The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Windows media player sucks but what else is there?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Windows media player sucks but what else is there?

What's a good pc audio player for cd and mp3 files. Something that doesn't suck tone or take over my computer. Does it exist?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

iTunes

www.apple.com/iTunes
Old 23rd July 2005
There is only one

what are you talking about dude? get some better DAC's on your PC... it isnt the player thats sucking the tone unless you are running all those EQ's and FX things they put on it.

btw, they ALL try to take over your machine.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

http://www.quinnware.com/ free

thumbsup
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

my skin....
Attached Thumbnails
Windows media player sucks but what else is there?-screenhunter_001.jpg  
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbluefield
Thanks, I already found that on download.com and there's a huge improvement over media player.
Old 23rd July 2005
Of major players, Winamp Lite is the smallest. Winamp has some decided interface quirks -- but unlike WMP and MusicMatch, among others, it doesn't have a built-in, un publicized bass boost (presumably added for 'competitive' reasons).

A more troubling problem for me has been playing proprietary formats like Real media and Quicktime.

Although I FINALLY got a Quicktime installation that worked and hasn't cause me problems (after trying to use it on 6 different computers under 4 different Windows versions, this is the first time I've had a functioning trouble-free QT install).

The RealPlayer hasn't produced the stability issues that QT did (no other software has -- and stayed on my machine) -- but it's notorious spyware, trying to send lists of your hard drive based media files back to Real HQ, etc, etc.

ANYWAY, there are free alternatives to the QT player and Realplayer called "Quicktime Alternative" and "Real Alternative."

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

I haven't used the QT alternative (although I will on other machines) but the Real Alternative is FAR superior to the RP in terms of getting up onto your machine quickly with a small load and then removing itself completely when it goes.

I wish they made a "MusicMatch Alternative" that I could use with MusicMatch's On Demand subscription service. The MusicMatch "jukebox" is one incredibly bloated, buggy piece of software at this point. It's got great features, to be sure. But when I start my machine, the RAM use footprint is less than 120 MB (I run a lean machine)... after running and 'shutting down' MMJB, there are at least two extra processes running and the RAM footprint is up to 160-190 MB!!! Even if you stop those processes, the RAM cannot be 'collected' again without logging off or better rebooting.

Coffee, I need cofee...
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Head

I was on a quest like yours a while back, foobar2000 is the best player I've ever used. It's extremely light on resources, loads huge playlists fast, does not alter audio in any way, and there's a plugin (the main ones are here, but there are plenty more) for just about anything you need to do.

It's pretty fugly straight out of the box, but I found this installer that sets up the graphical aspects really nice, I think it looks better than iTunes. Here's a screenshot.

Oh, best part is it absolutely does not take over your computer.

And I also recommend the Real Alternative & QT Alternative.
Old 24th July 2005

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search