The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Digi 001 monitoring question
Old 24th July 2005
Here for the gear

Digi 001 monitoring question

I've been considering getting an apogee rosetta 200 for my Digi 001. I don't have a console, so I haven't used anything besides the 001 for monitoring up to this point. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a small mixer or something like the presonus central station if I want to use the apogee for D/A cuz I wouldn't be able to control my monitor volume if I just hooked up the apogee analog outs to the monitors directly. But I'd really like to avoid having to shell out another couple hundred just to control my monitor volume.

So, I thought maybe by using the 001's monitor mode I could save myself some $$, but I don't know if will work - here's the idea:

Digi 001 S/PDIF out ==> apogee S/PDIF in, apogee analog out ==> inputs 3+4 on the Digi (the monitor mode inputs) making sure the 001 is in monitor mode, and now I should be able to control the volume of my monitors with the 001 volume knob. Theoretically.

The only thing I don't know is: When the 001 is in monitor mode, is the S/PDIF output disabled? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Nut

I'm pretty sure using monitor mode like you said won't work. AFAIK its just to listen to whatever is plugged into 3-4 when PT is not running.
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have not tried it, but it seems like it will work. I have an Apogee 200 connected to my digi001 via S/PDIF. At issue is whether the S/PDIF are disabled while the digi is in monitor mode. I don't see why they would be, but I have not tried it.

My opinion without experience. I am monitoring to a preamp then to a power amp.

Santo
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Should work, although you're adding another stage to your monitoring chain. I use a DAC-1 with my 001 heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search