The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Digi002R and Logic 7.1 Pro?
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Digi002R and Logic 7.1 Pro?

I currently have a Digi002R and Protools. I find it to be unuablely unstable. I'm CONSTANTLY losing connection with the Digi002R according to Protools, and IMHO Digidesign has added 2x as many bugs as features with each patch/revision. I constantly crash, etc....

Also my work is leaning towards more Midi based recordings now, and some of the features of logic such as expandablity ( I am not considering the $8000 expansion to PT HD as a base an "expansion" of a Digi002R) and 5.1 make it seem awesome. Plus i can use Logic with my laptop without dragging around a huge interface.

Does the Digi002R work ok with Logic? Any input? I was thinking of getting a Fireface 800, but then i'd have to buy and MBox to be able to open PT files, and money is WAY too tight right now. I can get Logic for just $500 with my student discount, so it seems like a good deal.

Will l encounter any limitations with the Digi002R? Problems?
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

works fine.
just make sure you have the latest update of the dig core audio driver for the version of osx you are using. which may mean you have to have a current version of protools as well. but i use a 002R on my laptop with logic and protools. sometimes i sync it up to my HD rig and just run logic on it while running protools on the bigger system. works a treat.
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
I currently have a Digi002R and Protools. I find it to be unuablely unstable. I'm CONSTANTLY losing connection with the Digi002R according to Protools, and IMHO Digidesign has added 2x as many bugs as features with each patch/revision. I constantly crash, etc....
You might have the dreaded power harness issue, which leads to lost connections. That would make PT and any other app like logic and DP (what I use) crash. Better check with tech support.

I wish I had that student discount. Get stuff with that while you can.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Dreaded is a harsh word. Inconvenient maybe.

Hey, if you're losing the connex with the 002, it's definitely the power harness issue. Digi overnighted me a new one, but by the time they described the fix, I didn't need it.

You gotta call Digi and go through the agreement on the phone. They'll record it so you'll still have your warranty even though you've taken the lid off. Turns out that the contacts are prone to oxidation. Has nothing to do with software, firmware or Digi being the next great Satan. They say there's been more incidents in humid climates too. Makes sense to me.

Get some needlenose pliers and pull the harness off (it's that thing with the rainbow of wires that go to three plastic connectors. So, pull that thing off and use some isopropyl alchohol and Q-Tips and clean the metal contacts. Then put it back on and get back to work.

I guess you could use some of that contact cleaner for electronic stuff. I treated it with Stabilant 22 after cleaning it, which helps. One of the places you can buy Stabilant is at VW dealers. Seems some VW models have shoddy electrical systems and the Stabilant helps.

Anyway, you don't even have to wait for the new harness to arrive since it's not gonna be any better than the old one once you clean it.

Oh, another way you can tell it's the power harness is that the red "Mute" LED between the volume knobs won't go out even if you press it multiple times.

Hey, by the way, I use PTLE 6.9 with a G5. Hours and hours and hours and hours of use with no crashes; same software you're using. Sure, it's no SSL/MCI rig, but I get my stuff recorded with very few problems. I'm having a lower plugin count with Tiger, but I can usually run as many plugs as I need, so I dont' really care. Just mentioning this because it's most likely that some system maintenance could help things.

1) Repair permissions frequently.

2) Separate hard drives; the drive that your recorded data is going to should never be over 10% or 15% capacity. God made storage cheap for a reason.

3) Get that machine off the internet!

4) All that other good stuff, and wear clean underpants!

Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

tutt tutt

Quote:
folks over at the DUC had start a few "Power Harness" topics, and they got delete. I guess Digi will never answer the issues about the power harness problems? the Digi-002 and 002r have been out a while. I friend of mine has replaced his 3 times and said if it breaks again he is going to ask for a new one or a refund or file a law suit.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

Did this fix and it totally worked! Just deoxit them rainbow molex connectors and now relays are switching on properly! Thanks Max!

Get some needlenose pliers and pull the harness off (it's that thing with the rainbow of wires that go to three plastic connectors. So, pull that thing off and use some isopropyl alchohol and Q-Tips and clean the metal contacts. Then put it back on and get back to work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search