The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about Mbox and G4
Old 18th July 2005
Here for the gear

Question about Mbox and G4

Is a G4 400mhz processor going to be fast enough to run an mbox, provided I have at 512mb of ram. Please help I have to make a decision soon, Thanks.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Nope, you're SOL with that slow a CPU. Digi's compatibility page says you need at least an 800mHz G4 processor to run the current version of Pro Tools LE and that you will see limited track counts (and obviously the capability to use plug-ins) with a single processor G4.
Old 19th July 2005
I was just trying to get some of that info at the Digidesign site... wotta mess!

Apparently, Digi can't be bothered to remove outdated info on their site, so I found pages saying things like this:
Quote:
Pro Tools (any version) will not work with OS X or in Classic mode. It is necessary that you boot the computer in OS 9 when installing or using Pro Tools.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/os9/mbox/g4.html

No sign that the page is deprecated or archived in any way or that the information might not be timely. Not even a date...

Sad.

[That's not to be construed as a slag against PT. It's just that bad website design/maintenance is one of bêtes noires.]
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

I'm not sure but you might be able to upgrade the processor to something faster in a G4 and can definitely upgrade the RAM. Getting a firewire hard drive is also an absolute must for getting maximum track count. You're gonna be able to record but with very few tracks and little or no plug ins with what you have.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you're lopw on cash, and want to run PT's, you'd be better off at this point getting a cheap, fast PC. And siave your money to get a faster Mac later on.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus
Getting a firewire hard drive is also an absolute must for getting maximum track count.

What does this have to do with track count? He's gonna get the same track count with an internal or FW drive if both drives are the same size. If the FW drive has a faster bus speed that would help a little, but mostly it's his processor speed/RAM that will keep his track counts low.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Yes, you will be able to "run" protools v6.1-v6.4 (tested) with 24-32 tracks of audio running off an audio drive(not system) and very very very few plugins. don't get me wrong, you are not going to have a very useable system with that track count but it will load up and play.

as mentioned your best be is going to be with a processor upgrade in the mac(150-250us) sonnet makes several with different speeds.

mac's are more fun with protools imo.

good luck!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouse4aname
Is a G4 400mhz processor going to be fast enough to run an mbox, provided I have at 512mb of ram. Please help I have to make a decision soon, Thanks.
A mac mini is 200 bucks more than an Mbox. Give up the old 400!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search