The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
upgrading my processor
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

Question upgrading my processor

Can anyone advise what the maximum speed CPU I can install in this spec motherboard please?

I'm running Logic, 1 gig RAM, 2.4 CPU...

Chipset: North Bridge Intel 845PE

CPU Socket is 478B , 533/400 MHz system bus

Is it worth upgrading or should I get a new system? I'm finding I'm using more and more virtual instruments and this is making the creak a bit

Thanks, also can anyone recommend a good UK online store to buy a CPU from? Are they easy to install, I've never upgraded / installed a processor...
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

What drive are you using? Also, how many VI's are you running at once?

Have you got 2 x 512mb memory modules, or 1 x 1gb?

Ciao
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubaloo
Can anyone advise what the maximum speed CPU I can install in this spec motherboard please?

I'm running Logic, 1 gig RAM, 2.4 CPU...

Chipset: North Bridge Intel 845PE

CPU Socket is 478B , 533/400 MHz system bus

Is it worth upgrading or should I get a new system? I'm finding I'm using more and more virtual instruments and this is making the creak a bit

Thanks, also can anyone recommend a good UK online store to buy a CPU from? Are they easy to install, I've never upgraded / installed a processor...
HI,
not worth upgrading at all. a new sub-system would be best

Scott
ADK
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild
HI,
not worth upgrading at all. a new sub-system would be best

Scott
ADK

thanks for the replies, what do you mean by a sub-system?

i have 2 x 512 ram and 7200 rpm seagate drives

cheeers
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

I agree with scott....waste of time mate. The maximum chip that you can whack on that board is 3.06 gig I think. It will only give you a %15 increase in power.
Here is the beastie....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116155

I don't think that it's really worth the trouble.
H.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Nut

so is it time for me to build a top spec athlon system then?

or buy a mac and upgrade to logic 7

or build another intel system....

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc -

it never ends.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hammer, I'm confused by your maths... from 2.4 to 3.06 is a 27.5% increase in processor speed... but that aside, my recomendation would also be a decent upgrade. I recently went from 2.4 to 3.2 (I have an 875 board), and the performance increase for my DAW was noticeable, projects with lots of plugins that were previously sitting at very high CPU utilisation, to the point that playback would stop, are now working a treat.

Anyway, There are additional major performance benefits to be gained from;
Faster Front Side Bus (data in and out of the CPU)
Faster RAM Clock
Dual Channel RAM architecture

The big question at the moment for building a new DAW seems to be chipset related... do you go to 915/925/945 with PCIe and a limited number of "legacy" PCI slots, or stick with 875 (which I chose to do eventually), for the number of available PCI slots and known chipsets, which are known to work with existing audio hardware. 915/925/945 boards will also have a limited number of IDE (PATA) connectors, having transitioned to SATA as the primary interface for HDDs.

Personally I would (and have) move to Intel SATA RAID0 anyway, if you're working with lots of tracks you need fast HDD access...

I'm wondering how long before we start seeing PCIe pro-audio interfaces?...

Just my 2c, do with it as you please
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Should have added...

If your gear is all USB or Firewire, I'd probably look at 915/925/945

Intel are about to release 945G boards with ICH7R.... definately worth a look. According to Intel they have been released, but we cannot get them here in Aus from any of our suppliers yet.

models include;

uATX
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/tp/
Models with RAID: D945GTPLKR D945GTPLR

ATX
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/nt/
Models with RAID: D945GNTLKR D945GNTLR

You'll need DDR2 RAM, the Intel GFX will be great if you only use 1 display, otherwise you will need a dual-head PCIe 16x GFX Card.

Add to this 2x SATA HDDs (it;s worth it, for the speed you'll get from RAID1 on a controller integrated into the chipset...)

Then see what the fastest Socket 775 P4 is that you can afford Go at least 3.2GHz. Keep in mind the 6xx series benefit from 64-bit extensions and 2MB of cache... but does your DAW software have a 64-bit version? and do you want the headaches that go with finding drivers for the Win XP 64-bit edition? You can just benefit from the 2MB of cache & ignore the EM64T extensions until a later date.

****e, I'm probably giving you information overload? :P sorry...

Anyway, stick those bits together & you'll be set to make music & not worry too much about upgradeing your PC for a couple of years...

Matt
Old 8th August 2005
because AMD did great improvements on compatibilty over the last years, maybe take a look @ AMD's 64bit processors. I recommend running the CPU on ABIT, Intel or ASUS mainboards.

watch out for the 2nd level chache.. 2megs are cool
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieL0max
I'm wondering how long before we start seeing PCIe pro-audio interfaces?...
Mee too ... anyone have any news on that ?
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieL0max
from 2.4 to 3.06 is a 27.5% increase in processor speed...

2.4 gig should Dhrystone at about 6300 MIPS while a 3.06 should Dhrystone at around 7700 MIPS. Thats around a 20% jump in benchmark, roughly.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Asus and AMD 64 is a killer combo.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

you do realise MIPS = Meaningless Indicator or Processor Speed?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search