The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
G5 fan noise
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

G5 fan noise

How do you guys record a mic with a computer in the room. The G5 is supposed to be relatively quiet, but when recording gentle sources the noise it makes is very audible.
Placing the G5 in another room is no option for me at he moments. What should I do?
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Some people buy an enclosed rack, but I've heard that some of the racks aren't that great of a solution. They too use fans, which are sometimes active. Also, it gets really hot in an enclosed case.

I have converted a closet to a machine closet. Heavy wooden doors, ventilation, etc... Works pretty well. You might try to isolate the tracking area acousticaly somehow for added noise reduction.

Speaking of music computers, my Apple laptop drive just went bad, so I'm totally disgusted with computers at the moment. I've got mixes to do, and it's looking like computers may play a lesser role in my work than I had thought.

Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

move the computers out of the room.
Old 19th July 2005
Some of the most problematic elements of fan and bearing noise are in the higher ranges -- which tend to be somewhat more directional. Therefore, you may get some relief if you can trap as much direct sound as possible with absorptive materials -- perhaps draping blankets, etc, between the computer and the mic and perhaps draping/crumpling them where sound from a fan might bounce against a wall and then to the mic. (For that purpose, you don't want a flat surface, since it will tend to keep reflected sound more coherent, whereas you're likely to get signficant phase cancellation with something like a crumpled blanket (even the little cilia-like 'hairs' help refract and 'absorb' through cancellation.) It's won't make it go away, but it may absorb a significant part of the most problematic fan noise.

Good luck.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks guys. Since getting the computer out of the room is no option, and getting a cupboard means another fan in the scheme - I guess I'll go for some sort of absorbing solution. The problem is that I still need to get to that DVD drive sometimes, or to the power button. A blanket can make it a bit difficult
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by papiel
Thanks guys. Since getting the computer out of the room is no option, and getting a cupboard means another fan in the scheme - I guess I'll go for some sort of absorbing solution. The problem is that I still need to get to that DVD drive sometimes, or to the power button. A blanket can make it a bit difficult
the above ideas cover it but, with the G5 can't you control the fans by getting into the energy saver control panel and crank down the cpu which would use less fans?
I've been thinking about the same problem for my G5 which hasn't arrived yet!
You could crank the processing down for the vocal or acoustic and then crank it back up for mixing right? Peace
daniel
Old 20th July 2005
Quote:
I was thinking putting up the absorbers just when you're recording, kind of like big, floppy gobos... Before I replaced the power supply and fan in my old desktop with a thermo-controlled one, I used some blankets and other absorbers to record very quiet parts. (I now have a laptop which has totally spoiled me -- even to itself, since, when its fan kicks into high, it seems like a total invasion... (it's not bad, really, not as loud as my desktop... but I'm spoiled for sure.)
Old 20th July 2005
smk
Gear Maniac

Doesn't apple make keyboard and mouse cable extenders? You could surely move your cpu outside if these are available.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

You don't. What you do is buy a Tranzport and go wireless and record in another room. The Tranzport works with a lot of the recording software (Protools, Cubase, etc). Well worth the $200

-Gary
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Head

Cool CPU Fan Noises

The way I handled it was to convert my walkin closet to a soundbooth. Not pretty, mind you. But efficient. Another alternative would be to simply get a large cardboard box and cover the computer with it. You could use carpet pad to muffle the noise inside the box.

My 2.54¢ worth.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Nut

Hey The Bull,
Can you post some pic's?

Thanks
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you guys record a mic with a computer in the room. The G5 is supposed to be relatively quiet, but when recording gentle sources the noise it makes is very audible.
Placing the G5 in another room is no option for me at he moments. What should I do?
I converted my master bedroom into my home studio.

The G5 Dual 2G is pretty quiet, but not quiet enough to do recording in the same room.Bought cables, ran them across the room and put the G5 in my closet. Been great!

TH

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search