The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Famous Fun Thread: Analog v. Digital--Which is "The King" of great sound quality
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Can't we all just get along! "The King of Great Sound Quality" is not one or the other but both coming together to form Voltron!!!!

You take the strengths of both mediums, avoid their weaknesses and sprinkle some good musicians, singers and engineers somewhere in the middle and this damn debate will be over once and for all!!!!!!!!
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

all i'd say in closing like flavor flav : "don't believe the hype"
use your own ears
spend a day in a local 2" room before
believing that analog isn't for you
certainly before spending thousands on
more devices to make digital sound acceptable
or that emulate tape..........

be well

- jack
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

And if you spend a day or two in a properly equipped analogue studio you will walk away with the knowlege backed up by your own ears and experience that

The King of Great Sound Quality Is Analogue.
Old 25th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges
Johnny B - you are boring. Your posts in this thread thread sound like a 16 year old fanboy who has to get the last word in. It has got to the point where you could make the most valid, technically acurate and convincing argument about the whole subject and I couldn't believe you. It's almost like you are defending something. Surely you can't be defending Analogue as that would imply it has a chink in it's armour that requires defending. You remind me of Competitive Dad from the FastShow; just as pedantic, anally retentive and just as childish.

now THAT is NO bull****.

analog has lots of chinks in its armor. i have a studio 5 minutes from my house with a top of the line studer 2" and various other 1", 1/2", 1/4" decks and the guy begs me to come record there... i have no use for it. i have been there, done that... got no use for it.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, yeah...digital really sounds great...NOT.

The primary problem of why digital still sounds like **** is all the garbage that the Math Scoundrels have done with those pieces of **** silicon chips they call "converters"..the only thing they do is convert music with life into music that is dead sounding and ice cold when compared to great analogue.

Along with being sued by the mean-as-junkyard dog Class Action Lawsuit attorneys, the Digital Math Scoundrels ought to be forced to sleep on beds made completely of ice...then they would realize that they too are freezing their balls off.

Digital: no guts, no balls, no heat, no warmth

Digital is full of crappy sounding Time Smear, terrible Math Rounding Errors, stupid Truncation, and freakin' Anomalies up the ass...

All the underlying digital tech with all its time smear, truncation, math rounding errors, and anomalies should be tossed out like yesterday's garbage.

Time to give it all up and start over from square one.

Why?

Because after 25 years of "efforting," digital is a complete and total failure with regard to Sound Quality, digital still sounds like ass.

If you want it to sound professional, you still have to go with analogue.
Old 25th July 2005
There is only one

to be honest, it isnt hte convertor chips that are the culprits in ADAC designs, its the ANALOG sections of them/
Old 25th July 2005
There is only one

johnny B, why dont you talk about something you KNOW about... math cannot have ERROR. its called divide by zero when it errors which crashes a system. its "rounding" is a pure function that is repeatable time after time.... so therefore can NOT be an ERROR, it is DELIBERATE.

cant have time smear either since it is based on accuracy of TIME [sampling rate] and would also result in quite audible popping [sync issues]... now ANALOG has phase smear bigtime [which you could call time smear]... and generally why SOME think analog sounds better as the HF content is usually the first to be affected by this resulting in a phasier top end, which also makes it "wider" sounding.

you want ot talk about anamolies? analog gear is ALL about anomolies... from each component present in the design. some make things worse sounding, some make things passible.

analog gear also has at best a 1% tolerance so each component in the system can very by 1% each... now start adding up all those components and see how "accurate" that system becomes.

digital is going to give you the exact same result every time over every system running the same components.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

alpha ,

i know my studer sounds better than any digital i've ever heard, including dsd - i
am not educated in these things enough to know why.....
i also know that many more people choose digital and daws because of budgets
and convenience
while i would prefer an all analog world, i know that it doesn't exist
i do know that every day spent in my studio by people otherwise working in logic
and pro tools has added depth and dimension to the projects they are working on
a hybrid world can do alot with small budgets....

i have never experienced somone saying, "that 16 track doesn't sound as good
as the digital version" ........never - this world of anamolies exists only on paper
usually people are blown away because they have been sequestered in a pro tools
world for five years...............
if you have no use for it, fine.................
if its bull**** to you, fine.......................
to me that most records now sound horrible
when we have long since possesed the
means to do otherwise - that's bull****.......
letting mediocrity become the standard - that's bull**** ??

who is it serving ? digidesign and other gear makers........not young engineers
or music lovers

be well,

jack
Old 25th July 2005
There is only one

most new records sound horrible these days because of the lack of artistic non-talent labels have been signing and are simply fodder for the masses... why would one use those as a litmus of where recordings are at these days.... beat detected, autotuned, sample replace crap?!?
Old 25th July 2005
There is only one

jack, i dont have issues with bands compaining on how things sound... i get the opposite, very much pleased with the results. and new bands hear it and ask if i can make THEM sound that good [which i often wonder myself]

what you use is fine.... its YOUR studio, your work, your reputation you have to look after and you have to use what you feel is the strongest way to work for YOU.

however, to even think your way or the highway for all is absurd. i have heard people get GREAT results with a soundblaster SC on some crappy free-DAW and a $100 mic. so im not about to begin to let snobbery comment on their results. i have also heard the "best" analog gear sound like total ass... and steve albini pretty much is the example of how bad analog CAN sound, though it really just shows its the indian, not the arrow.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Are we comparing, say a, $20k ProTools HD setup and a $20k analog setup?

or are we comparing a $20k PT HD setup against a $40k studer/$250k plus SSL console combo?

or are we comparing a PT HD setup/SSL C200 digital console against the same studer/ssl analog console?

I prefer the hybrid of PT HD mixed thru SSL 9000j/k but have done ITB songs.

I will say that cheap anaolg sucks and digital is still in it's infancy.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

alpha, point taken

my friend, jim white, made an amazing record called wrong eyed jesus on
pro tools in la several years ago...............

be well

- jack
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
my friend, jim white, made an amazing record called wrong eyed jesus on
pro tools in la several years ago...............

be well

- jack
my point exactly. it can be done and has been done many times.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

In a head-to-head competition, analogue always wins the Sound Quality race.

Torture may be too good for all the Digital Math Scoundrels responsible for the suck ass sound quality of those ice cold digital chips.

Tar and feather all the Digital Math Scoundrels, then sick the Class Action Attorneys on these frauds.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlotto
Are we comparing, say a, $20k ProTools HD setup and a $20k analog setup?

or are we comparing a $20k PT HD setup against a $40k studer/$250k plus SSL console combo?

or are we comparing a PT HD setup/SSL C200 digital console against the same studer/ssl analog console?

I prefer the hybrid of PT HD mixed thru SSL 9000j/k but have done ITB songs.

I will say that cheap anaolg sucks and digital is still in it's infancy.
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Head

Johnny, you're going to wear out your keyboard.

Just copy-and-paste your "talking points" everytime someone has a valid argument.

It'll save you some time.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

johnny, i would like a tape of you talking to the law-firm,
maybe as you are washing your hands, explaining to
the secretary at the law firm that you have just been
through a long tar and feathering process,
you are are little worn out, you are now
getting your hands clean, you would then like to sit
down and discuss the grounds of your class-action
suit......

be well

- jack
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
Digital is full of crappy sounding Time Smear,

All the underlying digital tech with all its time smear,
That's funny, because digital has no time smear, while analog has large amounts (phase smear) especially analog tape machines (and other anomalies...sure some of these anomalies sound good but there are many of them).

EDIT: ah, alpha has already pointed this out.

Quote:
If you want it to sound professional, you still have to go with analogue.
Haha, right! It's pretty obvious you aren't a musician or a good engineer.

It's also painfully obvious by now that you are the frustrated bastard child of a Digital Math Scoundrel.

Keep cutting and pasting the same rebuttles and fanatical statements over and over again though...it will never get old.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBrian

Haha, right! It's pretty obvious you aren't a musician or a good engineer.

at least here in nyc
both the musicians and
the good engineers
show a lot more visible
emotion when working
with tape.....................

be well
- jack
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

thats 200.
is the king not the one that makes it easy to make $$$ ?
I mean who really cares?
.5% of the buying public.
think about it and get to work.
and try and make some cool music.

next time,
jfg
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

BrianBrian clearly has a big sense of humour as he says in his bio that he likes
"to manically clean [his] fingernails"and that the "Key gear" he uses are "Voodoo dolls, dreamcatchers, psychedelics, crossbows, UAD-1, Pulsar II, bovine difribulators."

How can you not take this gentleman's opinion seriously when he says that digital sounds great and implies (without convincing backup evidence, btw) that digital is even better than analogue when it comes to "Sound Quality."

Of course, we all must admit that there are quite a few people who thoroughly disagree with BrianBrian's personal opinion.

The reason they disagree is that they know the truth --- digital sound quality sucks when compared to great analogue.
Old 26th July 2005
There is only one

brianbrian... dude, that is hilarious! almost verbatim [more like obvious ]...

johnny failed math class
johnny failed math class

muahahahaha.... idiot.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

This is my Rifle: .......................................................This is my Gun.

This is for Fighting.......................................................This is for fun.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

The bigger the boys,
the more expensive the toys.

When cold sterilization is the sound
Then digital's ugly silicon can be found.

Maybe a fitting punishment for all the chip makers' Digital Math Scoundrels would be forced sterilization, that way these lyin' ass criminals could not reproduce and have offspring that furthers their father's fraud.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The bigger the boys,
the more expensive the toys.

When cold sterilization is the sound
Then digital's ugly silicon can be found.

Maybe a fitting punishment for all the chip makers' Digital Math Scoundrels would be forced sterilization, that way these lyin' ass criminals could not reproduce and have offspring that furthers their father's fraud.
Riddle me this, what's a fitting punishment for A Complete Idiot?
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Good question. The very first thing that could happen to a complete idiot is that some Digital Math Scoundrel Sharks convince the Board of Directors of a chip making company to make a silicon wafer that is supposed to do a really precise and very accurate conversion of analogue music.

Now get this, the dumb ass Board believes the Digital Math Scoundrels and funds the project, but later they come out with a piece of **** thing that only does 16-bits and is very, very slow. So slow, in fact, that even at the speed of 44.1K it's still not enough speed to do the job properly. That's a scientific fact, despite what the Digital Math Scoundrels originally claimed. They found out about this "anomally" along the way, but they decided to continue with their fraudlent scheme and just cover it up and lie about it, even to the dumb ass Board.

So the next group of complete idiots then buy into the Digital Math Scoundrels' next big lie, that now patched with band-aides stuck all over it, they now come up with 24 stinkin' bits and 96Khz....that was supposed to make it sound just as good as analogue...but guess what?...it still doesn't...but the complete idiots in the world...including the chip company's dumb ass Board of Directors...believes them...again!...opps...they all have tin ears...but some scoundrels know that outright fraud is ocurring.

Well the fraud of the Digital Math Scoundrels just continues on unabated....more lies....more hype...and more suckers....Now the new lie is that 24 bit 192Khz will fully capture real analogue music....but as we saw in earlier pages...a professior at CalTech says that's still too slow and can't capture all the frequencies of analogue music in an accurate and precise manner....but the fraud continues and the complete idiots are right there behind them defending their own dumb purchasing decisions to invest in piss poor digital sound.

So then what?

The Digital Math Scoundrels have a dialogue that goes something like this:

Digital Math Scoundrel One: "Ok fellas, we know people are not liking this brittle, lifeless, and ice cold sound from our little silicon wafers."

Digital Math Scoundrel Two: "Oh, I know...lets just tell people that these digital math models and emulations of analogue devices will fix everything...it will 'warm' the digital sound up"

Digital Math Scoundrel Three: "Great plan. We'll tell the idiots that it's exactly like the real deal analogue devices that we are trying to copy..."

Digital Math Scoundrel One: "Yeah. Don't worry...these buyers are all 'pro-sumers,' they will buy anything we say about this ****...."

Digital Math Scoundrel Two: "Why...they are such idiots... they actually believe that cheap mics made in slave labor offshore countries can actually replicate the sound of 5 to 10 thousand dollar mics..."

Digital Math Scoundrel Three: "Now we are on a roll. If they complain about the ****ty sound quality of our silicon chips...we will use our typical canned rebuttals on them...and if that does not work...we will throw math at these idiots...and convince them that they should blame themselves for the poor sound quality...that will keep the idiots confused..."

Digital Math Scoundrel One: "In the meantime...we'll all be laughing our asses off at the idiots as we play another round of golf on that fantastic island we love so much. What's that saying about a sucker born every minute?"

Digital Math Scoundrel Two: "Umm, I think that may have been PT Barnum who said that...he was a great salesman...now if he had been born later and knew just enough math...he could have joined up with us and been a Digital Math Scoundrel."

The real idiots are the people who fell for the fraud of the Digital Math Scoundrels.

Always remember:

"Math is the last refuge of scoundrels."
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Always remember:

"Digital Math is the last refuge of scoundrels."
this is supposed to read : " math is the last refuge of scoundrels "

- jack
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear