The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic/M-Audio ???
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Question Logic/M-Audio ???

Hey gang!

I use Logic 6/Mac with an M-Audio 410 front end. The basic setup is: Input 1, 2 to the 410 are the analog signals going in. Logic's outputs 1, 2 are the returns back through the 410. The path works fine. The problem is I cannot get the M-Audio GUI or the program audio object faders to knock down the levels being recorded. The Logic virtual channel faders only respond on playback (of clipped audio files ), and apparently neither the 410's GUI or the hardware knobs can control the analog signal hitting it's inputs. I've tried every setting at both places. The signal must be knocked down BEFORE the A-D conversion, and I don't want to have to adjust my control room outputs every time I rout this way. Short of making up a hardware input attenuator, has anyone got a solution?

Thanks, Paul
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

What signal are you sending into the M-Audio? What source is it coming from?

It could be a reference level problem: -10dBV versus +4dBu
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Doc,

Normally signals would typically come from the 2buss or aux. send on a mixing board, where level could be adjusted. The problem arrises when I try to send a signal directly from the outs of a CD player, Masterlink, tape deck return, DAT, etc... units that have no output level adjustment, and are pumping out some high levels. They could be routed through a board, but that's time consuming and adds extra levels of (unneeded) degeneration. Also, if a mic was plugged directly into the 410, I probably would have the same problem if no attenuation is available.
I don't want to resort to limiting on input.

Thanks, Paul
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Are inputs 1 & 2 line inputs? or mic only? I once had a problem with my MBox when selecting line input and using XLR connector, it still passed via the pre-amp. Appereantly the line input only worked when using jacks. Maybe you have a similar problem?
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Doc,

I only cited XLR ins as an example. The 1/4" inputs used are clearly defined as 'Line Input 1 and 2', and they work fine. The problem is that I cannot get the 410 to attenuate them before the A/D conversion, and the recorded audio files are being clipped. I AM throwing high levels at the inputs, and only the peaks are causing the problem. I've e-mailed tech support at M-Audio. Waiting for their reply. Most analog/digital front ends, whether it's a mixing desk or mic pre, have attenuators of some kind. It's hard to believe that the 410 would not. Finding it is a different thing!

Thanks, Paul
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paully
Most analog/digital front ends, whether it's a mixing desk or mic pre, have attenuators of some kind. It's hard to believe that the 410 would not. Finding it is a different thing!
I'm using an RME Fireface soundcard, and it doesn't have attenuators either for it's line inputs. However, you can change the reference value (i run everything at +4dBu, so no problems here).

Hopefully M-Audio support can help you.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you are routhing things from a Masterlink or a DAT, could you just use the digital inputs on the 410? That would provide one solution. Also, not trying to be a jerk or anything, but here is the link to the online manual for the 410. There is some info on analog level settings on page 12. Good luck.

http://www.midiman.net/images/global...410_Manual.pdf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search