The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PCI-324 & AudioDesk 2 = no playback - HELP!
Old 12th July 2005
Here for the gear

Question PCI-324 & AudioDesk 2 = no playback - HELP!

O.K. fellow Motu users,

I make the scary move to OSX (10.2.8) and my fears were soon justified by my inability to get playback from my 2408 MKII with a brand new Audiodesk V. 2.03 (software) which I purchased from an online store. Motu support tells me to verify that my card is still functioning with OS 9.2. It is.

Fortunately, I did not shell out the $149 that Motu wanted but got a deal on AudioDesk. However, wasted time, products that do not work and obviously impatient support staff do not make for a happy end user. So please:

HOW DO I GET PLAYBACK from PCI-324 WITH 2408 MKII, running OSX 2.8?!! (using a dual 533 G4)
OUTPUT OPTIONS show only buses (mono & stereo) & "no outputs enabled 1-2".

Please help, I'll send you a Christmas card!
-Stereomaus
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not running DP or Audiodesk 2, but I do have an 896 that I've been running w/ Logic 6 and Peak 3 for years. I'll ask some stupid questions now, not to insult your intelligence, but because I just want to cover the bases.

What are you seeing in the MOTU FireWire Console? The default outputs may need to be set to Analog 1-2, or not. Apple also has an Audio MIDI setup program that you can find in Applications/Utilities. This may or may not have anything to do with it either, but you may want to check it out.

You may want to update your MOTU Firewire Audio Driver at the MOTU download page. Also check out the Preferences in AudioDesk2 and make sure the 896 is setup correctly for that program. There should be an Audio Drivers and Hardware pulldown menu, or something like that. I don't know if it's called that exactly, as I'm not looking at the software.

I was thinking about upgrading to AudioDesk2, but I'm not sure if I want to be stuck using only MAS plugins. Most of the cool ones out there are VST or AudioUnits nowadays.

Sorry if this was not helpful.
Old 12th July 2005
Here for the gear

Unhappy What I have tried

Thanks Jason, for taking the time. On to what I have tried:

1) Motu console was set up. 2408 MKII does display with I/O choices and have tried different set ups just in case.
2) The system records audio and METERS the playback when left on "no outputs enabled 1-2".
3) Playback is never heard despite setting up Audio midi device to PCI-324 for all options available.
4) Native Apple Sound is set to PCI-324 as input & output default, still no output on playback.
5) tried with different monitoring options and with & without "patchthru" activated.
6) Mono analog inputs are displayed individually 1-8 and can be changed.
7) No analog outputs except Buses (stereo or mono) can be selected.
8) I tried using master faders in tandem with the buses for output - NOTHING.
9) I tried a send for the helluvit - NOTHING.

10) I uninstalled and reinstalled Audiodesk 2 twice. The second time I reinstalled it after installing the latest OS 9.2 version of the drivers after changing my startup disk. NOTHING on playback.
11) I tried using audio assignments different ways - NOTHING.
12) As I mentioned, Audiodesk 1 (OS 9.2) is working with the same card, computer, etc,...

If you're still awake & you have an idea, please let me know!
Thanks.
-Stereomaus.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

You should get a MAC - MAC users never have computer problems and spend all their time making music and money.

Oh ... wait ... you have a MAC.

nevermind.

Karl (using MOTU gear with Windows ... reliably)

(sorry about that unnecessary, inappropriate, undeserved dig tutt blame the MAC zealots)
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

[edit] Oh, looks like a Mac OS X/AudioDesk2 issue. It's probably a setting in AudioDesk2. Maybe try booting into OS X and then re-seating the PCI card. If I had the software I could better help you, but I'm trying to decide what to buy or upgrade right now.

It sounds like AudioDesk2 is using the Apple SoundManager driver instead of the MOTU ASIO driver perhaps. You probably already checked that, but just in case....

Actually you shouldn't have to set System Preferences/Sound to the MOTU for your overall system. AudioDesk2 should be using the ASIO driver anyway. Try BIAS Peak or something like that and see if it passes audio.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin
You should get a MAC - MAC users never have computer problems and spend all their time making music and money.

Oh ... wait ... you have a MAC.

nevermind.

Karl (using MOTU gear with Windows ... reliably)

(sorry about that unnecessary, inappropriate, undeserved dig tutt blame the MAC zealots)
He may not have appreciated it, but I sure as hell did.

----------
2408mkII, Win2kPro, SX3 . . . never a problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search