The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves APA 32
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Waves APA 32

I talked to a Waves representative the other day and asked him a couple of questions about the Waves APA units. He told me that the APA 32 is a noisy little box, they say it´s designed for "machine rooms", which actually means that it has a couple of very noisy fans running all the time.

The APA 32 is supposed to be built from off-the-shelf PC server components that require quite some cooling. The APA 44 however is supposed to be built around a custom design that doesn´t need active cooling and therefore is quiet, albeit a good deal more expensive...

That´s no good news, the APA 44 is considerably more expensive than the APA 32, compared to the improved performance of "only" 30 percent compared to the APA 32.

Today I called a shop that already has a couple of APA 32 in store and asked them about the noise level of the APA 32. They told me the unit was about as noisy as an dual processor G4, and that is pretty noisy indeed. Too much to have it sitting besides your desk.

toby
Old 26th July 2005
nkf
Lives for gear

The APA32 is indeed very noisy. I just got mine and it's placed with 30 meters ethernet cable outside the studio, so it doesn't matter anymore. Because of the network connection you can place it anywhere. Otherwise it's running just fine within Nuendo so far and does it's job. I haven't checked it with my PT system, because I don't use it much anymore.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search