The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProTools: Change Tempo Of Recorded Material?
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

ProTools: Change Tempo Of Recorded Material?

Hi folks. Probably a very dumb question, but the manual aint giving me any real help.
I've had to do something which I didn't expect to do for another 9 months - namely record a a full live band. What could I do? They threatened me with cash.
Well now that some of the session muso's have gone the band have decided that the tempo of one track is too fast. Can I change the tempo for already recorded material say from 129bpm to 112 bpm, and if so...erm how? Sorry for the naive dumbness folks, really I am..bit of a learning curve here for me. If anyone can help me out, truly appreciated.
Kind regards
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

That's a pretty significant jump in tempo.
You can try the Time Compression plug-in under the Audiosuite window. It comes with Pro Tools. You can check out Speed by Wave Mechanics (Soundtoys), Pitch N' Time by Serato and I believe Waves has one in their Transform Bundle.

Good luck.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Addict

I´d change the tempo of rhythmic material by using strip silence (Apple U). Gives you a more natural sound. Do it like this :

- make sure all tracks you want to change are based on ticks (not samples). It´s important that the "old" tempo is dialed in at this stage.

- Do strip silence. It might take some time to twist parameters to your liking.

- Change tempo

Melodic content will be harder to change. Additionaly to the plugs Jamz mentioned, I´d give Celemony Melodyne a shot. I believe it will deliver more natural sounding tracks.

But maybe it´s faster and of course better sounding to play the track again in new tempo, even if you have to call in some muso´s again.

Regards,
Bill
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

An overall plugin-based time stretch, as suggested in the previous post, is indeed one way to go. However, as was pointed out, that big a tempo change will bring about a lot of nasty artifacts (whether it's done track-by-track, or to a final mix).

There is a second way of aproaching this, and it revolves around the slicing of individual tracks followed by the repositioning of the resulting slices in the time/space continuum. (Time stretching may play a role here also, but in a somewhat different way.) Most modern software DAW platforms now feature tools to work in this way. In ProTools, it's referred to as "Beat Detective." The manual devotes an entire chapter to it - check it out.

I hope this helps.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

You have 3 different possibilities:

1.)
Make a stereo roughmix of the song.
Try to stretch this one, but I'm pretty shure, that the tempo difference from 129 to 112 is too big. But you never know, maybe the band likes the sound. If so, mix proper and stretch the ****.
2.)
Take Abletons LIVE 5, (it's out since a week or so, http://www.ableton.com/) they have the best tempoalgorythms I heard. You can export all your single tracks into Live and then edit the Time Markers (called warp points) in each track. Now you can change the tempo of the whole song. Good luck !
3.)
Get them in the studio and let them play again (which I would do)
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

129 to 112 .... HOLY CRAP......... that's a lot. Forget about maintaining everything in phase if you do it in a multi track session.

The best result ... stunningly good imho realy .... within Pro Tools I've seen is with Serato's Pitch 'n Time. Slowing down is allways a hassle imo and I avoid it like a plague but if you have to I guess you have to,

Wavemechanics Speed is good but I'm afraid that the tempo change your going to ask is a bit too much for it.

I have a dislike for melodyne because it will mess up your sound too much even without asking it to do anything.

Either way, you're looking at somne serious compromises or recording everything at the new tempo.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

ya cat, that's not gonna sound to hot it you change it that much.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster

But maybe it´s faster and of course better sounding to play the track again in new tempo, even if you have to call in some muso´s again.

Regards,
Bill
Hi folks, thanks for all the replies, certainly gives me enough info if I ever get into a similar spot again, however, despite the fact that some of these people live over 700kms away I managed to convince them the next day that as they were musicians it would be better to scrap the track entirely and come back down to re-record it - which they have agreed is a better solution to coping with phase problems etc. and the embarrasment of not playing the thing at the correct tempo in the first place. BTW for the sessions I was using two AEA R84 mics as overheads for the drums -very nice sound :-)
Once again truly, thanks for all the tips, I've filed them away for future reference.
Kind regards
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

whatever u do get rid of all effects first
especially delay effects, reverb
one track at a time
not whole mix
thats a big jump,
i doubt u will have much luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search