The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1 apple 30 inch HD cinema display or 2 led 24 inch led cinema displays for logic?
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Maniac

1 apple 30 inch HD cinema display or 2 led 24 inch led cinema displays for logic?

Have you had any experience with the new 30 inch apple displays running logic? would you recommend two 24 inch displays over one 30 inch although the 2 24inch displays cost more?

thanks
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnacleProdUK View Post
Have you had any experience with the new 30 inch apple displays running logic? would you recommend two 24 inch displays over one 30 inch although the 2 24inch displays cost more?

thanks

I think running 2 24" displays side by side, as opposed to one big, uber high rez 30" that you have to constantly squint and move your head around to read text makes more sense.
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
I think running 2 24" displays side by side, as opposed to one big, uber high rez 30" that you have to constantly squint and move your head around to read text makes more sense.
I have had a 30'' display for over a year now. I've never had to squint, and my daw workflow is much easier. 2 24' sounds nice as well. I guess it would have to be a personal preference.
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

get the 30. it's a whole new experience. you don't really need two displays with logic the way it is these days, all in one interface etc.

i have one 24 and don't want all that horizontal space lost with another one. i'll upgrade to a 30" by the end of the year. maybe the 24" can go above the (music) keyboard workstation so that i don't have to turn to see the monitor (it's to the side).
Old 15th April 2009

theres the mid point 27" dell too

The apple screens are largely the same as the Dells, at least they used to be, same panel, different backlight etc..

personally I'd prefer two slightly smaller over one large as I like having a dedicated screen for certain windows

narco
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
theres the mid point 27" dell too

The apple screens are largely the same as the Dells, at least they used to be, same panel, different backlight etc..

personally I'd prefer two slightly smaller over one large as I like having a dedicated screen for certain windows

narco
+1 what he say's. 2 screens is blast. 1 arrange window and 1 mixer window.
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

I've got one 30" Cinema and two 27" screens. I actually prefer to have PT with the Cinema and Logic with the two screens. After all, PT only has two and you can switch back and forth really fast on the keys but with Logic, too many windows, too much clutter--even two monitors isn't enough imo.. hahahah
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

I switched from two screens to one 30" and like my new way of doing things. I may end up hooking up one of the previous in addition to the 30", but not for Logic, which works great in the single 30" monitor.

I also think the Apple 30" is overpriced for audio professionals. You can get another brand 30" for $1k-1.2k. Mine is Gateway.

-D
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

With the "new" workflow" introduced in Logic 8 it is with only one monitor in mind. So go for a single monitor. I´ve been working with two monitors for years but with Logic 8 it is way better with one single big one.
Old 16th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
With the "new" workflow" introduced in Logic 8 it is with only one monitor in mind. So go for a single monitor. I´ve been working with two monitors for years but with Logic 8 it is way better with one single big one.
Disagree, but don't take it personally. I think Apple engineers decided to do that due to laptop users, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than for desktop users. I love love love having the arrange on a single screen and mixer/plugs on the other. Can't go back!
Old 16th April 2009
Gear Head

tomato tomato

hi guys

well i always wonder about these kind of questions because isn't it really about what suits you. How can someone answer this question for anyone else.

I cant ask anyone here what sunglasses I should buy . Yes they will both give me protection from the sun but which one do i like. Cause both options work here but how much space do you have on your desk? Do you prefer everything on one screen or the arrange on one and the mixer on the other which i prefer personally.

Blondes or brunettes , which one guys ? I prefer them fat and black so in this case none of the above.
Old 16th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

thanks

I will quote my OP in case you misread it!

I asked
Quote:
Have you had any experience with the new 30 inch apple displays running logic?
and i also asked
Quote:
would you recommend two 24 inch displays over one 30 inch although the 2 24inch displays cost more?
I never asked anybody what "they" think i should buy.. i simply asked what other peoples experience was with both types of monitor and what they would recommend from "their experiences"

So then i can make "my own" decision based on what people have said and my own needs!
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

1 made the mistake and bought 2 x 30 Inch Cinemas.
It is to big, my tip: buy 3 x 24". In the Middle the Arrange Window and left and right the Enviroment.

;-) Mathias
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Me too!!
1 arrange window and one for mixer/plugs and stuff!!
Old 17th April 2009

I would go dual screen.
Old 17th April 2009
Dor
Lives for gear

30" works well for logic here. 2 24" screens would take up too much desk space & block the monitors on my desk. I have my 30" on an articulating arm which works well for getting it out of the way when i need to.

D
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

dual screen over single screen.
any brand other than apple over apple branded displays for monetary reasons.

basically 2 24" screens will offer more real estate than 1 30" screen and come out cheaper. but...

for the money a 30" apple display costs you can get 4 24" samsungs.
or 2 24" samsungs and a 1080p projector w/ 2 replacement bulbs.
Old 17th April 2009
Gear Nut

Hi all,

Out of preference, I'd definitely go with two displays for audio work. It comes down to preference and how you work over anything else, but it certainly works best for me.

One interesting thing that I think is worth bringing up here - unless I've missed something, you can't connect two of the new 24" Apple Cinema Displays to a new Mac Pro (the March 2009 models) out of the box.

The new Mac Pro has a Mini DisplayPort and a DVI port, so you can connect one 24" LED display to the Mini DisplayPort, but then what? Apple have adapters to go from Mini DisplayPort to DVI (i.e. to connect a DVI display to a Mini DisplayPort), but as far as I'm aware there are no DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapters (i.e. to connect a new 24" Apple to a DVI port).

If you want two 24" Apple Cinema Displays on a new Mac Pro, you'll need to stump up the cash for a second graphics card that provides a second Mini DisplayPort, like the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 or ATI Radeon HD 4870... which instantly rules out a Pro Tools|HD3 system in a new Mac Pro with two Apple 24" Displays. If Logic is your pro app of choice, that's great - but buying a second graphics card just to use two Apple 24" displays? I think a lot of people will be opting for non-Apple alternatives when it comes to dual displays.

Mark
Old 17th April 2009
Gear Nut

I love my dual 30" screens (I opted for HP instead of Apple's overpriced product). Key issue with this format/size, however, is the mounting and ergonomics. I cover some of the hurdles in this blog posting I wrote a while back... (has pics too).

What has stood the test of time inside my recording studio | Adrian Saka****a's Music

Feel free to PM me with any ?s.

Cheers,
Adrian
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastonkeys View Post
I love my dual 30" screens (I opted for HP instead of Apple's overpriced product). Key issue with this format/size, however, is the mounting and ergonomics. I cover some of the hurdles in this blog posting I wrote a while back... (has pics too).

What has stood the test of time inside my recording studio | Adrian Saka****a's Music

Feel free to PM me with any ?s.

Cheers,
Adrian
Hey Adrian, what Mac Pro are you using with the 2 30" screens? My MacPro (Dual 2.66ghz) can't support two 30" screens even though it has dual dvi outs.
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

^^ you just need a new graphics card

how many people saying 'get the duals' have actually used a 30" for any real period of time?
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
^^ you just need a new graphics card

how many people saying 'get the duals' have actually used a 30" for any real period of time?
So can I just get a newer Nvdia card or must it be a specific-for-Mac card?

I've used the 30" for about 2+ years after adding another Mac Pro, I also got two 27" monitors for that one. To tell the truth, I'd rather use the 30"....
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

exactly... anyone i know who's actually used the 30" for any decent period of time would rather have that... most people that dismiss them haven't actually done that

the 27"inchers are useless unless you sit really far away from the screen - they have the same 1920x1200 res as the 24" screens, just everything looks more jumbo, which i don't like

30" is awesome, especially with the logic pro interface. if/when i get one, i'll move my 24" to the side, perhaps above my (music) keyboard so that i don't have to turn to see the screen when composing or playing the keys.

i hate sitting between two screens - i used to have that. i actually prefer having just one 24" than two. it's too wide and just not necessary, especially if you know a few key commands in logic...

yeah, you need to find which gfx card works with your machine, and you cna upgrade. it needs to have 2 dual link dvi outs (or the brand new one has a dvi and a mini displayport). doesn't have to be an nvidia either dude
Old 17th April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
agreed...

We have 2 24" in our studio and it works out very well. I just hate that pro tools doesn't let you take the mix or edit windows OUT of pro tools. So pro tools itself is not maximized but it stretched across both screens and you have to manually manage the windows inside it.

(that was my first post everyone )
Old 17th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replys guys... and Reasonsride...welcome to gearslutz!

I have been using PT and Cubase in the past with two monitors on PC but now im switching to a mac and logic im seriously considering a 30inch Cinema display....

one question about logic pro 8.... i have used Logic 7 and know that you could move windows independently of each other (i.e mixer on one monitor, arrange on the other) probably a silly question but in logic 8 i know it has a new interface with all the windows combined..... not having used logic 8, can you still detach the separate windows or are you forced to have them all in one interface (if that makes sense)
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the replys guys... and Reasonsride...welcome to gearslutz!

I have been using PT and Cubase in the past with two monitors on PC but now im switching to a mac and logic im seriously considering a 30inch Cinema display....

one question about logic pro 8.... i have used Logic 7 and know that you could move windows independently of each other (i.e mixer on one monitor, arrange on the other) probably a silly question but in logic 8 i know it has a new interface with all the windows combined..... not having used logic 8, can you still detach the separate windows or are you forced to have them all in one interface (if that makes sense)
For Logic, there are separate windows and a 'all-in-one' window as well....
Old 17th April 2009
Here for the gear

Apple wants $1,800 for their 30" 'Cinema Display'

Dell wants $1,100 for their 30 inch (simialr specs to the apple)

ANY, seriously ANY other brand is cheaper (even sony and samsung)

I can see how the apple unit may be better in a blue-ray-movie-watching sort of way but for a DAW situation I'm not sure how subtle differences (contrast ratio for example) is going to matter.

That said, if you take the Apple, Dell and NEC and look at their contrast ratio ratings, you'll see that apple is the LOWEST (700:1) NEC is second place (800:1) and Dell wins with 1000:1
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

2 screens

I like my 24 samsung and 19 square acer.

2 24"s seems like a lot of desk space.

I prefer 2 screens to a single 30"
Old 17th April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theom View Post
I like my 24 samsung and 19 square acer.

2 24"s seems like a lot of desk space.

I prefer 2 screens to a single 30"
Agreed.

I'll be the first to admit that 2 24" is a LOT of real estate on ANY kind of computer. But when you have, say 24 tracks in PTLE and the 'edit' window on the screen in front of you, then most of the 24 tracks in the mix window off to the side, It can be REALLY handy, especially now that Pro Tools finally lets you COLOR the tracks...
Old 17th April 2009
Gear Nut

I have an 24" LED ACD. It's a nice display but... The cable is kind of short. If you want to connect two to a single computer, that computer is going to need to be close to both displays. Then there is also the two graphics card thing that kind of sucks too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search