The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slammed by RAM
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

Slammed by RAM

Well now I know not to put new RAM in without my contact lenses in!

Put new RAM into my Apple G4 but didn't realize it was backwards. Fired the computer up and the power light went on for a second then it just went out.

Realized the RAM was backwards when I checked to see whether the chips were seated properly, so I reinstalled it. Hit the power button, but it just lit for a second, then out.

Put the old RAM back in without the new RAM, same result.

Found a thread on the Apple bulletin board that suggested resetting the PMU button, but that didn't fix anything.

Any suggestions, guys? I'd be extremely grateful.

Peter

Last edited by retropete; 17th July 2005 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I did that 4 years ago when i got my first mac. The board is fried...you have to send it back to them.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I had the same problem with my Dual G4. Although it happened whenever i worked on the machine.

After a while it just started. Totally intermittent. It was almost like there was a time device that felt movement and stopped the machine from being booted until the clock ran its course.

I'm probably talking ****, but i have yet to find out what the **** actually happened.

Sorry, i am no help.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

Argghh...

Tried a few things like taking out the battery overnight then resetting the PMU. No luck so far.

XHipHop, if you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost to replace the board -- or did you just get a new computer?

Have a call in to a local tech support shop -- I'll see what they say on Monday. Will post back when I know what's going on.

For the record, I did have glasses on -- just don't see as well as I do with contacts!
Old 18th July 2005
Just about anyone who'se been messing with technology for a long time has hoist himself on a similar petard at some point. Don't beat yourself up on this too much.

Good luck to you!
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

retro.. i fried 2 logic boards(well i think bad ram ram and an echo mia card did it) while under warrantee and apple replaced free of charge.... but they told me if it ever happened again i would have to pay the price of the board which was 800 bucks!! i hope it works out for you..
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

Well I've spoken to a couple tech guys who have confirmed what you guys have said. And they feel it's not even worth fixing -- just time for a new computer. which is a bitch when you've got everything running right! But ClubMac has a deal where you can get it for a year with no payments, no interest. That takes the sting out of shelliing out 2 grand right off the bat. I'll probably look for a logic board on ebay and see if I can pick one up cheap enough to justify getting the old one running. In which case I'll either keep it as a spare and move it up to the drummer's house to record drums or sell it cheap to defray the cost of the new one.

I really appreciate the support you guys have shown -- gearslutz is a beautiful thing!

P
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987
retro.. i fried 2 logic boards(well i think bad ram ram and an echo mia card did it) while under warrantee and apple replaced free of charge.... but they told me if it ever happened again i would have to pay the price of the board which was 800 bucks!! i hope it works out for you..
$800? US dollars? Jesus Harold Christ! I've always been a PC guy since the 8088's.. never had anything against Mac's, except that they've traditionally been a bit too proprietary for my liking. But $800 for a motherboard?! And the slots/ram aren't keyed to prevent one from accidentally putting in ram backwards? Amazing..
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

Ferrari parts are expensive too ;-)
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
Just about anyone who'se been messing with technology for a long time has hoist himself on a similar petard at some point. Don't beat yourself up on this too much.

Good luck to you!
Believe it or not, I plugged a power cable into a hard drive BACKWARDS! (Don't ask me how...okay, the side of the drive casing was cracked...I was able to insert it upside down!)

Needless to say, the drive was toast...
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete
Ferrari parts are expensive too ;-)
So a Mac's like a Ferrari? Hey, it might be.. it's been years since I've used one. At any rate, sorry to hear about your expensive stroke of bad luck.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Logic boards are like $20 on ebay...

http://search.ebay.com/g4-logic_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Already bought a new G5 -- but I'm going to look into this to see if I can salvage the old one.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

a ferarri will get you laid. pcs get audio work done.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search