The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Silly And Halarious Mac Question
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

A Silly And Halarious Mac Question

Does anybody remember the name of the program/application that was on older OS9 macs, where you could spell out sentences or words and make the computer say them in different voices?

I've been dying to see if someone (or apple for that matter) has made an OSX version or not.

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

SImpletext did it but you had to have the speech extensions turned on.
Textedit in OS X Speech under the edit menu
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

AWESOME!!!

Thank you. Any way to change the voice?
Old 20th July 2005
js1
Lives for gear

There's a bunch of different voices included with the OS. Switch is somewhere in the control panel (I think it's even labelled Speech...)

js
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

you guys rock!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

BIGHINT .. I Tiger if you need to know how to do something Spotlight will help.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I had hours of fun making that thing read stuff for me. Answering machine messages, etc.

Ya gotta feed it some Snoop Dogg lyrics!!!
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

By the way, you might also want to check out a program called VocalWriter which just got released on OSX. It's an old shareware program ($39) that 'sings' the lyrics you type into it, along with a MIDI melody... The results are pleasantly bizarre and not at all life-like, thank the good silicon gods.

I used to love a program on the Amiga (!) that not only let you type in stuff to say, but you could put numbers and other codes after each syllable to change emphasis and tone of voice. I even used it as the voice of the announcer on an old MTV show. I wish there was a mac equivalent, but I haven't seen it...

It'll be a sad day when they finally perfect the technology so that it sounds just like a plain old boring human. I love the demented drunk swedish robot voice that only computers can make. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search