that I want to buy a Powerbook. Although it is a half of processing power that I have right now, it will be very useful with freeze function. Right now I`m using Logic 5.5.1 on Windows Dell 700m with 1.6GHz Pentium-M (Centrino). I can get 59 instances of Platinum Verb, but I don`t have freeze function and many more cool things that version 7 offers.

Powerbook user in the nearest future, Jacko
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Powerbooks are having all sorts of problems, such as bad motherboards causing the lower RAM slot to stop working, etc.... I recommend buying a G5 Dual 2.0 for $1,999. A lot more power for the same money. Not as portable, but how often do you do remote gigs?
Old 1st August 2005
that sound strange...

There are many Powerbook and Logic users who recommend it. I really need portability and would like to use Logic 7.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

My newest one is still working, but the lower RAM slot is dead and the fan doesn't come on anymore. It's less than a year old, so it looks like I'm giving Apple another $350 for Apple Care.
Old 1st August 2005
Maybe it is only bad luck? Enyone else experienced such problem?
Old 1st August 2005
Here for the gear

i use a powerbook, logic 6, 2 896s and external HD, for remote tracking, and its never let me down.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko
Maybe it is only bad luck? Enyone else experienced such problem?
Yes, hundreds, if not thousands of Apple owners are having the same problem. And Apple is just going with the status quo. They won't admit that a recall is necessary. And they don't really give you a year warranty, it's 90 days. After that, you have to either pay $350 for Apple Care, or they will not even talk to you on the phone.

I still love my Apples, but i just thought I'd point this out. If you have the same money to put into a G5 tower, you'll get a lot more power out of it. If you must have a laptop, well, just know that you have one year to purchase the $350 Apple Care program.

Read through a few of these posts here. Apple recently deleted the one wherein hundreds of people complained about the same problem.

Apple Discussions/Powerbook/Aluminum 15"/RAM, etc...

Petition to Apple

Scroll to the bottom of that second link and read some of the comments of those who have signed the petition.
Old 2nd August 2005
As I can see the problem involves 15" models, but not 17" ones. Maybe I would be happy user of 17" 1.67GHz? Can anyone make a PV test of it for me?
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, it doesn't appear to be a problem on either 12" or 17" Powerbooks. Honestly, Apple's 15" models have had various problems for years. Bad monitors, flammable batteries, and now memory/fan/motherboard problems.

Go for a 17" and you should be happy. I haven't looked in the 17" forum, but I'll check it out so I can dig up something else to get you worried about! heh stike

But seriously, I've only owned 15" Powerbooks so far. I should have gotten a 12" Powerbook this last time.
Old 3rd August 2005
One more question, maybe a little bit stupid. How many instances of PV can you run on your PB using Freeze? I think it should be defined by maximum number of tracks multiplied by number of inserts per track, but is this true in reality? If you can do some test using Firewire drive, glad I would be
Old 19th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloman
I can run about 30 platinumverbs at 24/44.1 in Logic 7.01, haven't checked after installing 7.1.
What is your configuration? I've recently bought PB G4 1.67 and in Logic Express 7 I can run only 22 Platinum Verbs... Next week I'm getting Pro 7.1 - maybe this will make a difference but still I think PV is PV no matter it is Express or Pro...
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Nut

yikes, I just got a 15" 1.67. I hope I don't have the same problems...
Old 19th August 2005
Can you make a test?
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

Why would anyone want to run 22 or even 30 Platinumverbs?

I know, I know, it's more for a test to see how much plug-in horsepower is under the hood.

I think it's better to use Space Designer for a test, since they are far more intensive than Platinumverbs.

In any case, I'm running a G4 Powerbook 1.5 ghz with 1 GB RAM on as well with an external LaCie 250 GB Firewire 800 drive under OS X 10.3.8. I have Logic Pro, I'll glad to see how many Space Designers I can run (my guess is probably around 5-6?), give me the specs on how to run the test.
Old 19th August 2005
Because PV uses less power than SD it is better and more accurate way of benchmark. You need to have one stereo file copied onto several tracks with Platinum Verbs on them. Check how many instances of PV you can run before getting error.
Old 19th August 2005
If you don't want to help don't waist your time on posting in my thread.

For knowledge of all people here - it takes 60-80 seconds to prepare PV test arrange. If you have Logic and 1.5 or 1.67 Powerbook please make a test and post your results in this thread.
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
the start of the post was deleted by the moderator
check this link out, I think you'll find it informative:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...020&highlight=
Old 20th August 2005
Powerbook 1.5 and 1.67 users please post your test results here. Above you can find short explanation how to perform the Platinum Verb test. Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search