The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Famous Fun Thread: Analog v. Digital--Which is "The King" of great sound quality
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

my session ended at 3
i'm still awake at 6
this has nothing to do with tape or digital
watching the flaming lips movie
about to say , jesus you still up round badge,
but you're
in la..........

be well
sleep well

- jack
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Anal-og or -ogue is latin for "****-sound".
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
Gets My vote for funniest thread this year.
You DO catch on quick.

So what would be your recommendation on the torture we should impose on all the Digital Math Scoundrels?

Hanging by their ears? Force them to listen to MPfreakin3's until they go insane and die?

Or, would it be possible for some even more extreme punishiment to be imposed on these bastard Digital Math Scoundrels?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicemaster1500
Anal-og or -ogue is latin for "****-sound".
Now who is being an idiot? C'mon, you know God damn good and well that Analogue kicks Digital's ass up one side and down the other in that Sound Quality Race.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1
time for a little rant from me which is rare....
i'm just a dumb a** engineer.
i think we could all come back in a million years and still debates would be raging on which gear gives you the best quality.
in summary years ago i realised after talking to lots of AES guys and engineers at AES shows that there was no and never will be a perfect solution.
whether analogue or digital. my degree is in science. and once we talk about electronics then we get into the realm of imperfections.
everything, and i mean everything is imperfect. because recording products are created by humans who are imperfect by our nature.
in summary - every technology has its plusses and minuses.
ive owned both..tape multitrack and digital.
tape multitrack drove me nuts because of worries about wow and flutter, keeping multitracks up to spec, parts costs, noise floors and various issues like constant calibration and maintenance needs and tape costs at 200 bucks a reel. digital drives me nuts for different reasons.
in particular i have to watch i dont hit digital brick walls. mp3 quality etc.
in summary - we can debate this endlessly , but i have never seen any perfect solution. just my 2 cents.
personally fairly straight forward Digital computer (protools HD maybe) with good analogue mixer and other front end devise the best of both worlds cos who wants to have be spilcing analogue tape now thats the real draw back with tape
Old 4th August 2005
Here for the gear

the best records ive worked on were done like so:

drums to tape,
guitars to tape,
dump it all into pro tools (or whichever platform you'd prefer),
everything else in digi.

hasn't done me wrong yet.

i do agree also with the idea of a strong analogue front end: board, pre's etc.
onto a digital medium.
but i also agree that noone will ever settle this debate.

so there it is, im a fence sitter. i like them both equally.
what a parental answer.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

EVERYONE STOP RECORDING MUSIC!!!
make music by yourself.
acoustic.
be music.

fuuck
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think CDs sound great.

Usually, the playback system and environment sucks.

Have you ever listened to your tracks an Ipod, even with WAVs?

Or a car stereo?

Clock radio?

Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I guess that the only transducer that we do not get to choose, is the only one that matters...the EAR!!
The wise design of it, has it's own way to deal with sound, not to mention all de damage that may carry from years of mistreatment.
Our interpretation of how something sounds will depend ond the SPECS of each of our own apparatus and the laws that govern them. I'd be more concern about my speakers and Room when judging the frequency and Dynamic arrangement in an "ordered" group of Sounds. In the end are just Sound Waves thru Air what we are listening to......................Joaquin.
Old 5th August 2005
There is only one

analog SUCKS... it really really SUCKS.... digital is better!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newreply....eply&p=386623#
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, you are simply quite wrong about that, you have it reversed.

But maybe we can expect this kind of a comment from some person who has failed to update his computers since the late 1980's and still uses software from that by-gone era or from a person who otherwise fails to realise that:

All things digital are obsolete before you even buy them.

However, the amount of torture that should be applied to the Digital Math Scoundrels responsible for digital's terrible sound quality should know no bounds.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

After intensive listening tests using the most expensive listening equipment I could get my hands on, doing hundreds of comparisons and making sure I could hear every single nuance of the recording medium, I finally came to a descision about which was superior.

The one with music I liked on it.

heh
Old 5th August 2005
There is only one

Quote:

chorus:
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

It's all about the DSD. DSD is king.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

i think an analog / dsd situation will be really good - its probably going
to take some more time....... i think the industry in the digital world will
break apart into two factions.......... there won't be any dsd workstation
le for a long time..............

i've heard mixes from pt to dsd but that's almost like insuring a rhinestone
to my ears............if the source material is ??? - this also was coming
through one of nyc's very finest neves............to a true sonoma
recording setup

but anyway: analog sucks ! analog sucks ! flatten it out !
use the numbers instead of your ears ! analog sucks!
make the audio thin ! i wanna dance to something
thin! or give me an lcd readout of how good i'ts
sounding ! analog sucks!

be well

- jack
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Nice try at sarcasim, but I'm afraid your attempt at good humour may be lost on the childish minds that come here.

Everyone knows that in a head-to-head Sound Quality competition that Analogue Rules.

The major problem with digital (besides those wimpy thin-sounding suck ass converters) are the Digital Math Scoundrels who came up with those suck ass converters.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
Which technology has the superior sound quality...

A. Analogue

B. Digital
Hello John
I love the real analog sound.
Not to confound with the stuck together from the 60's.
With the Recording and particularly with the mastring.

I use most modern analog technology for the treatment of sounds.
Tube Microphone, Tube Micpreamp, Tube Compressor and tube Equalizer.

Also a strongly modified analog section of our Studer A-80 MK-II in
genuine transistor and transformer technology and the solid MK-IV
mechanics. (GP9 volume)

But of similarly too digitally and/ or in reverse of digitally too similarly (mastring) I trust Lavryconverter.

In the max/pc. I make only cuts for, Filters corrections (surgical interferences) and z.B. L1-3 loud.

Both worlds - analog and digitally are good. Is important, to work also correctly high-quality analog and digital devices, then a good entirely sound picture is made possible.

Hallo John,
Ich liebe den echten analogen Sound.
Nicht zu verwechseln mit den verklebten aus den 60er.

Beim Recording und vor allem beim Mastering.
Ich benutze modernste analoge Technik für die Klangbearbeitung.
Tube Microphone, Tube Micpreamp, Tube Compressor and Tube Equalizer.
Auch eine stark modifizierte Analogsektion von unsere Studer A-80 MK-II in echter Transistor und Transformator Technik und der soliden MK-IV Mechanik. (GP9 Band)

Aber von analog zu digital und / oder umgekehrt von digital zu analog (Mastering) vertraue ich Lavry Converter.

Im Max/PC mache ich nur noch Schnitte, Filter Korrekturen (chirurgische Eingriffe) und z.B. L1-3 Laut Macher.

Beide Welten - analog und digital sind gut. Wichtig ist, mit richtig hochwertigen analogen und digitalen Geräten zu arbeiten, dann ist ein gutes gesamt Bild ermöglicht.

Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

i like your tape recorder, mrs fairman

- jack
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Now who gave the people MPfreakin3's? It was the Digital Math Scoundrels and they built crappy pieces of silicon **** chips to deliver that format.

Who here? aims at that ****ty MPfreakin3 delivery format? Who here records at this digital format?

Probably no one tracks at MPfreakin3 because they know that this awful invention of the Digital Math Scoundrels sounds like ass.

"Why do you record any better than MP3 quality? The answer is: Because you are putting your work, your labor of love, and your artist's vision, to a format that has life for a longer period than 'right now.'" --- George Massenburg
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

i've had a very ****ty couple of weeks - when that passes i'll start another
thread, but with all due service to people's open minds.......

if a kid working for me didn't notice the huge difference bewteen the tape and the
digital even at 192, a difference meaning that with the 192 things shrink, clearly
loose frequency response, detail, and most importantly depth, etc........
i wouldn't feel comfortable having him engineer here......

this has never happened - i know lots of engineers like myself who use digital
for practical applications - digital does pay the rent some months -
but i don't know one engineer who thinks it sounds better.......

onwards : i'd like to hear from the hybrid people - my studer tech is on the
way - when that gets done , i'll have more time

- jack
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
i like your tape recorder, mrs fairman

- jack
If you hear this special (audiophile) modified variant of the A-80 1/2, audio electronics, still more.
Old 6th August 2005
There is only one

Quote:
- my studer tech is on the
way -
come on man... ya gots ta know your machinery...
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

that's why he' s coming ; i've got plenty still to learn

be well

- jack
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

"[I]f a kid working for me didn't notice the huge difference bewteen the tape and the
digital even at 192, a difference meaning that with the 192 things shrink, clearly
loose frequency response, detail, and most importantly depth, etc........
i wouldn't feel comfortable having him engineer here......

[I] don't know one engineer who thinks [digital] sounds better.......
That's because all the engineers you know (even the kids, the helpers, and the interns) all have ears and know that digital always comes in last place in that Sound Quality Race.

Clearly, the Digital Math Scoundrels would rather tell lies and sell garbo pieces of plastic **** converters than use their freakin' ears. Every damn one one of these Digital Math Scoundrels will tell you their wimpy thin-sounding silicon chips looks great on a scope. These bastards will lie and say it "sounds great...here, look at my figures and my specs." But none of these sons of bitches has freakin' ears...if they did...they would agree with all the audio engineers that maidsroom is alluding to and would come to the conclusion that their little plastic mathematical masterpieces are crap...a total failure...and they all sound like ****.

Hang these bastard Digital Math Scoundrels up by their freakin' ears. Tar and feather them. Draw and quarter them. Sick the pack dogs on them. Make them eat garbage.

No punishment is too great for the Digital Math Scoundrels.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
That's because all the engineers you know (even the kids, the helpers, and the interns) all have ears and know that digital always comes in last place in that Sound Quality Race.

Clearly, the Digital Math Scoundrels would rather tell lies and sell garbo pieces of plastic **** converters than use their freakin' ears. Every damn one one of these Digital Math Scoundrels will tell you their wimpy thin-sounding silicon chips looks great on a scope. These bastards will lie and say it "sounds great...here, look at my figures and my specs." But none of these sons of bitches has freakin' ears...if they did...they would agree with all the audio engineers that maidsroom is alluding to and would come to the conclusion that their little plastic mathematical masterpieces are crap...a total failure...and they all sound like ****.

Hang these bastard Digital Math Scoundrels up by their freakin' ears. Tar and feather them. Draw and quarter them. Sick the pack dogs on them. Make them eat garbage.

No punishment is too great for the Digital Math Scoundrels.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Fairman

I love the real analog sound.

Ich liebe den echten analogen Sound.

That says it all in two languages!
Old 7th August 2005
There is only one

Quote:
i've got plenty still to learn
dont we all....
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, all the digtal lemmings need education or re-education and to actually participate in head-to-head listening tests where digital is pitted against
the King of Sound Quality --- Analogue.

Apparently, the Digital Math Scoundrels and their public relations and advert firms have done a great job brainwashing people into the false belief that digital sound quality does not suck, when in fact, it does.

For this intentional fraud and deceit, the Digital Math Scoundrels should be punished.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search