The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools Pre Qualified PC's (Terra Digital Audio) = Apple Watch Out!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
Now this is funny.

NOW guys are talking about how lame OS9 was. But when there was no OSX, they said OS9 was rocksolid.

And when an application quits, that means it crashed. The fact it deosn't bring the whole machine down is secondary. Fact is, that you were booted out of your workign environment. I'll repeat. IT CRASHED.
I don´t think it´s´secondary at all if you have many apps running at the same time,
if one of them crashes it´s just to start it again, and continue were u were.

I have experienced a HD to malfunction because a system freeze (can´t move the cursor, can´t do annything except pull the plug). to me this is worse..

when I say that os9 sucks, it does so in comparison to os x. I did not understand exactly what jlotto whom I quoted ment, but I understood it as he felt os9 was more stable than os x, So u have to understand what I said as a reply to that not as something that I feel generally. ehh!
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

This PC based PT is tempting, but I will never trust any gear running any version Microsoft Windows.

But we can still dream of a stand alone digidesign hardware system.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
NO I´m not kidding, I have experienced os X freeze maybe once or twice ever!!

It happens that applications quit but it doesn´t meen reboot. Os 9 is ****ed up..

What do you meen original topic? It concerns custombuilt PC´s for protools NO?
I just feel I had to mention the fact that they will have to run Windows and it SUCKS..

Do you like viruses?

Of course it´s cheaper to build it yourself, like it´s also cheaper to build your own home by yourself, or do anything by yourself instead of paying someone else to do it.

But if you get trouble with your computer, then you get support, you have a guarantee that the parts in the computer won´t interfeer, stable drivers etc.
You dont have to spend time checking all the tweaks you can just start the computer and it suppose to work.

Building it yourself is cheap if your time is worthless.

First off. U have obvioulsy never run Win XP. I have 2 WinXp machines and 2 G5's. WinXp are rock solid- do a search here. OSX still has bugs- do a search here. We finally got our Accel 3 systems stable then here comes another osx revision which I refuse to take right now. As far as viruses. U never hook ur main daw up to the net- mac or pc. Also i never mentioned building the pc myself. There are many non-daw pc builders out there who will give u the same configuration as an adk or dawbox, etc. for about $1000 less. U do get a warranty with that and it comes built already. Go to musicxp for ur winxp tuning tips and keep it movin. Been doin that for years for my samplitude systems. daw builders will disagree cause that's their livelihood but the facts are the facts
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun
Well, maybe treating a computer as a religious icon instead of a tool is the issue (this tends to blind so many Mac users to the real world).

For the record, I have been building my own PCs for 15 years, and if Apple made it possible for me to do this, I might buy their OS and give it a spin. My PCs never crash, but even though it is easier to do these days than it was 15 years from now, I can't recommend that every musician learn how to do this. Hence, the need for companies like Terra.
And what you are blinded by is that the platform is not just a box that sits there, it is part of the creation process. Engineering is really an art just as song writing and performing is. It's not just some technical process that only relies on specs. One needs to be in the right frame of mind, and the more inspired, the better an engineer can perform. So just buying a machine due only to some specs and cost may work for demos, but for making records it's about what keeps the creative juices flowing for the user (be it Mac or Windows).

As someone who uses both, I can say that using windows would be dreadful for me and would really put a hamper on my work. The OS is just too mechanical and steril feeling to do creative work. The Mac OS is just the opposite for me. And likewise, when it comes to office type stuff, like typing documetns, browsing the web, sending e-mail, etc I feel just the opposite. I hate doing that stuff on the Mac OS and find windows much more pleasing in those areas.

But the point is not to write this off as some idiots who think of the computer as a religious icon. Some people light candles and create vibe in their studio to help inspiration. This doen't stop at the OS, and for many of us Windows is just a vibe killer. Now THAT is the real world. ;-)
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless
And what you are blinded by is that the platform is not just a box that sits there, it is part of the creation process. Engineering is really an art just as song writing and performing is. It's not just some technical process that only relies on specs. One needs to be in the right frame of mind, and the more inspired, the better an engineer can perform. So just buying a machine due only to some specs and cost may work for demos, but for making records it's about what keeps the creative juices flowing for the user (be it Mac or Windows).

As someone who uses both, I can say that using windows would be dreadful for me and would really put a hamper on my work. The OS is just too mechanical and steril feeling to do creative work. The Mac OS is just the opposite for me. And likewise, when it comes to office type stuff, like typing documetns, browsing the web, sending e-mail, etc I feel just the opposite. I hate doing that stuff on the Mac OS and find windows much more pleasing in those areas.

But the point is not to write this off as some idiots who think of the computer as a religious icon. Some people light candles and create vibe in their studio to help inspiration. This doen't stop at the OS, and for many of us Windows is just a vibe killer. Now THAT is the real world. ;-)
Spot on, I totally agree!!
If a "PC" one day runs with Mac os, and does it well, I would maybe go for it.
-But with Windows installed...no way, jose!!
The combination of Mac os X & Pro Tools is fantastic...

KK
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

You know to me it isn't just the good looks ;-) the reason to use OS X, it also isn't that all the viruses, trojan horses and who knows what is non-existent on Mac..it is what lies underneath..if you can live with the dll's, registry (that will get corrupted with time) and the mess (IMHO) that Windows is then it's OK. My Mac is certainly my netmachine too..no troubles with that :-), but to each with this own...the bottom line is that both systems are capable at the right hands.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlotto
First off. U have obvioulsy never run Win XP. I have 2 WinXp machines and 2 G5's. WinXp are rock solid- do a search here. OSX still has bugs- do a search here. We finally got our Accel 3 systems stable then here comes another osx revision which I refuse to take right now. As far as viruses. U never hook ur main daw up to the net- mac or pc. Also i never mentioned building the pc myself. There are many non-daw pc builders out there who will give u the same configuration as an adk or dawbox, etc. for about $1000 less. U do get a warranty with that and it comes built already. Go to musicxp for ur winxp tuning tips and keep it movin. Been doin that for years for my samplitude systems. daw builders will disagree cause that's their livelihood but the facts are the facts
Ofcource I have run win xp, (how could one avoid it?). If U are happy with your gear
good then, but what you call facts are in fact just based on anecdotes, hence does not serve as evidence.

Question, why do you keep changing the os to the latest revision, it´s´smarter to wait until drivers are more mature (I´m still using panther, why should I change?)

The virus issue applies as soon as you have clients who brings their own harddrives/DVD-roms etc. of course you do not hook up to the net with the DAW (espesially a
windows DAW)

Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

I'll bet any of you mac users that I am getting half again the track and plugin count that you can get with PTLE. My new machine is 4 months old and has not crashed yet. My old PC ran for 2 years with maybe 1 or 2 crashes. I may be the exception but my pc kicks ass.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Nut

if digidesign where to release the newest version of pt hd that ran on nt using cpu farms would all the loyal mac fans here stick with the old dsp card systems? just because of a ms hatred? just wondering..
to me all this anti ms seems silly.. i took the switch over 2 years ago around the same time opcode went down.. as a composer that relies on midi everyday more than digital audio i couldnt be bothered with running motu free midi in oms compatibility mode.. into a stealthport serial port hack for my old interface that was incompatible with g4's when they came out.. im glad i dont have those kind of problems anymore..
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ciel
This PC based PT is tempting, but I will never trust any gear running any version Microsoft Windows.

But we can still dream of a stand alone digidesign hardware system.
Then I guess the Digi Venue is garbage, ad is the TC Elctronics Sytem6000, one of the most popular reverbs today. Becasue both run on an embedded version of Windows.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are many non-daw pc builders out there who will give u the same configuration as an adk or dawbox, etc. for about $1000 less. U do get a warranty with that and it comes built already.

$1000 LESS? i think your numbers are a little Skewed there.

only way i make that kinda of money is if its a dual opteron ($350 build fee),and you bought software and alot of hardware.
like Nuendo, and 2 Madi cards (which i discount off map with a system)

sheesh according to your profit margine i should be driving a BMW not a 10 yr old pickup.

as a side note those non-daw builders wouldnt have a clue as to what to reccomend based on your use and audio interface.

Scott
ADK
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild
as a side note those non-daw builders wouldnt have a clue as to what to reccomend based on your use and audio interface.
of course they dont its a consumer oriented market and thay have no idead about professional setups, you do your research and tell them exacly what you want
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
If most people want to build their own computers then why have companies like Dell's sales gone up in the last quarter even.
Rob G I respect what your saying. I think that most people get suckered by these manufacturers and buy these pre-fab crap from Dell and the like. I also agree that most people want convienance over the value of doing it yourself.

My contention is that any musician/ recording enthusist that cares enough about their sound enough to carefully select their instrument, spends thousands on mics, preamps, compressors, and such. Then goes to a place like Dell to get, argueably, the most important part of their system, they are making a serious mistake. Not only are you getting a terrible machine, they don't even give you a real copy of your OS, just some lame restore disk.

Also, if someone cares enough to get a hand crafted computer especially for audio from some boutique audio computer place then you are making another mistake that is almost as fundamental. First off your paying too for the machine, if you part out the system you will spend alot less money. There is no "special sauce" in these machines to make them better. If you can wire a audio or midi studio and can't assemble a PC then you got some serious problems, it aint that hard.

As for support, there are thousands of forums and websites dedicated to troubleshooting, and also the specific component manufacturers who have tech support. I have always found the component manufacturers support as good, or often better, then any of the big assemblers like Dell.

All in all, doing it yourself costs less and you end up with a better machine.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
And what you are blinded by is that ...
Not blinded. Trust me, clueless

Quote:

I never said anybody was an idiot. Calm down.

Convincing yourself that an operating system is anywhere near a vibe killer is just plain self-hating. DAW software, a plugin GUI, whatever, but an OS???? When you use Logic or Sonar, you don't see an OS, you see a program.

Since I use both, I could make a list (in fact I have) of the strengths and weaknesses of both OSs, and this list will always end in a draw. To repeat myself, Apple makes an appliance, Microsoft makes an OS, and the hardware/software comparison is a non-starter until you are comparing expensive computing appliances.

This arguement is soooo 1998.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Lightbulb

cultureofgreed,

Quote: ".........As for support, there are thousands of forums and websites dedicated to troubleshooting, and also the specific component manufacturers who have tech support. I have always found the component manufacturers support as good, or often better, then any of the big assemblers like Dell. .........

-cultureofgreed

This may be true, & especially in your particular situation. But, for others answers via tech. support can save time, & money. Especially if it's a full blown professional situation, & your system goes down in the middle of a $250/hr. session. Surfing the internet I think will only make your clients uncomfortable, & this during a timeframe when ethically you should'nt be charging them. I've called Dell smack dead in the middle of night, & gotten help this even on a PC that was 5 years old. But to each his own.

Rob G.. stike heh
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
If they really want´s to get rid of apple I think they should extend DAE and make the computer boot directly into a very small and streamlined os justcapable of running
Protools.

Leave windows out of the system, please!!
Great point!

I don't believe in running PT on a computer with other software. My present system is a PT only system and runs well although there's still room for improvement.

I would love to use a streamlined DAE/OS configuration if Digi ever put one out.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun
Not blinded. Trust me, clueless

I never said anybody was an idiot. Calm down.

Convincing yourself that an operating system is anywhere near a vibe killer is just plain self-hating. DAW software, a plugin GUI, whatever, but an OS???? When you use Logic or Sonar, you don't see an OS, you see a program.

Since I use both, I could make a list (in fact I have) of the strengths and weaknesses of both OSs, and this list will always end in a draw. To repeat myself, Apple makes an appliance, Microsoft makes an OS, and the hardware/software comparison is a non-starter until you are comparing expensive computing appliances.

This arguement is soooo 1998.

The blinded comment was a retort to you calling mac users blind. And no one is anything but calm (unless youa re upset). And to say that calling an operating system a vibe killer is self hating is plain rediculous. EVERYTHING affects vibe. To say wanting to be in creative enviornment is self hating? I mean come on now. let's be realistic. Again, you see everything as inanimate objects and only numbers, but for most of us, this is an art not a day job. This is why everyone chooses different DAWs and OS's. EVeryone is different and they choose the software an hardware that makes them work the best. The OS makes ALL the difference in the world. And for many of us who aren't jsut thinking about how much money we are saving or how practical we are being, but rather just want to be as productive and creative as possible, Windows is a real weenie shrinker.

If you enjoy windows, that's great, whatever flaots anyones boat. But you don't have a right to tell oters what they shuld think or tell them they are wrong for how they feel.

On the upside, the new version of windows looks promising. A bit of a rip off of OS X, but if it looks and feels good, that's fine by me, so long as it isn't as boring, ugly and uninspiring to me as Windows XP.

And as for the crashing argument, I have no more crashes on my Macs than on my Windows system and vice versa.
Old 5th August 2005
Deleted bd1be4f
I can't believe in the year 2005 there is still anybody beating that dead horse of Mac vs. PC. They're both tools, nothing more, and at present, either one will do the job of running Pro Tools with flying colors. Period.

I use Pro Tools on Mac at some studios, I use it on PC at others, it's all seamless and a non-issue, and I can switch back and forth without any differences or issues. Macs are great, PC's are great. Give me a great song or artist, and I care not what platform I'm using.

As far as the vibe or creativity angle, to each his own, but I personally come from the school that vibe and creativity comes from the creator, not the environment, and if you need to change the environment to be properly creative, you're short changing yourself. Hell, look at the Beatles. They made some of the most inspiring and creative work in all of popular music in what was one of the most sterile, uninspiring rooms at Abbey Road, with technicians in white lab coats. But it was about them, not their environment.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854
I can't believe in the year 2005 there is still anybody beating that dead horse of Mac vs. PC. They're both tools, nothing more, and at present, either one will do the job of running Pro Tools with flying colors. Period.

I use Pro Tools on Mac at some studios, I use it on PC at others, it's all seamless and a non-issue, and I can switch back and forth without any differences or issues. Macs are great, PC's are great. Give me a great song or artist, and I care not what platform I'm using.

As far as the vibe or creativity angle, to each his own, but I personally come from the school that vibe and creativity comes from the creator, not the environment, and if you need to change the environment to be properly creative, you're short changing yourself. Hell, look at the Beatles. They made some of the most inspiring and creative work in all of popular music in what was one of the most sterile, uninspiring rooms at Abbey Road, with technicians in white lab coats. But it was about them, not their environment.

Hey, I agree but I don´t know, Microsoft, I just love to hate them. They have almost a monopoly position on the market, have stolen most of their ideas (gui, browsers etc) have thousands of viruses and malware on their platform. I just read today that the first virus for windows vista was released, now thats funny it´s not even released yet.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/...viruses_1.html

When apple seems to be the company that introduces new tecnology and innovations on the market (usb, firewire etc), I wonder why microsoft hang on to their serialinterface sooo long just to copy the much better and hot swapable standard.
I just find mac´s to be better computer considering all aspects.
Andlastly this is gear sluts right? So I think it would be justified. heh heh heh
Old 5th August 2005
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
I just read today that the first virus for windows vista was released, now thats funny it´s not even released yet.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/...viruses_1.html
That is funny. Definitely another reason not to keep your DAW directly connected to the net.

Anyway, no doubt MSFT has stolen a good number of its ideas from Apple, and is a monopolistic entity, but that's a whole other conversation. I just wanted to address the idea of usability and functionality, regardless of platform.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
u kidding. mac osx has yet to be stable for us as os9. each revision has caused lock ups and many re-boots. our win XP machines are as stable as it comes right for the past 2years.
Really? Exact opposite experience here. Haven't had a system crash on my OSX system in years. Probably not since 10.1. Although the XP systems I've worked on have been fairly stable (much more so that 98), I've still experienced quite a few fatal crashes. Also, I can't stand the constant threat of viruses, spam and spyware. I know there are ways around all of that, but personally I have work to do and I don't want to be bothered.

Reuben
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
When apple seems to be the company that introduces new tecnology and innovations on the market (usb, firewire etc), I wonder why microsoft hang on to their serialinterface sooo long just to copy the much better and hot swapable standard.
I may be remembering wrong, but I recall Apple being kinda late to jump onto the USB bandwagon, sorta like with PCI and AGP.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, maybe you´re right I think it came with the first imac´s (early 98), but when comparing apple to pc you really compare one company to all the other manufacturers, and I think that the usb as standard on most pc´s were only available as a card option until very late aswell.

Since all pc manufacturers are really just clones made to run thirdparty os they arent really in a position to bring new inovations or standards since it´s not supported in the os, the same goes for the os, it can´t really bring new innovations that demands new hardware since microsoft don´t have any controll over the hardware.
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I may be remembering wrong, but I recall Apple being kinda late to jump onto the USB bandwagon, sorta like with PCI and AGP.
Fredrik mentioned Firewire as well. Apple is responsible for Firewire.

"In the mid-1980s, engineers at Apple Computer developed a high-speed method of transferring data to and from the hard drives inside Macintosh desktops while simplifying the internal cabling. They called it FireWire.

The company soon realized that the technology could also connect machines to external peripherals. So Apple brought FireWire to the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), hoping to make it a standard for Macintosh- and Windows-based PCs. In December 1995, the IEEE released an official FireWire specification called IEEE 1394, which describes data-transfer speeds of 100 Mbps, 200 Mbps, and 400 Mbps. Unlike USB, FireWire is not used with simple devices like mice and keyboards. Running at speeds of 100 Mbps and above from the very beginning, FireWire was never intended for such peripherals.

Even before the specification was finalized, FireWire took on a life of its own, finding its way into not only computers and peripherals but also consumer electronics devices. Sony built it into digital camcorders and other electronic gear, calling it i.LINK, and the rest of the camcorder industry soon followed suit. During the late 1990s, such camcorders worked with only a handful of computers; few PC manufacturers equipped their machines with FireWire ports.
Not surprisingly, Apple and Sony were the two most prominent companies that made FireWire-compatible devices. But over the past three years, the technology has gained a foothold in desktops and notebooks from a much wider range of manufacturers and found its way into scanners, web cams, external hard drives, and external optical drives. FireWire has also taken off like wildfire in televisions, audio appliances, and gaming consoles. About 60 million devices shipped with FireWire ports in 2002, according to research firm In-Stat/MDR."
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
This may be true, & especially in your particular situation. But, for others answers via tech. support can save time, & money. Especially if it's a full blown professional situation, & your system goes down in the middle of a $250/hr. session. Surfing the internet I think will only make your clients uncomfortable, & this during a timeframe when ethically you should'nt be charging them. I've called Dell smack dead in the middle of night, & gotten help this even on a PC that was 5 years old. But to each his own.

Rob G.. stike heh
To me this doesn't make much sense either Rob.

If a computer goes down in the middle of a $250 an hour session I really doubt there is anything a Dell Tech in India can do over the phone to fix it. A full system crash, where a piece of hardware has failed, is not getting fixed over the phone. Only replacing the hardware will fix it, and software issues should not be beyond the scope of competent user to troubleshoot. You would need a back up machine if your charging those kind of rates. Sessions should be on a external drive for quick swapping to the back up machine.

The tech support I was meaning was getting the computer up and running correctly. There is a vast wealth of knowledge out there on how yourself. Once my machines are up they rarely die. My mom's machine did take a lightning hit this year , but besides that I have about 15 machines that I put together that are running right now without a hitch.

I do admit though that there is a "machismo" when you build your own machine and a pride in knowing that you can do it better and cheaper. There just is not a desktop PC on the market, worth the money, that I can't just build myself.
Old 6th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureofgreed
Rob G I respect what your saying. I think that most people get suckered by these manufacturers and buy these pre-fab crap from Dell and the like. I also agree that most people want convienance over the value of doing it yourself.

My contention is that any musician/ recording enthusist that cares enough about their sound enough to carefully select their instrument, spends thousands on mics, preamps, compressors, and such. Then goes to a place like Dell to get, argueably, the most important part of their system, they are making a serious mistake. Not only are you getting a terrible machine, they don't even give you a real copy of your OS, just some lame restore disk.

Also, if someone cares enough to get a hand crafted computer especially for audio from some boutique audio computer place then you are making another mistake that is almost as fundamental. First off your paying too for the machine, if you part out the system you will spend alot less money. There is no "special sauce" in these machines to make them better. If you can wire a audio or midi studio and can't assemble a PC then you got some serious problems, it aint that hard.

As for support, there are thousands of forums and websites dedicated to troubleshooting, and also the specific component manufacturers who have tech support. I have always found the component manufacturers support as good, or often better, then any of the big assemblers like Dell.

All in all, doing it yourself costs less and you end up with a better machine.
I certainly agree that anyone who's serious about recording on a PC -- and has the slim modicum of intelligence it takes to do it -- should certainly consider building his own desktop machine. The word "empowering" has thankfully fallen out of use... but building your own machine really is.

Before I built my first box, even though I'd R&R'd every major component in a number of computers, I was always a little, you know, afraid of the unknown. Once I'd put one together a subassembly at a time (took about an hour and a half, with a lot of doublechecking and overcaution) I really felt like I knew my machine from top to bottom.

I wouldn't say so much that you're getting a 'terrible machine' from the big vendors -- you're just getting a general purpose machine. If you want a machine suited to specific needs, it pays to go to a trusted vendor who understands the intended purpose or to build it yourself (which is really quite simple these days, easier than setting up a high end stereo back in the old days -- particularly if you count setting up the tone arm and cartridge.)

I built my last desktop and I've always been very, very happy with it.

Because of that, it was with great trepidation that I approached shopping for and buying a laptop with the intention of using it both for business and moonlighting audio work. (I ended up getting a MOTU 828 mkII to completment it. There wasn't a whole lot of selection for mid-range FW devices then; I like the MOTU pretty okay [except for the mic pre's which are very dark and 'overly warm'] but I think I'd shop hard these days -- there are a lot of attractive units to chosse from.)

Clearly, OPMMV, but I've been very happy with my 1.4 gHz Pentium M machine (7200 RPM 60 G drive, upped from 512 to 1.25 MB of Ram) from the oft-aforementioned Dell.

At least once I stripped all the crapware out of the machine. That's where the major vendors really, really sin -- there were something like 41 (or 43, some prime number) processes running on my machine when I first got it.

Now it's down to a boot profile of 22 processes, with a RAM load size of 112 MB, and it feels pretty lean and mean.

(I strongly recommend getting a good service contract with any laptop. The 3 year next-day, onsite service contract for my refurbished laptop [which I only have used once in 1 and a half years to get a replacement rubber foot for one that fell off the first day] was only about $220. I can fix my desktop -- but I'll gladly pay someone else to crawl around inside a laptop. Swap memory or HD's, fine. Go in with a microscope and tweezers? Ha... )

Now, my paen to my major vendor notebook aside, I will certainly build my next desktop -- which I'm thinking now will probably have the next generation Pentiu M in it for heat/fan considerations -- and because the dual-core PM seems to be the future.

And, of course, for those with the budget but not the time, there's a lot to be said for the appeal of a more-or-less turnkey system from a good audio box builder -- bit or small.
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Head

ProTools seemed to be a little more stable on my old G3 266 and G4 800 QC under OS 9(Mix 3).On OS X everyday applications crash out of nowhere. My G4 dp 1.25 has been the most unstable Mac I ever had under OS X.My G5 dp 2.5 is a lot more stable but I'm always afraid of upgrades and have not been satisfied with Macs lately. Can you use a dual P4 on ProTools????
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Cool

culture of greed,

Quote: "To me this doesn't make much sense either Rob.

If a computer goes down in the middle of a $250 an hour session I really doubt there is anything a Dell Tech in India can do over the phone to fix it. A full system crash, where a piece of hardware has failed, is not getting fixed over the phone. Only replacing the hardware will fix it, and software issues should not be beyond the scope of competent user to troubleshoot. You would need a back up machine if your charging those kind of rates. Sessions should be on a external drive for quick swapping to the back up machine. .............

-culture of greed

Who says it has to be a full system crash. I've had situations where I just had to trash a driver, reinstall it, & bang the system's running again. Now knowing which driver to trash, & accessing that info. in a timely manner is of the essence at the rate of $250/hr.. Hence the 24hour tech support is worth it.

Rob G..
stike stike stike
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

All,

Terra Digital Audio needs to follow the proficiency model of Alienware for good success. Check this link:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851294,00.asp

Rob G.. thumbsup heh
Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

Talking

All,

This AMD based Dual Core CPU by Terra Digital Audio looks interesting.

Rob G..

P.S.: And just like I said. The Terra Digital Audio dealer network is unfolding, & just in time for AES NYC. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search