The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there a way to Export Selected Audio Tracks in Logic? DAW Software
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Is there a way to Export Selected Audio Tracks in Logic?

.. besides using the freeze function, which prints with all fx.. is there a way to do this?
I want to be able to export the raw files so i can import them into PT to mix.. but only ones that i've selected.
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaaat View Post
.. besides using the freeze function, which prints with all fx.. is there a way to do this?
I want to be able to export the raw files so i can import them into PT to mix.. but only ones that i've selected.
erase the tracks that you dont want temporarily and use the export all tracks to audiofiles function. After that hit command z to undo the erasing of the unwanted tracks.
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

File > Export > Track as Audio File

this will export whatever track is selected. You can also do all tracks in the project, or a specific region.

The other way to go is OMF...

hope this helps!
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpianomn View Post
File > Export > Track as Audio File

this will export whatever track is selected. You can also do all tracks in the project, or a specific region.

The other way to go is OMF...

hope this helps!
yea i've tried this.. it only exports one file
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

anyone else know a way... theres got to be a way..
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

have you tried what i suggested?
Its the only way because in Logic you can only export either one or all tracks.
By temporarily erasing unwanted tracks you can fool Logic so "export all" exports just the tracks you want.
As long as you hit command-z after the export your song will be fine.
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

If you can adjust your workflow so that you're trying to export regions, not tracks, you'll have a much easier time. Open the bin (b) and make sure the link button (top left, looks like two paper clips intertwined) is selected. Select the regions you want to export, then in the bin, go to Audio File > Save Regions As... make sure "Add to Bin" is not selected so you don't get crazy doubles and away you go!

For bonus points: set your project settings > synchronization > general > Bar Position 1111 plays at SMPTE 00:00:00:00.00 because Pro Tools starts at 0 whereas logic starts at 1. This way, your Logic's SMPTE timestamp will work in Pro Tools. This also works in reverse importing PT Tracks into Logic.
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

i wasnt aware of any problems or limitations of the undo function in logic as i never encountered that sort of behaviour.
In any case the OP could simply save the song before erasing the unwanted tracks and revert to that state after the export to avoid any undo weirdness.
Old 18th April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
i wasnt aware of any problems or limitations of the undo function in logic as i never encountered that sort of behaviour.
In any case the OP could simply save the song before erasing the unwanted tracks and revert to that state after the export to avoid any undo weirdness.
I've done the same... not ideal, but it works.
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

I've traditionally run into a bunch of problems with that, because even after reverting to a saved file if the audio bin references get moved or deleted it's a headache to get it back together... that's just been my experience.
Old 18th April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
anyone else know a way... theres got to be a way..
pack your unused tracks into a folder then:

file >export > all tracks as audio files
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Won't that still print plugins?
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

wow. i can't believe that theres no way to export selected audio tracks...

what i've been doing as a workaround is freezing, but to do this, i've got to zero out everything and bypass all plugs and auxes.. HUGE pita.. i hv songs with 56+ ch of audio..
and then logic doesnt name the frozen files in accordance to the track or region name...
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, you can't do anything with freeze files besides unfreeze them. If you are trying to export your tracks with plugs, and your tracks are labelled well, you could do the whole export all tracks as audio files deal, sift through the folder containg all of the files, and pick which ones you want to export to Pro tools.

If you want the dry, unaffected files, why don't you just import them directly from the audio files folder on your computer.

You could do a "save as" of your project, and then delete the tracks you don't want to export, and then do the export all tracks option. This would mean you can bypass the whole reverting to saved or undoing process, and leave your original project unaffected.
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniaclown View Post
Unfortunately, you can't do anything with freeze files besides unfreeze them. If you are trying to export your tracks with plugs, and your tracks are labelled well, you could do the whole export all tracks as audio files deal, sift through the folder containg all of the files, and pick which ones you want to export to Pro tools.

If you want the dry, unaffected files, why don't you just import them directly from the audio files folder on your computer.

You could do a "save as" of your project, and then delete the tracks you don't want to export, and then do the export all tracks option. This would mean you can bypass the whole reverting to saved or undoing process, and leave your original project unaffected.
i want the raw files with nothing printed.. and the frozen files are actually salvageable, just copy them to another folder.. but the business of finding what coresponds to what and bypassing is what the pita is
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Why cant you just option click the plugins on the channels you want to export? If you turn them off then all is good right? Don't forget to set the channels to "0".

I usually just save the mix I am working on as a different name then do all of the edits for export. If you are not sure what I am talking about I can upload a session that I had to do this for.
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

You can't just import the raw files directly out of your audio files folder? There won't be anything printed on them. You don't even have to go in to Logic. Unless you have all kinds of comps going. If you do, justen flatten and merge the track, and you get a new track called "comp...#". Done. Again, as long as you labelled your tracks well, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Did you try this solution I posted originally? It works well for me and you can treat multiple files at once, you just have to use regions instead of tracks. Flatten & Merge and or glue tracks...

"export regions, not tracks, you'll have a much easier time. Open the bin (b) and make sure the link button (top left, looks like two paper clips intertwined) is selected. Select the regions you want to export in the arrange window, then in the bin, go to Audio File > Save Regions As... make sure "Add to Bin" is not selected so you don't get crazy doubles and away you go!"
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
Did you try this solution I posted originally? It works well for me and you can treat multiple files at once, you just have to use regions instead of tracks. Flatten & Merge and or glue tracks...

"export regions, not tracks, you'll have a much easier time. Open the bin (b) and make sure the link button (top left, looks like two paper clips intertwined) is selected. Select the regions you want to export in the arrange window, then in the bin, go to Audio File > Save Regions As... make sure "Add to Bin" is not selected so you don't get crazy doubles and away you go!"
the only problem with that is the syncing.. it all needs to start on beat 1, bar 1.. rem this is for so you can mix in another app
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Okay, but the second half of my original post addresses that .................
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

... and it should be easy enough to set your regions up to start from 0 anyway
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
the only problem with that is the syncing.. it all needs to start on beat 1, bar 1.. rem this is for so you can mix in another app
just add a dummy region on the first beat of bar one for every track you want to turn into a region. When you merge the regions in a track that dummy regions gets merged as well and you end up with one region per track that starts on the 1.
Old 19th April 2009
Lives for gear

it aint rocket science
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
it aint rocket science
apparently it IS similar to a study of rockets... or some kind of fossil fuel propelled type of combustible engine
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

the only problem is it saves the regions as regions.. so if i have a comped vocal take starting at bar 16, etc, it gives you those indiv regions.. i need to have selected audio tracks bounced from beat 1 bar 1, no plugs, just the raw files so it can sync in another app..

seems the only way to do this is via freezing
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
just add a dummy region on the first beat of bar one for every track you want to turn into a region. When you merge the regions in a track that dummy regions gets merged as well and you end up with one region per track that starts on the 1.
the answer
Old 20th February 2010
Gear Nut

This is why my main rig is still Opcode Studio Vision Pro on an old iBook. It's sad a late 90's sequencer is still the most efficient tool I can find. Being so used to it makes Logic pretty frustrating. I wish Apple would give SVP a look.
Old 8th May 2010
F-2
Gear interested

Logic is becomming a commercial consumer product for wich you need workarounds to do standard tasks in the "professional" field.

Just spilling guts after 4 crashes, new fade suggestions by Logic and hearing eq's not compencating latency on the eq'ed parts....
Old 7th December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
wow. i can't believe that theres no way to export selected audio tracks...

what i've been doing as a workaround is freezing, but to do this, i've got to zero out everything and bypass all plugs and auxes.. HUGE pita.. i hv songs with 56+ ch of audio..
and then logic doesnt name the frozen files in accordance to the track or region name...
anything audio in logic SUCKS. period.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear interested

nice touch!

this worked like a charm!
Quote:
If you can adjust your workflow so that you're trying to export regions, not tracks, you'll have a much easier time. Open the bin (b) and make sure the link button (top left, looks like two paper clips intertwined) is selected. Select the regions you want to export, then in the bin, go to Audio File > Save Regions As... make sure "Add to Bin" is not selected so you don't get crazy doubles and away you go!

For bonus points: set your project settings > synchronization > general > Bar Position 1111 plays at SMPTE 00:00:00:00.00 because Pro Tools starts at 0 whereas logic starts at 1. This way, your Logic's SMPTE timestamp will work in Pro Tools. This also works in reverse importing PT Tracks into Logic.
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search