The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Care to take a guess what ghost this might be?
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Care to take a guess what ghost this might be?

This has been happening for a few years now. I'm playing back just fine, all of a sudden a loud, obnoxious BBBLLLLLLLAAAAAATTTTTTTTT comes from the speakers and everything freezes on the computer,mouse, meters, everything. Only choice is a hard boot up and hope I've saved recently.Then it's okay again. This happens sporatically. maybe every 4th session. (and yes , it does royally piss me off, everytime)

I'm suspicous of the layla. I spent hours trying to get the midi working on it, bought a midiman 2X2 and had midi going in 10 minutes. Echo's stuff sounds good, but I'm not a big fan of the drivers. I know other's have good luck with the layla, I do to, the other 95% of the time.

My vst perfromance meters very rarely go above 30%
I'll try to list all my gear, yeah, I'm behind on upgrades

Dedicated pc-cubase sx 1.06- no internet
gigabye mb
1 gig ram
Promise tx2 controller card- also a suspect
layla 24
midiman 2x2
Uad1 card

Ideas? soundcard? drivers? wtf??

I won't go into the old, I'm just a poor musician who just want 's to make music not trouble shoot pcs- blah,blah...ain't it the truth.

Thanks,
Ed

Any sugges
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Head

Suspicious Layla

Hey-

I diont have any ideas concerning your problem and it is not my intention to hijack you thread. But you mentioned that you have had problems w/ Laylas midi. That peaked my interest. Would you mind describing the midi issues you are having?

I have been using the Layla 24 w/ Samplitude for a while and have never been able to get midi to work very well w/ it.

thanks

Twonky
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

The only way to troubleshoot would be to try everything you can on another computer and rule out possiblities.

But if it is the soundcard, I would get a 1st generation MOTU 828. People are selling them for very cheap since better stuff is coming out. But it is still a very good card.

I've seen these go for about 350$. And the drivers are rock solid for these cards.
Only problem: No Midi.
Old 13th July 2005
I have an Echo Mia (they all use the same driver service app, I believe) and haven't had problems with either MIDI or lockup (using Sonar -- but then I'm using the WDM drivers, not ASIO). Of course, just because all the hardware (theoretically) uses the same driver app doesn't mean a particular unit might not have issues or that there might be problems with one api over another (WDM, ASIO, MME). That said, I try to keep a mental list of problems with various hard and softwares and, after the first year or two of the Laylas back in the 90s, I haven't heard of many probs with them.

Good luck!

PS... I also have a MOTU 828 mkII... while it's been fine, I'm not sure it would still be at the top of my list if I were to go out and buy a new FW device. (Probably the single biggest failing from my POV would be the mic pre's... they were an afterthought/convenience to me when I bought it, since I have a small collection of cheap pre's I'm used to using, as well as a Mackie VLZ 24-4 [frankly, the best sounding pre's of the lot on the Mackie, cracked me up when I did a direct comparison... still it's nice to have a bunch of spices to cook with, smooths things out to use different pre's, particularly if they're 'character' pre's... you don't want all that 'character' stacking up on you in one place... too much like a play where the same actor plays all the parts... er... I better cut off the coffee supply.)
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

I had the Echo Mia MIDI for about a year and the MIDI was horrible. It would constantly be freezing everything up after about 10 minutes of playing, no matter what program I was using. I'd also have to reboot to get any sound out of my pc after that. It had a nice sound to it for the audio processing but the midi left a lot to be desired.
I recently got an Edirol PC-something or other that plugs into a USB port, and its a rock solid midi connection....I can hammer **** out on it for hours on end without the slightest jitter or sign of freezing.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Try adjusting the pci latency in the bios. i had this problem way back when and i think that is what fixed it.

jeffrey
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

tone laborer....
you didnt mention which processor you use out of interest.
running two drives ?
what do youy have in pci slots ?
if you list what you have i'll try and see something obvious.

the general rule to follow if you get a sound card problem is to try other brands.
if the problem goes away then its likely the sound card architecture itself.
or maybe the soundcard drivers.

twonky...
if you have midi problems. the way to see if its the layla midi thats the problem is to try alternate midi sequencers. if they work ...then its not your layla.
for example try the demo of powertracks that i use from pgmusic.com.
probably one of the best midi sequencers available. if you doubt me talk to other users on the pgforums. many are midi experts. tell me if powertracks runs fine with your layla midi.
if it doesnt i suspect your layla midi drivers. have you the latest layla drivers ?
ie..was there a driver update. by trying alternate midi sequencers - if they all have a problem - then this points to the soundcard probably.
once again try a different product for midi. peace.
Old 14th July 2005
I had the same problem here.. I changed the whole PC except my Harddrive.. in the end some badsectors were to blame..

I've go a new harddrive and never had same problem again..

so change the harddrive.. ?!
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer
Promise tx2 controller card- also a suspect

Any sugges
Using Promise RAID Controllers often makes trouble. These units
have a "software fader" where you set the allowed amount of
bandwidth use on the PCI bus.
Maybe your card (even if it´s not for RAID purposes) causes
trouble in a similar way....
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the advice. The processor is amd xp2100, two hard drives(maxtor),
PCI slots: Uad1, promise tx125, layla24,

Video is a matrox g450 ( I think that's it)

If I can get inbetween projects, I might try pulling controller card.

As far as midi goes, SX has some well documented problems involving emulated ports,even after I got straightened out , I could not get layla midi to work. Save yourself and get the $60 usb midiman 2x2.

Will write more later, I'm at work
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

laborer....
looking at your confign...fwiw....i think you have a lot of activity going on with the pci bus between the uad , layla and the controller for a drive. also the xp2100 while good is starting to get long in the tooth.
i think your assessment is probably correct. pull the controller...and see.
if you can i would also see if installing a proper second hard drive with 8 mb cache
helps. basically the larger the cache on hard drives the better.
if were me i might test out an upgrade to a amd 64 with lots of memory...
and two 8mb cache hard drives . with win on one (youll find win boots faster with larger caches) and the second drive for your audio tracks.
just an idea.peace.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune
Using Promise RAID Controllers often makes trouble. These units
have a "software fader" where you set the allowed amount of
bandwidth use on the PCI bus.
Maybe your card (even if it´s not for RAID purposes) causes
trouble in a similar way....
id avoid promise raid cards (ata or serial ata) like the plague. ive had to use them in file and mail servers and they have a tendency to collapse under any substantial amount of sustained throughput. 3ware cards are a little bit more expensive but are rock solid.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks, most fingers point to the tx card, I'll try pulling it.

I need lots of upgrades like software, I need more usb on the mb, ram, afterall the rig is 3 years old, freaking ancient. Sad but true.

Manning, I do have two hd's, one just for audio. However, they're just 7200rpm maxtor hd's. I'm woefully ignorant, I'll have to research this 8 meg cache hd you speak of.

And just fwiw, instead of upgrades, I opted recently for an apogee mini me and I have been AMAZED by this thing over the past few months.

The problem refered to above was happening before and continued after I clocked with/added the apogee.

Really appreciate the hints, thanks.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I pulled the controller card tonight and have been playing lots of projects, so far, so good.

Sometimes the problem has gone several weeks before rearing it's ugly head, so I won't know for sure until after some time. Thanks for the help, I'm stoked at the possibility this glitch is solved, and I can continue in my sluttish endeavors.

It brings up a basic IDE question. I've got two IDE ports on the motherboard (Gigabyte GA7DX+). Now that I've pulled the tx card, I've got the system drive in the primary IDE and the audio hd in the secondary IDE.

I still need to plug in the CD burner, right now it's unplugged. Which IDE cable would be best to use. Don't you want the hd's to be at the end of the IDE cables?
I seem to remember that from when I built the pc. Sorry, I know it's a basic question.

Thanks,
Ed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search