The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any such thing as a SPDIF/USB or FW dongle?
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Any such thing as a SPDIF/USB or FW dongle?

Is there a way to get into a laptop digitally without having to have a seperate box? I'd like a dongle type device that is USB or FW to SPDIF. I realize MBoxes are not that bulky, but I need ultra portable. Any ideas?
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Several years ago an engineer friend of mine bought a Digigram VX Pocket for his PC laptop: it's an PCMCIA card that has a breakout cable with balanced stereo analog I/O, AES and Spdif I/O (on XLR and RCA connectors respectively). It did sound good and was truly portable, but I guess if you're going to use it with Pro Tools it's not going to work, only Mbox for that app (unless you go with PT Free...but I think that wouldn't be a very smart move). Was great with Wavelab or Sound Forge though.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

The last link is exactly what I was talking about.

L.G.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks, I guess I should have got the Powerbook with PCMIA instead of the iBook. Too bad some techie geek can't mod a spdif jack onto the side, like the power adapter jack. That'd be worth a few hundred bucks for me to be able to do. (Is Steve Job's listening?)
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

have you checked out m-audio interfaces? i know they make some small mobile interfaces with spdif i/o and digi has a version of pro-tools le that supports these interfaces directly...

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/Pr...ered-main.html
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerax View Post
Several years ago an engineer friend of mine bought a Digigram VX Pocket for his PC laptop: it's an PCMCIA card that has a breakout cable with balanced stereo analog I/O, AES and Spdif I/O (on XLR and RCA connectors respectively). It did sound good and was truly portable
I just got one. I had a lot of trouble with drivers on Windows XP. Wouldn't work with the digital input into Emulator X2. Lots of clicks and pops. Latency didn't go below 13ms. It sounded a little harsh (from the headphone amp) at times.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search