The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Computer problem
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Computer problem

Ok. To make a long story short, I bought a new computer and raid 0 (in windows, not hardware) two 250 gig drives. Before putting anything on the drives, I decided that I didn't need to raid because these are SATAs. Trying to unraid, my friend and I managed to seperate the drives, but they only show as 128 gig drives now (originally after raiding, it showed as one 500 gig drive).

Anyone know what we're doing wrong or what can be done to fix this problem?
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk
Ok. To make a long story short, I bought a new computer and raid 0 (in windows, not hardware) two 250 gig drives. Before putting anything on the drives, I decided that I didn't need to raid because these are SATAs. Trying to unraid, my friend and I managed to seperate the drives, but they only show as 128 gig drives now (originally after raiding, it showed as one 500 gig drive).

Anyone know what we're doing wrong or what can be done to fix this problem?
You may have to repartition the drives. I don't know how Windows sets up raid in software, but it looks like it partitioned each drive into 2 for a 4-disk logical raid (4x125 = 500). And then it probably put a flag in the mbrs that indicates that the disks are raid disks.

The major problem is that you have the windows system disk formatted as a logical raid drive, and I doubt you could change that and maintain your current installation. Maybe the easiest way to go would be to start a linux install just to get at its parition manager (disk druid or the like). That way, you won't have to go through Window's view of the world.

Did you try a complete fresh reinstall?
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi. Thanks for the reply. We haven't tried a fresh install yet but we'll try it. I'll show my friend your email and hope for the best.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search