The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Satisfied with Pro Tools 6?
Old 16th April 2003
Satisfied with Pro Tools 6?

How many of you guys are satisfied and have your PT 6 rig up and running real world gigs?
I have a PT LE rig and I'm waiting to get my upgrade... now w/ 6.1 out, maybe it's time to jump to X and say good bye to 9.
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Addict

I haven't used PT6LE, but as a TDM user, my advise would be to wait a bit longer. There are still a few issues that need to be worked out in order to work with confidence in a pro situation.

One of the big ones is the -6031 bug that will stop any recording and tell you that you're out of CPU headroom, even though you're running no plugins. It's no big deal in a home studio, but not the kind of thing you want to happen with an orchestra on the floor, or in any kind of "one shot" live situation.

Also there are issues with going back and forth with PT5.

Oh, and the playlist "bug". PT6 treats playlists like PT4 did. It puts the current one at the top of the list, instead of keeping them in the order they were recorded. Not Fun.

Now, ilok horror stories are starting to trickle in........

I'm confident that it will all be resolved eventually, but I'd stay with what's working at this point.

Meanwhile, no date for 6.1 has been announced.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

All valid points as posted above, but I would like to report that I am using PT 6.0 TDM in real, paying gigs and it's working ok. I say just ok cause I do very rarely get the CPU bug. Oh yeah, and I have to be in quickpunch (even when not punching, just normal recording) or else I get BAD dropouts . Other than that tho, I am able to use it just fine and like it!

Oh yeah, be sure to check the DUC, I think they have some sort of bug list they are all posting to or something. (haven't checked it myself...)

"May Alsihad be with u..."
Ian
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

I guess I'm not the norm but I'm using it all the time with virtually no issues.
drew
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

been running real world for a couple of weeks now ... verry happy with it.

Old 20th April 2003
Gear Addict

been using 6 for a couple of months now 6.01 with my hd system.
i had one problem with bomb factory plugin authorization.use it every day no problems..the only drawback i have is the lack of patch names for midi .
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

The vibe on the DUC is a bit daunting about the upgrade. I know it is hard to judge reality looking through the eyes of the DUC though.
Old 22nd April 2003
Humm... I'm still afraid of doing the move...
Maybe a little later

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search