The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD-1 + Protools + smpte online = nervous breakdown
Old 15th July 2005
Here for the gear

UAD-1 + Protools + smpte online = nervous breakdown

Hi all,
well, I've run int an interesting problem that straddles the boundary between computer recording and ye olde analogue domain: I am running protools 6.9 on my G5 through both an Apogee Rosetta 800 and a Digi 002, chasing smpte from my trusty old MCI jh-110 1-inch 8 track, online obviously, and wanting to use the UAD-2 card that I've used on digital only projects with such pleasure in the past, but have run into a problem.
For those unfamiliar with the UAD-1 and it's RTAS port, it is Universal Audio's fancy VST plug-in card, which has a wrapper made by fxpansion that allows it to be used as an RTAS plug in protools. Unfortunately, protools cannot seemlessly correct for the latency like the native apps can, so they include a plug called Delay-comp that nudges all the other non-lugged-in tracks back to match up with the delayed tracks that the plug-ins are on. whew.
So, my problem is that once I've corrected the latency in protools and all of the tracks are aligned, they are now all slightly delayed from the tracks on tape! So, short of physically dragging all of the tracks in protools back until they match-up, which I'm pretty sure would break my time-code reference, has anyone ever had this problem and solved it? Or heard about anyone havng it and solving it? Or like a good challenge and feel like working with me on solvling it for the greater good of mankind and my own sanity? I know that if anyone can do it it's the folks on this board. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm running the same rig you are (002 + UAD-1 + Rosetta 800 + dual 2G G5) except for the MCI.

I have the same problem when I want to run a couple of BFD tracks through my outboard; mainly because I let the BFD module generate the sounds all the way to mixdown so there's no way to shift the BFD tracks (since there aren't any recorded tracks.) I end up having to 'commit' to the sounds and 'print' them to the tracks in p-tools. Of course, if you bring the tracks on the MCI into p-tools, you wouldn't have to chase it. I know it seems like a shame, but if you're going to CD with the final product, you're gonna have to go throught the A/D anyway.

Just a thought! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a nice 1" 8 track, too!

Do you mix down to it as well?

May I ask how long you've had yours and what you paid for it?
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Don't know if my solution may be useful for you (tht's because I'm not sure I got your problem exactly, even though I red thru it a few times... ) but what I do with UADed tracks is simply generate a duplicate playlist of the track, and nudge it backward (ahead of its original position...to your left if you understand me ) by the amount of latency indicated in the display. I don't use the compensator plug in on the other tracks. I feel it more natural this way, and in case I want to go back to the original track, should I change my mind on plug in selection, I always have the non nudged track: swapping is istantaneous and you save DSP on additional plugs to load. You only do this for UAD loaded tracks, the rest remains unchanged.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

SMPTE? Wow, that brings back some memories (mostly bad) I'm not sure what sort of SMPTE reader you're using, but many of these devices allow you to establish an off-set. If your reader can do this, simply apply offsets (most of them will allow you to do this in quarter frames or even smaller increments) untill you're synced up again. A "2-pop" recorded onto the 8-track and 002 (without the delays obviously) might help you to sync things up quickly. Or, if you know the amount of the delay, just bust out the calculator and figure out how many frames, or sub-frames, you're off.

If you don't have the offset capbility, you could just go with the 2-pop mentioned above and slip the tracks forward until the 2-pops line up. The drag is that if during your mix you decide you want to add or subtract a UAD-1 plug, you have to readjust the offset. It's still easier than what I used to have to go through with trying to sync u a 3/4" video deck, a 24-track and a bunch of MIDI gear and you'll end up with some fat-ass drum track off the eight track.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search