The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best software sample rate convertor?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Best software sample rate convertor?

I had used BarbaBatch for years and always liked it. Lately, I've been using Cleaner. These are the only two that I've used in recent memory, but there must be other high-end options.

What's the best?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

try the two you mentioned and then compare them to the one at www.voxengo.com

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Voxengo's R8brain Pro.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have a feeling that elambo is looking for Mac software, as Barbabatch and Cleaner are both Mac applications.

elambo, is there a particular reason you want to switch from Barbabatch and cleaner?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Doesn't DSP Quattro have the Spark SRC implemented?

ruudman
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
I have a feeling that elambo is looking for Mac software, as Barbabatch and Cleaner are both Mac applications.

elambo, is there a particular reason you want to switch from Barbabatch and cleaner?
You are correct - I need it for a Mac.

I use Cleaner, but for some reason, I get an error when trying to use MP3 codecs. I have a friend who has had the same problem on his machine and we've both tried everything we can think of to fix it. Nothing works.

Plus Cleaner is kind of slow. BarbaBatch was very speedy, but I no longer use it because it was owned by a studio that I no longer work at. I could buy it again, and will if the concensus is that it's the best, but THAT'S what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

A vote for Spark

I know it is no longer available and only runs on OS 10.3.9 or less, but I found the SRC in Spark to be the best I could find. I did not compare to Cleaner, however. It was definitely better to me than Barbabatch.

I still use Spark XL on 9.2.2. I'm sorry it was discontinued. I still haven't found a similar app to replace it for the price and quality on the Mac for mastering stuff.

Any suggestions?

Ben
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF
I know it is no longer available and only runs on OS 10.3.9 or less, but I found the SRC in Spark to be the best I could find. I did not compare to Cleaner, however. It was definitely better to me than Barbabatch.

I still use Spark XL on 9.2.2. I'm sorry it was discontinued. I still haven't found a similar app to replace it for the price and quality on the Mac for mastering stuff.

Any suggestions?

Ben
Check out DSP Quattro, at least they plovide some good algo's

ruudman
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

Here's a patch from TC to let Spark live in Tiger OSX.4:

[http://tcsupport.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...3JpZHNvcnQ9JnB[/HTML]
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Head

Thanks, wynsmth and Ruudman!

I'm surprised they issued the patch, seeing as they announced no support for Spark XL awhile back.

It looks like the DSP Quattro team has used ideas and help from the TC team that worked on Spark.

Ben
Old 24th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
Check out DSP Quattro, at least they plovide some good algo's

ruudman
I just bought DSP Quattro a couple of weeks ago and the SRC is extremely good. I have heard that the demo is buggy but the full version that I bought has been rock solid.
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

In comparison to hardware SRCs like Z-Sys or Lake People - both in the 1000,- € range - Barbabatch is at least as good.

Don´t know other software SRCs but what I heared from different studios Barbabatch is probably the best for 500,- €.

From a mastering studio using Sonic Studio I only know the SRC from Sonic beats Barbabatch but is really more expensive.
Old 30th September 2005
Gear Maniac

I have'nt tried R8 brain yet but heard it's a really great convertor
Old 1st October 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
Doesn't DSP Quattro have the Spark SRC implemented?

ruudman
Nope. He wrote his own.

Orren
Old 1st October 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF
I know it is no longer available and only runs on OS 10.3.9 or less, but I found the SRC in Spark to be the best I could find.
I would agree, the SRC in Spark was amazing, as good or better than any hardware box (actually, it was from TCE's high end hardware boxes, I believe).

The truth is, the SRC in QuickTime 6.5+ is actually absolutely top notch. That is the SRC in Logic Pro 7.x + and any application (such as Peak, I believe) that uses QuickTime for SRC also uses it. You can give it a try for free, if you want, with a 16-bit file. Seriously--you'll be amazed. QuickTime's improved SRC is really top flight.

Orren

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search