The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD 2 Does This Make Sense
Old 24th March 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

UAD 2 Does This Make Sense

I'm testing out the UAD2 card in PT. The point of the card is to relieve your processor, correct? So I opened up 20 or so 88RS plugins and my processor is jumping up. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having DSP cards. I mean, do PTHD cards do this?
Attached Thumbnails
UAD 2 Does This Make Sense-image003.jpg  
Old 24th March 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

Is there something that I can configure to keep the CPU usage down?
Old 24th March 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jeremy.c.'s Avatar
Your processor does have to do some work in coordinating with the UAD card and PT, it's just not the same load as you would get from 20 of the same plugin running native. Since the UAD card isn't running in a vacuum it still requires your computer to do something to have it run within the system.
It's been like that ever since I got my first UAD-1 card 6 years ago.
Old 24th March 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
jeremy.c.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
Is there something that I can configure to keep the CPU usage down?
What are your system specs? My quad core doesn't show much of anything when I am running a high instance count on the UAD2, but my older P4 did seem to notice it quite a bit more. Not aware of anything you can do to get around it either, I think that's just the nature of this beast.
Old 24th March 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I'm testing out the UAD2 card in PT. The point of the card is to relieve your processor, correct? So I opened up 20 or so 88RS plugins and my processor is jumping up. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having DSP cards. I mean, do PTHD cards do this?
probably the use of the vst to rtas wrapper for each instance of a uad-2 plug-in on LE system.
Old 24th March 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
probably the use of the vst to rtas wrapper for each instance of a uad-2 plug-in on LE system.
UAD in PT can only be wrapped right? Is there no "true" RTAS version?
Old 24th March 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
UAD in PT can only be wrapped right? Is there no "true" RTAS version?
I'm pretty sure the latest 5.20 drivers have RTAS installers. Universal Audio | UAD RTAS Adapter
Old 24th March 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I'm pretty sure the latest 5.20 drivers have RTAS installers. Universal Audio | UAD RTAS Adapter
It is still a wrapper. You didnt notice the FX expansion screen?
Old 24th March 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
It is still a wrapper. You didnt notice the FX expansion screen?
I'm using older drivers and mainly use Sonar. I thought by the wording on that page I linked that they were finally RTAS as well. My mistake.
Old 24th March 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
probably the use of the vst to rtas wrapper for each instance of a uad-2 plug-in on LE system.
Or the delay compensation thingie (mellowmuse or something?)
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
spektor / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
34
networkresearch / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1
moderngroove / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
14
Alécio Costa / Mastering Forum
4
genericperson / So Much Gear, So Little Time
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump