The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
fixing digi brickwalled track?
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Question fixing digi brickwalled track?

I did a multitrack of Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey with George Garzone and Brad Barr sitting in. I pulled 15 tracks and was using two MOTU 896's. Somehow I forgot to switch 2 channels to mic from line. This was the Rhodes piano a main part of this trio. So sometimes it's fine but when he's hammering on it it does sound crunchy. The waveforms are flat on top and bottom. It was not clipping on the meters and you cannot monitor each track individually while tracking.

Does anyone know a trick to smoothing out the brickwalled crunch on this track? this might be used on a DVD (then again

I did have a pair of KM184's onstage and can build arounf this but obviously it's not preffered. I have not gotten to listen to the entire 2.5 hours but there seems to be a fair amound of material that is not distorted.

By the way. I'm running digital performer 3 and have no plug ins on this setup. Though I have access to a PC with wavelab and alot of Waves and TC stuff on it.
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Maniac

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if it clipped+distorted on input. If you really need these tracks I would suggest using them at a lower level and try to build around the KM184's you had on stage--that is of course assuming the 184's picked up a decent amount of the rhodes.

Good luck.
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Maniac

Thats what I'm working on now. It is gonna work well too. I tried a few things with no god result so this is my redemption effort...
Old 23rd April 2003
Here for the gear

Samplitude has an unclipping function. I have not realy had any use for it yet. It is supposed to try to calculate, where the flat samples should have gone by using information from the surounding samples.
Old 23rd April 2003
Here for the gear

If you email me a 10sec part of the clipped track, I can give it a go thru Samplitude and mail it back to you.
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

FWIW I've had decent luck with the waves restoration bundle. Used it to "remove" distortion from drunken trumpet players bell on mic blasts during live recording... pretty awesome results

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search