The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to put under the G5?
Old 20th July 2005
Here for the gear

What to put under the G5?

Yes, I know I should get the G5 out of my room, but that's not an option at the moment. I've seen anti-static mats made to go under CPU's, but that doesn't help the noise issue. I considered the Auralex Gramma, but there's not enough height under my Omnirax desk. Does anyone make a thin pad (one inch or less) that reduces noise and vibration to be placed under a G5?

danlogic
Old 20th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlogic
Yes, I know I should get the G5 out of my room, but that's not an option at the moment. I've seen anti-static mats made to go under CPU's, but that doesn't help the noise issue. I considered the Auralex Gramma, but there's not enough height under my Omnirax desk. Does anyone make a thin pad (one inch or less) that reduces noise and vibration to be placed under a G5?

danlogic
What kind of vibrations is your G5 making? My *fan* noise is a problem but putting a mat under the case would do very little to improve that situation. If your machine is actually vibrating I think there's something not right going on inside; if on the other hand you've just got fan noise I think you ought to be looking into some kind of case to put it in (and that can be quite expensive, I know, as I've been researching it a bit).
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I´m using the rubber of a thick, soft mouse pad. Works great and the G5 still stands on solid ground. Helps a lot to isolate the vibration from the fans and DVD-drive from the floor of my room.

Toby
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Try closed cell foam. I use that to isolated my speakers in the soffits. So I am sure it would work for a computer.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

My G4 is laying on it's side on top of some 1" closed cell foam and it fits nicely into the bottom of my Omnirax desk. It runs quietly and seems to work ok.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search