The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Famous Fun Thread: Analog v. Digital--Which is "The King" of great sound quality
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

The math wh*res/math scoundrels who are responisble for the terrible sound quality of digital should all be imprisoned, that is, after the mean-as-junk-yard dog Class Action Lawsuit lawyers get done with them and disgourge all their ill-gotten gains and return all the money to the victims of the math scoundrels' mass fraud.

The digital math scoundrels massive fraud did injury to the public-at-large (worldwide damage!) they should be made to make restitution to the entire world...that ought to cost them billions and billions and billions of dollars. The injured purchasers of crappy digital gear will then have the opportunity to use their share of the class action lawsuit recovery fund to hire or buy decent analogue gear or simply hire a pro studio that is properly equipped with professional analogue gear.
Old 22nd July 2005
There is only one

whats a matter johnny.... did you fail math in school?
Old 22nd July 2005
Here for the gear

Nah. The man is a purist. Note that he has no frets on his guitar.

zip
Old 22nd July 2005
There is only one

i think he got paddled in math class for failing....
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Whether I passed or failed math classes is wholly irrelevant to the fact that digital's sound quality sucks. The math-headed Nyquist lemmings who eat and breathe hex code and have tin ears must stand and take their punishment for lying to the public, for giving people digital **** that is full of sickening "anomalies" which accumulate to produce ****ty digital sound.

Send all these chip maker's zoo-headed propeller freaks to the stockaide, make them listen to MPfreakin3's until they all die of headaches. How dare they sell this silicon thin-wafer **** to the world when everyone knows it sucks compared to the sound of great analogue.

All digital sounds brittle, thin, lifeless, and ****ty.

And what is everybody trying to do? Uhhh, get analogue front-ends to "warm" that cold as ice, dead-sounding digital crap. How about fake models and lame ass emulators? These pieces of **** are nowhere close to the real deal analogue device. This is just more fraud and lies piled upon previous fraud and lies.

Digital still sucks, people should not delude themselves about it. All the math scoundrels responsible for the sorry state of digital sound quality must be made to pay for the fraud they perpetrated. No form of punishment is too severe for these pricks, and having them go out-of-pocket for billions upon billions of dollars will never fully compensate for the harm they have done.
Old 23rd July 2005
There is only one

johnny failed math class....

na na na nah na...
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
Whether I passed or failed math classes is wholly irrelevant to the fact that digital's sound quality sucks. The math-headed Nyquist lemmings who eat and breathe hex code and have tin ears must stand and take their punishment for lying to the public, for giving people digital **** that is full of sickening "anomalies" which accumulate to produce ****ty digital sound.

Since everyone believes in marketing! Its also why we all have studios full of behringer gear...
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Also remember this when comtemplating the sad state of digital sound quality:

"Figures can lie, and math scoundrels can figure."

Unfortunately, all the math trickery the math wh*res have come up with produces nothing but nasty digital "anomalies" which when added together all sound like digital ass.

The chip makers *could* do far better, instead, they try to pass off lies and shoddy thin-wafer merchandise that always results in that cold, cold, brittle-sounding silicon digital trash to make outrageous profits. They take advantage of all the suckers in the world as they are easy marks for the math scoundrels' fraud.
Old 23rd July 2005
There is only one

opposed to those horrendous tape machine makers who spew out muddy and mushy distorted noise boxes?

class action lawsuits against tape manufacturers! oh wait... there arent any, or at least they dont have a dime to take!
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Maybe some would vainly hope to defend the ass-sounding truncation anomalies of digital, maybe they'd like to defend the life-sucking "time smear" of digital, or the suck ass dither and weaker-than-weakling bit-depths and the rest of the pure **** that goes on in digital. Digital is nothing more than a puss-filled zit-faced math scoundrel's murky notion of reality which is based on only two crappy digital data points and faulty math models. That's barely scratching the surface of the many reasons that digital sound quality still sucks when compared to great analogue.

Sue the evil math scoundrels of silicon, sick those Class Action Lawyers on them.
Old 23rd July 2005
There is only one

and the piss poor noise floor of analog... woo hoo... got 20bits to spare? no i dont think so. fuuck
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

when well set up the noise floor of the studer with no noise reduction
is amazing at 30 ips
and good at 15ips

i've often done digital sessions where the logic or pro tools
is running simultaneously - i don't notice
the noise, i do notice some of the creations
of the scoundrel.................
the scoundrel also
espouses
clearchannel
george bush
and product...

karmacally speaking, as crazy as johnny b sounds, he may be right - while pro tools has
allowed access to recording to millions, which is a good thing, it bears the chief
responsibility as the tool with which lies were perpetuated throughout a culture - it
was effectively asking that things no longer mean what they once did in terms of
quality, or previous notions of standards - if it were a tool used by a culture that
valued different things, it might be only thought of in creative terms....... we might then
be discussing something very magical.............as an occasional editing tool...........

be well

- jack
Old 23rd July 2005
There is only one

no it hasnt.... and i dont even use PT. its just a tool.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

when you say it,

you mean,

the scoundrel?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmm, seems Alphajerk may have been "enslaved" by the math scoundrels' system of "digital anomalies" and trashy digital sound quality.

Or maybe Alphajerk works for one of the slimeball chip makers. Could Alphajerk be worried that the Class Action Lawsuit lawyers may catch him and send him or the company he works for into bankruptcy?

Or maybe Alphajerk thinks digital has come as far as it will ever go, that *no* improvements will *ever* be made. Better yet, would be when entirely new tech comes along that does it properly from the start. Dump the bad digital legacy and bad code that's been handed down from the profiteers and lyin' crooks. Admit the failure, junk the digital crap, and move on to new methods that just might work.

Face it Alphajerk, the math scoundrels got off to a bad start and have been trying to throw little lame patches on the original turd A-to-D and D-to-A technology and have been trying to polish that piece of **** ever since. 25 years of bootlickin' and polishing a piece of **** silicon wafer and it's still nothing but ****.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm, seems Alphajerk may have been "enslaved" by the math scoundrels' system of "digital anomalies" and trashy digital sound quality.

Better add to the list the majority of people one this forum too... including the respected and highly acclaimed Michael Wagner who have all apparently been "enslaved".
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Maybe so, but the world and all those who care about "Sound Quality" would be far better off if some bright young people "invent[ed some new independent] systems" that did the A-to-D and D-to-A process the right way.

To throw off the yoke of the current slaveowners, we need a revolution. A revolution whose goals will include the admission of the numerous abominal mistakes made by the digital math scoundrels who gave us way too many "digital anomalies" all of which accumulate to make digital sound weak, thin, brittle, and ice cold.

All revolutions require a bit of rage against the machine and that some economic blood be spilled. Here, the spilling of the economic blood of the digital math scoundrels is justified since they have conspired to commit outright mass fraud.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe so, but the world and all those who care about Sound Quality would be far better off if some bright young people "invent[ed some new independent] systems" that did the A-to-D and D-to-A process the right way.

To throw off the yoke of the current slaveowners, we need a revolution. A revolution whose goals will include the admission of the numerous abominal mistakes made by the digital math scoundrels who gave us way too many digital anomalies all of which accumulate to make digital sound weak, thin, brittle, and ice cold.

All revolutions require a bit of rage against the machine and that some economic blood be spilled. Here, the spilling of the economic blood of the digital math scoundrels is justified since they have conspired to commit outright mass fraud.
Revolution is bound by evolution...

Seems a lot of people are happy where the world is right now. You can kick and scream all you want but your "utopia" isn't a place everyone agrees with.

I found this comment rather amusing... but hey what does he know right? where are all the numbers... His name only appear on quite a few CD's i own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
I never liked tape period. I jumped on the first digital machines when they came out, finally my kick and snare came back the way I send 'em in. That said, I do like having the ability to use a box which smoothes some of the digital edges in a controlled way. (tape is pretty uncontrolled to me, and yes, we have messed with bias and other setups for weeks and months)
Music isn't science... It's art... you can take you white labcoat approach and stuff it up your whinging little ying yang. According to you, if you like digital you dont care about sound quality. What a load of ****. If digital sounds the way you describe it, you are doing something wrong!! And no it DOESN"T sound like analog! Its not f%&king spose too! How about turning off your computer and put the time you spend mindlessly whinging into improving your production techniques... or if you feel so strongly about your mindless ranting... why do you do something about it instead of just whinge, whinge whinge ****ing whinge...

The thing that seperates you from every man and his math that you have sledged in this thead is the fact that they've done something constructive with there life. They have put there life's work into an idea... what the f&%k have you done?? nothing but whinge. complain. babble on mindless about people who have be recognised as significant contributers to technology. What have you contributed? nothing... just complain about whats apparently "wrong".

It takes twice the man to put a life's work out there, then the man who thinks he tough by trying to pull it down...

Why don't you go and do something constructive.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Guess you like being part of the "slave system of digital," that's fine with me.

I also suppose you overlooked the part of your authority's quote where he alluded to the truth and mentioned "Digital Edges." The need for him to use an undisclosed "smoothing box" shows that digital is full of "Digital Edges" which all sound like ass.

Here's something that looks pretty lifeless:

16 stinkin' little bits, based upon only two stinkin' little data points! You can call that music if you like, but I'm afraid that you may have some difficulty selling that faulty math model concept to very many professional musicians.

Dynamic range? Forget it.

The problems with current suck ass digital technology are legendary, I don't give a crap what *any* "authority figure" says or how much hype and spin-doctoring the marketing hacks try to put on the math scoundrels' lies, digital sound quality still sucks.

Digital can't hold a candle to great analogue Sound Quality.

Rage, rage against that digital night...
it's still full of things that go bad
and bring on the plight

Digital edges seem to abound
Terrible anomalies are all around
Sounds like **** and brings on the fright
Rage, Rage against that digital night

(with my sincere apologies to the memory of Dylan Thomas)

All those responsible for the deplorable Sound Quality of digital should be boiled in oil, and all the underlying tech of digital sound needs to be rigorously challenged, and then discarded in favor of brand new technology that gets the job done properly.

If people really want their projects to sound better than what a hobbiest can produce, they have to go to a professional studio that is properly equipped with a full compliment of great analogue gear.

In the Sound Quality Race---Analogue is still *The* King.
Old 23rd July 2005
There is only one

here is a little high-Q for ya.

analog sucks ass
and johnny b failed math class
aint that a damn b!tch
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

You heard it here, the words of Alphajerk, a man who apparently has been "enslaved by other men's [****ty sounding digital] systems."

Apparently, Alphajerk is the slave to the "Digital Math Scoundrels'" jerkwater machines.

Much more rage against those defective digital machines is warranted.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Here are more reasons to see that, at best, the Digital Math Scoundrels only deliver a "very weak and wimpy approximation" of the real analogue world.

The commercially available AD/DA converter chips (even the best ones) are nothing but "pro-sumer" or hobbyist grade pieces of silicon **** because they are way too slow and cannot even capture and reproduce standard musical instruments' full frequencies. The weak and slow silicon **** chips put out by the Digital Math Scoundrels with tin ears all sound like **** for a reason, actually, the ****ty little silicon chips all sound like ass for many reasons all leading to one conclusion---digital Sound Quality sucks.

Check this out for an example of how the Digital Math Scoundrels' fastest chips are too weak and slow to capture real world frequencies.

http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~boyk/spectra/spectra.htm

The lesson is clear, if you want it to sound professional, you have to use "The King" of Sound Quality...you have to use analogue.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Here's my non-scientific take on it...

For years I wrote and produced music at a Neve- Studer studio in Ft Lauderdale FL (New River Studios). As Pro Tools came into my life, I did more and more at home, until finally I did it all at home (unless there was a huge string need or brass thing).

I've used PT for years, and gotten some pretty good sounding tracks out of it. New River finally went out of business because of guys doing what I do now at home.

I recently put up some old DATS of things I'd done at New River, ten years ago.

It was just humiliating. The analog stuff just killed everything I've ever done on Pro Tools. Depth, warmth, geez, you name it. It all just sounds HUGE.

There is no comparison at least in my experience, even though I will not being going back, I will never delude myself either...

TH
Old 24th July 2005
There is only one

ironic it was on DIGITAL audio tape....
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

maybe the depth was coming from the dat....
Old 24th July 2005
There is only one

the hiss certainly wasnt... but i got to wonder about the error rates on those DATs.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

they were pretty fancy for awhile..............

"live to dat"..............

the majic of those little tapes has certainly faded...........
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
they were pretty fancy for awhile..............

"live to dat"..............

the majic of those little tapes has certainly faded...........

I'll take the hiss.

Even the DAT couldn't screw with sound enough to prevent the truth from coming through

TH (whose Beatles collection sounds just fine, when the material is great, I don't hear any hiss)
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

i don't hear hiss..........
the irony that alphajerk pointed out is very important:

the dat lets you see the depth of the tape
much like a cd lets you hear the depth of the tape
or like the band that, in 2005, cuts basics on tape
and then throws them in the box...........

the sealed lp that i had of the first basie/sinatra collaboration from 1962
that i mentioned awhile ago raised so many questions and really
kills all standards we have today - a live record made in one day -
that band could play - and that vinyl with that horn section soars in all
frequencies - and at 43 years old, its whisper quiet

the closest thing to the basie band we've
got now , i think, is prince's band - in that they rehearse like crazy/ they play all the time - they sound amazing -
and they've just bought several new studers.........
Old 24th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
- a live record made in one day -
that band could play - .........

that is probably the biggest difference.... i notice very quickly in recordings when bands are ON IT vs. chugging through it, the sound opens up.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search