The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Intel Pentium "Dual Core" Chip Compatibility ???
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Nut

Intel Pentium "Dual Core" Chip Compatibility ???

Has anyone had experience with the new Intel Pentium chipset that uses their "Dual Core" technology? It sounds perfect for DAW applications based on all I've read about it, but I'm concerned about compatibility with software and other hardware at this early stage in it's release. (It's the next generation beyond Pentium 4 HT by the way...)

I'm concerned about compatibility with:

1) Cubase SX3 and

2) UAD-1 hardware and plug-ins

I talked to UA today and they were a little unsure as to how their UAD might perform because they haven't tested it yet...

I didn't talk with Steinberg yet...

Have you guys got any experience with the new Dual Core stuff???
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

check out nuendo.com phorums i think some ppl there talked about it .I'm looking for that one too
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

bjm...
i got my hands on a dual core the other day and was very impressed. it takes a lot to impress me as i'm a computer engr. but i dont use what you do.
WHAT EVER ANYONE TELLS YOU ON A FORUM doesnt replce doing your own testing with your own audio software and ada and in your case the uad1.
Someone could tell you with the same set up as you that all is fine..but you might experience a problem.
If were me ....i would wait a little time....and most importantly try and do a thorough test with YOUR set up before buying the dual.
Also - as more dual systems appear ..this will mean probably prices will drop a bit. And the other point i wish to make is probably the dual core motherboards
for both intel and amd will gradually get refined further at the architecture level
over the next two years. In summary...i'm in no rush.
hope this helps.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1
bjm...
i got my hands on a dual core the other day and was very impressed. it takes a lot to impress me as i'm a computer engr. but i dont use what you do.
WHAT EVER ANYONE TELLS YOU ON A FORUM doesnt replce doing your own testing with your own audio software and ada and in your case the uad1.
Someone could tell you with the same set up as you that all is fine..but you might experience a problem.
If were me ....i would wait a little time....and most importantly try and do a thorough test with YOUR set up before buying the dual.
Also - as more dual systems appear ..this will mean probably prices will drop a bit. And the other point i wish to make is probably the dual core motherboards
for both intel and amd will gradually get refined further at the architecture level
over the next two years. In summary...i'm in no rush.
hope this helps.
I appreciate your point... Nice to hear that someone has at least tried it. I need a new computer in the next few weeks, so I may give it a go just for grins. Try something new for a change. It will be fun to be a guinnea pig heh
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

bjm....
i admire your attitude. the only reason i'm waiting is i'm hoping prices will drop
for the dual/motherboards/etc etc .
when you get set up...be curious how long a 24 track 3 minute song takes to mixdown. this is a very important test ....because it really shows how powerfull a system is in my experience. remember its not just the powerfull processors/busses that are needed for fluid multitracking, but also hard drives. look into nice big caches on the hard drives. lots of memory etc. i wish you every success. you might want to consider benchmarking amd duals against the intel ones using the 24 track test....and see which is fastest. i havent had the opportunity.peace.
Old 23rd July 2005
As somone who spent over 4000 bucks (and them was them big fat 80's bucks not these paltry, shriveled greenbacks we have now) on an early '386 system -- I have to re-emphasize what Manning said.

Unless you're a rich hobbyist, it's probably best to wait til the mobo and peripheral hardware manufacturers have implemented and tested new chip platforms thoroughly, moving into second generation accomodations -- and then wait some more til other early adopters have gotten sliced and diced by the cutting edge... and then wait until the prices have fallen to something approaching normal system prices.

Since my early 'indiscretion,' I've been far more cautious and I haven't regretted it.

That said, I'm anxious to see what the Yonah-class chips will do. I have a PM in my laptop that I'm in love with (for a good combo of processing power and efficiency) and I can't see moving 'backwards' to build around a fat, hot-running 'old-fashioned' CISC-style chip. My goal is no fans...
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Nut

Well I bought it...

Intel Pentium D 830 Dual Core 3GHz w/2GB Ram... Loaded... Couple of 19" flat panels... I'll let you know how it goes... Wish me luck
Old 29th August 2005
Here for the gear

^^How does it work for you?

I'm debating whether to build a new Dual Core PC or buy the UAD studio pack. Right now I'm running a P4 1.5 ghz with 512mb of SD-Ram. If I made the leap to a 3ghz Dual core with a gig of ram do you think I'd see a bigger increase than what the UAD would provide? Mind you, all I want to know is processing power; I understand UAD provides you with unique plugins unavailable elseware....

Thanks!
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

we have yet to see anything that didnt work with the new dual Core Intels
and the 955 chipset!

and yes they rock.

Scott
ADK
Old 29th August 2005
Gear Addict

I don't see any compatablity issues.

My only issue with the recent intel processors is HEAT. They are just RIDICULOUSLY hot! I built myself a system just before dual core (on 925XE which was SUPPOSED to be the "Dual core" platform until they changed their mind last minute ) I thought THAT system ran hot averaging up to 77C under extreme loads. I have a rant on this whole situation elsewhere here. Now finally that the thermal paste has "Broken-in" it seems to max out around 72C.

I just built my father a dual core 830. It's nice, but it runs EVEN HOTTER! It runs up to about 83C under extreme load, to the point that it rebooted when testing a high octane game on there.

I have used arctic silver 5 thermal paste (correctly) which is considered the best. I've gone on many of the computer performance forums and it appears my temps are normal.

Also, be prepared to replace the fan/heatsink. It is UNBEARABLY loud! I replaced mine with the thermalright XP-120 and a quiet 120mm fan. It made the system WAY quieter. It didn't do much to reduce the temperature though.

My father's system still has the stock heatsink/fan. I told him if the fan noise starts to bother him, to let me know and I'll upgrade him to a quieter solution.

With the whole heat/noise issue, I almost wonder if I should have went AMD64 (NOT AMD X2! I've heard there are issues with that processor and DAWs)....

The saving grace is I AM getting quite excellent performance from my machine. I just hope it doesn't burn up prematurely......

Best of luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search