The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools Pre Qualified PC's (Terra Digital Audio) = Apple Watch Out!
Old 17th October 2005
Gear Nut

For the average Pro tools user. Who also uses a computer for business/school/leisure. Mac seems like the obvious choice. If I was using a PC for protools I wouldn't dare do anything else on it simply because of the virus'/trojans etc. The Music is like a big bag of cash...I want to keep it as safe as possible. And I feel totally confident downloading/chatting etc etc on my mac even while I'm running protools (with no slow down). No Norton slow down and no Windows XP.

BTW I used to have a PC (tech I still have it) and I ran XP on it. I hated XP for one reason alone. If I had more than 3 web pages opened at once and wanted to open Outlook express...The whole system slowed. On the Mac I can run literally 30 different windows at once without a care.

just my .02
Old 17th October 2005
Lives for gear

Hey RS, I am using the folowing:

Athlon XP3200
Asus A8V MB
Samsung Dual 1gig PC3200 memory
Asus 258mg DDR Dual Video Card
Maxtor Harddrives 1-80gig 1-250gig 16meg cache
WinXp Pro Tweaked from here http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php
Asus 2-19" Flat screen

Working flawless, I have other info for tweaking but just not at hand.
Email me if you need this info at digilin at aol dot com
Old 17th October 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointbreakd
For the average Pro tools user. Who also uses a computer for business/school/leisure. Mac seems like the obvious choice. If I was using a PC for protools I wouldn't dare do anything else on it simply because of the virus'/trojans etc. The Music is like a big bag of cash...I want to keep it as safe as possible. And I feel totally confident downloading/chatting etc etc on my mac even while I'm running protools (with no slow down). No Norton slow down and no Windows XP.

BTW I used to have a PC (tech I still have it) and I ran XP on it. I hated XP for one reason alone. If I had more than 3 web pages opened at once and wanted to open Outlook express...The whole system slowed. On the Mac I can run literally 30 different windows at once without a care.

just my .02
I don't know what was wrong with your system.. but I just opened 3 web pages and Outlook and it opened immediately. I also have Pro Tools HD3 Accel running as well as 4 other apps plus a bunch of startup items.

I have an old Asus P4C800Deluxe Pentium 4 2.6 GHz with 1 Gig of RAM system running XP Pro SP2.

I also run Pro Tools under OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.4.2 and 10.3.8 and my XP system is the most responsive and never crashes.

Rail
Old 17th October 2005
Lives for gear

the KEY....to a successfull windows daw pc is to load up on memory for multitracking and music/plug in apps.
the biggest problems i see are folks running ridiculously low levels of memory from the ones ive helped fix up.
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

Typical mac bashing thread, but I'll bite: why does Rob G. think a Pro Tools certified PC is going to put Apple out of the DAW business?

-- PT has been Windows compatible for some time now.

-- Will studios really spend thousands on mics, treatment, outboard gear etc., and then bargain shop for the cheapest computer for the DAW?

Quote:
And in a matter of months to two years Apple will have all Intel chips any how so what's the difference.
The major (but not only) difference is and will always be the OS. I suspect that's why many studios still choose mac despite the abundance of cheap PC units.

dfegad Windows

heh
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

Windows doesn't s*cks, don't be so childish. But, you are totally right if it comes up to PC's conquering PT's Mac place. Most studio's own Macs and are used to them. I don't see a change coming neither. Mac will continue dominating the creative part of business. PT might loose ground to native solutions tho' like LogicPro, Nuendo etc. That, I think is more likely to happen...

Regards,

RS
Old 18th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr
Windows doesn't s*cks, don't be so childish.
Hey, I never said Windows sucks! I just implied I'd rather pee on a Windows machine than use it for a DAW! heh C'mon, what do you expect from a Mac vs. PC thread anyway?

PS. Windows does suck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search