The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Problem with OctoPre ADAT output - Help?
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

Problem with OctoPre ADAT output - Help?

Not sure if this is in the right spot, but digital output into a computer...makes sense to me...

So I have a Focusrite OctoPre with the ADAT/AES output card.
I do not use thee AES outputs and don't have the cable for it, yet anyway...plan on getting it so I can get 2 more channels at 96K cause I only have 1 ADAT input.

So the ADAT outputs work fine up to 48k, but if I go above 48k, I get grainy distortion on the even channels(2,4,6,8) but the odd channels still work fine.
It does this no matter if I externally clock the OctoPre or if I have it the master and it does it on both ADAT outputs. Kind of wish I had the AESS cable right now to test that as well...

I did pull the digital card and re-seated it, just incase something wasn't making a good connection in there, but it did no good....

Any ideas on what's going on there? Do I have any options other than replacing the digital card?(and no, replacing the entire unit is out of the question right now!)
Old 27th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChances
Not sure if this is in the right spot, but digital output into a computer...makes sense to me...

So I have a Focusrite OctoPre with the ADAT/AES output card.
I do not use thee AES outputs and don't have the cable for it, yet anyway...plan on getting it so I can get 2 more channels at 96K cause I only have 1 ADAT input.

So the ADAT outputs work fine up to 48k, but if I go above 48k, I get grainy distortion on the even channels(2,4,6,8) but the odd channels still work fine.
It does this no matter if I externally clock the OctoPre or if I have it the master and it does it on both ADAT outputs. Kind of wish I had the AESS cable right now to test that as well...

I did pull the digital card and re-seated it, just incase something wasn't making a good connection in there, but it did no good....

Any ideas on what's going on there? Do I have any options other than replacing the digital card?(and no, replacing the entire unit is out of the question right now!)

I presume you are trying to run the OctoPre at 96khz?

Most (if not all) gear running at this rate over ADAT connections will use 2x ADAT channels per mono channel effectively cutting your I/O's by half. This would explain why only your odd channels are working.

I'm not sure about the OctoPre but my guess is that it says this somewhere in the manual.
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

what interface are you going into?

--jon
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

Yes I am trying to run it at 96k and I know that only 4 channels are supported like this.
The OctoPre splits the outputs to it's 2 ADAT jacks when running at 96k, 1-4 and 5-8.
But no matter which output I use, it's the even channels with the distortion 2&4 or 6&8.

I'm running the Focusrite into a MOTU 896HD.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

Any ideas?
Anyone?
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

i think i must be misunderstanding something... the odd chan's (4 of 'em) work fine @ 96k, but the evens are strange and distorted? sounds to me like you've got 4 chans @ 96k, and that's exactly what the MOTU says it'll do.

what am i missing?

--jon
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Nut

Running at 96K the OctoPre splits the outputs 1-4 got to the first output, 5-8 goes to the second output.
On the first output at 96k, channels 5-8 do not exist, channels 1&3 output fine, channels 2&4 are distorted.
On the first output at 96k, channels 1-4 do not exist, channels 5&7 output fine, channels 6&8 are distorted.

Make sense now?
So at 96k I get only 4 channels, 2 that work fine and 2 that are distorted...
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Nut

no 96K

the OPTIONAL DIGITAL CONVERTER for OctoPre only up to 48K

DAC Performance

Playback Sample Frequency = 44.1kHz & 48kHz

Maximum Bit Depth = 24-bit

Maximum analogue output level = +22dBu

Dynamic Range = 107dB ‘A’ weighted

ADC Performance

Sample Frequency = 44.1kHz & 48kHz

Bit Depth = 24-bit

Maximum analogue input level = +22dBu (0dBfs)

Dynamic Range = 109.5dB ‘A’ weighted

Connections

Digital in/out: ADAT-type optical ‘lightpipe’

Wordclock in/out: BNC
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Nut

I don't know where you got that information, but it is wrong...

HELLO!?! 4 of the channels work fine at 96k! the card is advertised as a 24-bit/96 kHz AES/SPDIF/ADAT™ interface card. It has a 96k selection on the front panel!
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

So the DAW or whatever you're linking it to, are up to handle the S/MUX2 standard
needed for this split and combine method?

ruudman
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Addict

Who's on first base?

Yes, who's on first.

That's what I'm asking you, who's on first?

Absolutely!
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

how do i unsubscribe from this thread?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

You can't, you run it heh

ruudman
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

octopre trouble

I never used the octopre over 48k when I had it but I sold it to someone and guess what.
They called me inquiring about this very issue.

Apparantly there was some problem with the digital cards from Focusrite and although the unit could work at 96k the add on cards weren't working properly at 96k.
I don't remember the exact details as the person I sold it too talked directly to Focusrite
but there was a fix available from Focusrite for the problem you are describing.

Sounds like you'll need to contact Focusrite customer service and send the unit to them.

Hope this info helps and you get the octopre working.

chris,
wavetrap

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search