The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nuendo 3
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

Nuendo 3

I'm thinking of getting a powermac g5 dual 2ghz and a powerbook g4 1.5ghz. Will nuendo 3 work well on both? Would a fireface 800 be a good bet for inputs? Are there any other units I could use for more inputs along with fireface? Thanks!
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Should do.

Check out this place as it will have more specific info on the questions you asked:

http://www.nuendo.com

Cheers,
Rich.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Well i can tell u that the VAST majority of Cubase SX and Nuendo users are on a PC. However, that doesen't mean that it (nuendo) won't work on a G4/G5.

But i would venture to say that Cubase SX is more geared towards a PC user.
I say this because their are always issues regarding Cubase SX being slow for G4 users on many cubase forums.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

True, but I've heard of several people running Nuendo on Mac happily with no problems. I just bought a Dual 2.0 ghz Power Mac last night myself! I'm running Logic, but anyway, it should have plenty of processing power to run Nuendo too.

Don't get a PC, it's not as fun as I thought it was at first. If you're used to Mac, stick with Mac. That's my advice anyway.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemmonthang
I'm thinking of getting a powermac g5 dual 2ghz and a powerbook g4 1.5ghz. Will nuendo 3 work well on both? Would a fireface 800 be a good bet for inputs? Are there any other units I could use for more inputs along with fireface? Thanks!
Good choice! Check the nuendo.com forum, there you will find several G5-Nuendo users who are pretty happy. Nevertheless, Nuendo on PC has a better performance...

Roger
Old 29th July 2005
I'm using Cubase SX 2, Fireface 800 and a Dual 2.5 Powermac, without any significant complaints. It's a bit of an odd setup as both Cubase and RME are sort of Windows-centric companies. I had intended to switch to Logic or DP when I replaced my PC with a Mac, but haven't found any compelling reason to do so (so far)...

Hopefully Yamaha will invest signficant resources in Cubase/Nuendo and keep it chugging along. thumbsup
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
True, but I've heard of several people running Nuendo on Mac happily with no problems. I just bought a Dual 2.0 ghz Power Mac last night myself! I'm running Logic, but anyway, it should have plenty of processing power to run Nuendo too.

Don't get a PC, it's not as fun as I thought it was at first. If you're used to Mac, stick with Mac. That's my advice anyway.

i run nuendo on a dual optern pc. i use to have a dual g5 mac. believe me, it's night and day! cubase has admitted that the their software is better optomized for pc. a friend of mine was getting more performance out of his single cpu pc than i was getting out of my dual g5. that and the fact that apple will be using pc processors starting next year should tell you something. steve jobs himself even admitted that the macs are slower at the press conference announcing that apple will be using intel processors.

so in a year a mac will be a pc anyway and that g5 you by today will be totally obsolete.
Old 29th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolo
so in a year a mac will be a pc anyway and that g5 you by today will be totally obsolete.
Neither point is true. When Macs use Intel chips they still will not be "pc's" (except in the generic sense that they are already), and a G5 purchased today will most certainly not be totally obsolete in a year. Or two. Indeed, for professional applications, it is much more likely that the G5 Powermacs will be in use long after they have quit being manufactured, as pros with working systems are not going to be beta testers for the first generation of re-compiled applications.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

they will in fact be a pc running under a different os. not that it can't run on any other pc, mac will some how make it that only the machines they manufacture will be able to run it's os. yes yo will be able to use this machine a year from now but the industry is aggressivelly move toward dual core dual processors (which nuendo will totally support anyday now) leaving the modern day mac way.....

behind. especially for a prodgram that depend on the host cpu. all i have to do is buy two new chips and switch out the ones that i have now and i'll be light years ahead of your modern day apple.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, well, my dad can beat up your dad!
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Yeah, well, my dad can beat up your dad!

lol!
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi,
I have a dual 2.0GHz G5 and a 1.5Ghz Powerbook, and I run Nuendo 3 and Pro Tools LE on both... we also have a monster PC at our studio, and one of those crazy fast gateway laptops. So I guess you could say I've had well-rounded experience using Nuendo 3 on both Mac and PC. Here are some considerations for you:

-Nuendo 3 (2, as well) runs MUCH smoother overall on PC. All across the board... editing, zooming, everything... it's way faster. The G5 runs Nuendo pretty well... but it's still not as fast as even the gateway laptop.

-There is NO direct monitoring in Nuendo on a Mac with OSX. (with OS9 there WAS direct monitoring). This is a HUGE consideration... it's what made us switch to PCs at our studio.

-That being said: Windows crashes, PCs suck with firewire drives, they aren't as stable as Macs, and definitely not as cool. I'd stick with Mac if direct monitoring is not an issue for you (i.e. if you have a traditional console or some other way of sending cue mixes before your software).

my 2 cents

-Aaron

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search