The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are your opinions of the UAD-1 Ultra PAK?
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

What are your opinions of the UAD-1 Ultra PAK?

What are your opinions of the UAD-1 Ultra PAK? I have used the Waves bundle and I am about to change to the Universal Audio products. Any suggestions or comments?
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Just buy it, it's a no brainer. I've had the UAD-1 for a long time now and they are probably my most used plug-ins as well as the URS Everything bundle. Hydratone is a great EQ as well. Get the Ultra Pak, you'll use it everyday if you can't afford the hardware counterparts.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Guru

yeah, if you're going to use plugs, get the uad. the cambridge eq is very good as far as plugs go. the only thing the package lacks is nice reverb, which the powercore has in spades.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
yeah, if you're going to use plugs, get the uad. the cambridge eq is very good as far as plugs go. the only thing the package lacks is nice reverb, which the powercore has in spades.

gregoire
del ubik
ubik do u not like the emt 140 plate from uad?
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Pultec Pro + Fairchild =
Old 19th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Hell I like Dreamverb too, I think it's real easy to find a room with.

War
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

It's a mixed bag.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane
ubik do u not like the emt 140 plate from uad?

i haven't actually demo'd it yet, and i keep forgetting it exists. something tells me that my next verb purchase will be the tc 6000 for powercore, but i will be checking the uad plate out as well.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i haven't actually demo'd it yet, and i keep forgetting it exists. something tells me that my next verb purchase will be the tc 6000 for powercore, but i will be checking the uad plate out as well.

gregoire
del ubik

AFAIK, the only verb available for the Powercore is the one based on the VSS3 algorythm. Not exactly the algorythm that is the best soundign in the TC6000.

Update. I was wrong. I see they've added the DVR and Non-lin program as well.
But holy cow, how expensive.
$375,- for the Non-lin and $495,- for the DVR.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Does Dreamverb have dense thick verbs? Or is they short of subtle like MegaReveb?
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

TRy out this verb for dense and thick!
http://www.inuamusic.com/sonicflavou...ang=en&p_id=20

For $150 you can't beat it.

Aaron
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I got the project pak, and then JUST had to have the ultra pak.

Just do it, if for nothing more that the precision EQ and the plate verb.

Juicemaster 1500 - please elaborate. What do you like/dislike? "It's a mixed bag" is not really helpful......
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

it's a great value, great concept.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureofgreed
Does Dreamverb have dense thick verbs? Or is they short of subtle like MegaReveb?
Dreamverb isn't very thick and dense, but it is a lot more dense and smooth than the RealVerb Pro. Dreamverb can make some very realistic sounding rooms and environments but it doesn't do thick/lush/modulated verbs.

The EMT 140 plugin is pretty damn great though, it is very dense, and really sounds like a plate.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

EMT 140 is the one plugin reverb I constantly like!!!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

UAD is amazing . I loved it so much that when I moved to TDM I had to buy the UAD for TDM ....
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz

Juicemaster 1500 - please elaborate. What do you like/dislike? "It's a mixed bag" is not really helpful......
It means there's awfully huge differences in quality between the various plugins.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBrian
Dreamverb isn't very thick and dense, but it is a lot more dense and smooth than the RealVerb Pro. Dreamverb can make some very realistic sounding rooms and environments but it doesn't do thick/lush/modulated verbs.

The EMT 140 plugin is pretty damn great though, it is very dense, and really sounds like a plate.

Thanks Brian!
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74thstreet
What are your opinions of the UAD-1 Ultra PAK? I have used the Waves bundle and I am about to change to the Universal Audio products. Any suggestions or comments?

I just installed the ultra pak with two cards tonight. My first impression is that the pack is an insanely good value. They never sound exactly like the hardware units, but they don't have to to sound great. Thanks
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus
I just installed the ultra pak with two cards tonight. My first impression is that the pack is an insanely good value. They never sound exactly like the hardware units, but they don't have to to sound great. Thanks
Agreed.

Pultec = my new best friend.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicemaster1500
It means there's awfully huge differences in quality between the various plugins.

Well, I sorta got that, would you care to elaborate as to which you like and which you like less so? It's interesting hearing what people like and don't like about the plugins....
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

ok sorry dude,

the LA2A is the BEST, this emu is great, truly great.

I don't dig the pultec, and I bet it's because of some upsampling downsampling issue.

The 1176LN is ok, but not fantastic, in my opinion.

The plate reverb is kinda cool, sort of sounds like a big old ELEPHANT, which is cool.

The Fairchild is pretty cool, have no idea whether it's accurate or not as an emulation.

I HATE the Cambridge, and that channel strip.

The dreamverb reverb might sound ok enough, but the look of it.. it's like a MONKEY designed the gui.

The realverb sounds like a MONKEY programmed the algo.

Mm, now I don't remember the rest of the plugins..
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Head

The rest of the plugs are a small, mixed bag... You've got the Nigel guitar processor, absolutely useless, a gate, that's faster and smoother than the digirack, but can't be sidechained (which makes it useless for me), a decent res filter w/ envelope generator (prefer the Korg MS-20 plugin, until I buy me a moogerfooger).

I second the dislike of the reverb: completely unmusical (is that a word?). I'm quite hesitant to use the Cambridge eq for anything other than low roll off (it has a gazzillion different slopes). The pultec rocks, but of course i've never used a hardware unit (orig. or clone). The fairchild is my standard buss comp now, but all the presets are way to squashed (or maybe all my tracks are too hot... Damn you Lavre Blue ). Some nice mono-stereo stuff there, though.

The latency is a drag, but it all works out with a little patience. Another thing is more worrying: on one perticularly hot summer day, the card went awol and stopped working. Shutting down and letting the g5 cool down solved it temporarily, but the session ended up a late nighter, and i HATE it when that happens for technical reasons...

Anyway... a few thoughts... Hope it helps
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorQ
The rest of the plugs are a small, mixed bag... You've got the Nigel guitar processor, absolutely useless,
You ever try Nigel on vocals? It is great there, but I definately never use it on guitars. The TremModEcho module is actually really good too for complex echo effects. The GateComp is extremely aggressive and is excellent on drum loops. The trick to Nigel is just not to ever use it on guitars, but try it anywhere else (vocals, synths, rhodes, etc.) for the effects and cabinet sims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorQ
The fairchild is my standard buss comp now, but all the presets are way to squashed
You use compressor presets?
Old 6th September 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Sometimes when i'm mixing with the band, and not being paid by the hour (if at all), I like to give the band the impression of sudden change. To this end i'd flick through some presets, pick the best one, maybe tweak it. I'll be doing most real tweaking later, when i get the songs out my system and realise what a horrible job, i've done. I'll then spend hours running it through outboard (only got a mono comp that beats the fairchild plug: CL-1B) and tweaking the daw... But the band want's in on the mixing, cus the drummers co-producing, they don't want in on hours of tweaking and a/b'ing.
Old 6th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
what's a preset?
Old 6th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicemaster1500
ok sorry dude,
Kewl, thanks for the opinions......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search