Gear Head

Which Windows

Ok im runing a athlon 64 PC
which windows shold i go for?

XP Professional
XP Home Edition
XP Media Center Edition
XP Professional x64 Edition

is x64 any good or shold i use one of the others?
or shold i just go back to 98?
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

if 98 is working for you fine...why change ?
or i would look at xp home maybe which is fine for most audio apps from my experience. me personally - i would not touch the 64 bit versions just yet...
and allow further maturation of the 64 bit OS's.
in my view i dont see the advantages of 64 bit OS's yet for audio apps.
but some might disagree with me. as long as the sound cards and your software work fine with 98 or vanilla xp according to the manufacturers of your products that is.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'd say it depends on the audio app you are using. For the most part Win 98 is not supported anymore being a 7 years old OS (and that's a lot of time in computer time), so the norm seems to be XP. I'm on XP Pro (using Pro Tools on a 002R) and that's because it's the only one that Pro Tools will run on, no 98, no 2000 or the likes. For me it's rock stable, a few monir glitches but I think there's no OS that doesn't have some. Once it's stripped down of all the unnecessary things (like redundant services and all non audio related things) it works OK. I chose the Pro edition because it can support multiple CPU systems (should a future release of PT be able to) and for its better networking capabilities.
Check with the app you are going to use, but I guess it's down to XP or 2000, as 64bit editions of all major apps aren't still up to spec.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 26th July 2005
The diff between XP Home and XP Pro is mostly in networking issues. If you need your computer to interface with a full on business network, either directly, or perhaps as a VPN client, you'll probably want to go with Pro. Otherwise, I'm not aware of many differences. (There's no prob running XP Home as part of typical home networks. This is, as much as anything, a way to push professional business users to buy the pro package.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search