The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Voxengo Elephant users!
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Voxengo Elephant users!

Hello.
I really like the Voxengo Elephant plugin.
Does anyone here use it?
What sources do you use it on?
Any favourite settings?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

I use it and think its brilliant. Its without any shadow of a doubt the best software limiter out there. Beats L2 and L3 easily.

You can really push up your rms level with this thing and keep the sound intact.

I use El1 El2 El3 and clip mode. Depends on the tune. I also always use the 4* oversampling mode. The dither is very nice to.

I think its fantastic, but then again all Aleskeys Voxengo plugs are cool.

Curve eq also has a really cool limiter, more coloured but very good for different flavours.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thank you for posting.
May I ask which of the El1, El2, El3 modes do you use more frequently?
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

Love this thing as well. I use the punchy +4.5 preset and tweak to taste. If I want a smoother sound then I'll try the ultra smooth settings.

I usually just use on the master out to tame peaks
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Do you use the Bessel or the Butterworth filter?
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Addict

haven't played around with those too much yet so i leave them off for now
Old 2nd August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhmos
Do you use the Bessel or the Butterworth filter?
I can hear a big difference between them. Often tend to use the butterworth, becuase it preserves the bass a bit more. Sometimes I get the feeling that it produces a bass boost (?).
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

But the filters are there to cut, not boost.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachime
I can hear a big difference between them. Often tend to use the butterworth, becuase it preserves the bass a bit more. Sometimes I get the feeling that it produces a bass boost (?).

Interesting, i should try this out!
Old 26th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Please allow me to bring this thread back...
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

I recently purchased Soniformer and Elephant. They installed without a hitch. Both are great.

I was wondering how you all use the slope control, which seems to add brightness as you turn clockwise. Like program EQ, you have to watch it, it's easy to over process, and fool yourself.

Next question. What would be the point of turning the output less than 0. In order to drive harder into the compression? If my output is at zero, and I'm running about 3dB-4dB gain, things are loud and full, but maybe not as loud and full as a comercial release. I' ve come to the conclusion they must be really slamming the limiter, more than I am.

Sorry, not sure how to phrase the question exactly.
Old 11th December 2005
Gear Nut

That plug is worth it for the butterworth filter alone. . I am using more UAD limiters on the 2 bus now, but i still like to drop the elephant right after that doing nothing but acting as a filter/dither. . . drop on the butterworth, watch the bass pop out like never before! It really tightens things up!
Old 13th December 2005
Gear Addict

funny thing happened to me on a mix last week, it's a metal project, when i strapped the elephant v2.3 on the mix buss, the snare was gone. i mean it was squashed to mush, everything i tried wouldn't work, I've never had any problems with it and i usually love it. so i said maybe it's my mix, so i putz around with the mix for a while and nothing. So i finaly decided i have an 1178 why not try it, it worked like a charm and if anything the snare snaps even harder.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search