The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Giga Midi i/o setups
Old 21st July 2005
Giga Midi i/o setups

I am running lowly Giga 2.54 stuido 96 on it's own computer using only 1 Midi I/O (Audiophile 2496 card, using SPDIF out to my audio recording DAW). Looking back, I should have gone with the Frontier Designs PCI card that has 2x MIDI I/O.

The Studio 96 version only permits 32 total simultanious MIDI channels. The studio 160 version of Giga 2.54 has slots for 4x MIDI I/O (64 total channels). The Giga 3 Orchestra version lets you do unlimited.

I own a Midisport 8x8, but Giga recommends against using USB Midi I/O due to 5+ms latency issues.

What else are people doing to increase MIDI I/O for larger Giga rigs? Is anyone using USB MIDI Interfaces like Midisport and reporting favourable results?

Thanks

KT
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

First question would be: Do you need more than 64 Midi Ins ? I have 2 Giga PC running with Midisport 4x4 and I never ran out of Miditracks but very often I ran out of RAM !
I never use GS for "exact timing stuff" mostly Orchestra and waaaaber sounds, so, USB Midi is okay for me.

hope, that helps
Old 21st July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi
First question would be: Do you need more than 64 Midi Ins ? I have 2 Giga PC running with Midisport 4x4 and I never ran out of Miditracks but very often I ran out of RAM !
I never use GS for "exact timing stuff" mostly Orchestra and waaaaber sounds, so, USB Midi is okay for me.

hope, that helps
Not IN's as much as total track count. And, you need the I/O to get the track count. I do not want to layer doubled instruments on a single MIDI track. I am aiming to do single instrument passes for as many of the orchestra players as I can, for more realism. I know, I know, I need to upgrade to 3.0 Orch. I will as soon as I can. I am more concerned about the I/O needed.

I don't need real time response, so if the Midisport does the job, and I only have to deal with 5 more ms delay, I can handle that, and just nudge it all back later. Wish I had Nuendo, and I would not need to fret so much over hardware delay. Oh well, lets hope Sonar adds it soon (and without some big expansion fee)!!!!

thanks for responding...this may not be the best forum or boards for the questions....I will also try the Giga and Sonar forums.

cheers,

KT
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

no probs with midisport and giga.If you want lower latency try MusicLab MIDIoverLAN software .You can have unlimited midi ports via usual pc network and i think latency is lower then with usb stuff .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search