The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixdown to a PC from a Mac Pro Tools Hybrid?
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Mixdown to a PC from a Mac Pro Tools Hybrid?

I have a hybrid Mac/PC setup. I run Pro Tools LE on the Mac (digi 001). On the PC I use Gigastudio, Kontakt, etc. for instruments and go to the Mac via light pipe.

I've upgrated recently with an Apogee 200 to get my vocal tracks into pro tools with some clarity and definition. (I have good mics and pres for the vocal chain)

I have three questions hoping for some suggestions.

1) I have been reading that many do not like the bounce to disk in pro tools. So I thought I might try to mix some reference CDs out of the Mac through the Apogee's SRC and dither into the PC. However, I do not have any software to record on in the PC (Just samplers, sounds, etc.).

Is there any simple recording software out there for Windows XP that I should consider for the task?

(I start projects in my digi but I finish them in a commercial facility, so mixes are just for reference-but I want to try the Apogee converters and dither.)

2) Any chance of getting higher sample rate out of the digi 001 using the Apogee 200 through the SPDIF?)

3) This question is going to date me. I use Opcode Vision to sequence in the Mac. I've used Vision for over 15 years so it is hard to give it up. I don't like to sequence using Pro Tools. I have been able to sync Vision with Pro Tools via SMPTE, so its great for the way I work. Unfortunately, Vision does not work with OSX and I plan to move on from OS9 at some point.

My question is, a good sequencer to replace Vision, what would my options be? I haven't found too many sequencer only programs out there. Thought I would save some time by posting for suggestions.

I,m new to the forum. Have been reading for some time without signing up. I have returned to the business after a 15 year break.

Thanks for the help if you can? Thanks for your patience reading the long post.

Santo
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

1) Audacity, Krystal are two off the top of my head.

2) Nope im pretty certian you are stuck at 48khz.

3) sorry, cannot help you.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks

thanks for the reply, I'll check those out
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

santo..
try powertracks that i use on pc. its a full blown midi/audio production studio software (pgmusic.com for the demo). and will let you record at high sample rates if you have the juice in your pc. i havent got time or space here to type all the features as there are thousands. including tc helicon built in that lets you do neat things to vocals for example. audio recording and editing is extensive including a suite of built in fx.
if you are a midi expert i suspect the midi notation and editing features alone will win you over and surprise you. plus - no dongles to worry about, and support is free on line.
if you doubt me - go read the various user reviews and talk to users on the pg forum.pm me if you want to know how to use a specific feature as i'm a long time user. its also used by some ptle users due to its extensive midi features.peace.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks again

I will check it out!
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

unless u stay digital
forget it.
are u talking going out analog and then reconvert going in to the pc, forget it, u are better off in the box unless u drop some $$$$ on good conversion

best software for pc mastering
see if u can find a version of samplitude 6
on ebay

or check magix site for one of the less featured
apps - these are quality applications

unlike the crap from dfegad pg music

sorry manning i know the company and their
products
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

if you really want to avoid btd, you could just route all outputs of the mix to an available stereo bus within pro tools and record it to an open stereo audio track in pro tools assigned to that bus. then highlight the new region, type shift-apple-K, and export the file as summed stereo.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

catfish...
so you really KNOW the product ?
crap ? - in what way ?
when i criticise a product i normally back it up with reasons.
so lets hear specifics, and see if you REALLY KNOW the product.
tell me what it doesnt do and why all us users are wrong.
and what i should replace it with ?
if you REALLY KNOW the product tell me the importance of the bars display
and why its usefull for quick rhythm tracks or how to do ping pongs in it
or chain effects.
i wonder if youve ever tried it. maybe an old version perhaps ?
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Head

Powertracks Crap?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish11
unless u stay digital
forget it.
are u talking going out analog and then reconvert going in to the pc, forget it, u are better off in the box unless u drop some $$$$ on good conversion

best software for pc mastering
see if u can find a version of samplitude 6
on ebay

or check magix site for one of the less featured
apps - these are quality applications

unlike the crap from dfegad pg music

sorry manning i know the company and their
products
Excuse me sir. Just where do you come up with this? I don't think you need to be calling any program crap unless you have something to back it up. I happen to know that Powertracks Pro is a professional tool that will rival anything you've got. It's also very inexpensive. It will record 48 tracks of midi/audio in mono mode or 96 stero tracks of audio. It comes with a host of plugins, has DXi plugin compatibility, ASIO usage, complete piano roll editing, TCHelicon for some of the most awesome harmony you've ever created, has audio/midi track sliding for fine tuning a track, time stretch capabilities ... and the list goes on and on. And it only cost $49 for first time buyers. I'm not sure of the upgrade price but it's not much once you become a registered user.

Like all music software it has its share of bugs, but those people work diligently to iron them out until it's a smooth working product. I'll challenge anybody to create a song that can be done better with another product. The only thing that will make a song sound better in another product is the outboard gear. Not the software. The software is good for manipulation only. So Mr. Crawfish, back up what you just wrote here or consider your words as the words of a competitor ... Worthless.

My 2¢ worth. Others mileage will, most likely, vary.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

If you're still on OS9, you MUST IMMEDIATELY go to http://www.prosoniq.com/index.html and download the free Sonicworx bundle. I'm turning my old G4 w/ OS9 only Korg Oasys card into a mixdown/mastering machine with this. thumbsup
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I am still using OS9 for Pro Tools on the Mac. I need to mix from the Mac to the PC. I will chain out of the digi 001 S/pdif into the Apogee, then out of the Apogee to the PC. I want to use the sample conversion and dither in the Apogee.

I still need to install recording and mastering software on the PC. Since I will be streaming the stereo audio into the PC, I would like to find some mastering software that supports that process.

Also. I am accustomed to using the L1 waves dither in pro tools during the bounce. Since I will not need to bounce by going to the PC to mix, can anyone suggest the types of plugs they use on the mix buss prior to going to the mix down deck.

What type of compressor, or whatever. I new to doing a mix this way so any suggestions will be appreciated. I have been looking around the forums for suggestions, too.

Hey thanks for giving the new guy some advice. I do apprciated it.

Santa
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

Hi Santo. I'm a long time PC user. I tried Mac back years ago and ran into problems with its programing language. So I switched over the PC and haven't looked back since. There is one big drawback to using a PC and that's if you're online with it like I am mine. And that is that hackers are always out there trying to get in. So we PC users have to add all kinds of blockers and anti-virus blockers, etc. Well, you get the picture. However, if you were to keep your Mac for on-line use for transfering files then you'd have it all. A PC that would handle your music software and a Mac to handle your internet needs. I'm tempted to try to find a used Mac somewhere just for that purpose. Also it's a great graphics machine. But the PC has it beat in software availability. Not that many writers of software for the Mac and it's a very cornered market. Also it's just too danged expensive for my blood. Just some thoughts about the differences. Others opinions will vary, I'm sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search