The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to take the vocals off a CD
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Head

How to take the vocals off a CD

Anyone know how to take the vocals off of a song by ding weird stuff like inverting the phase or something like that?
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

In reality, you cant. That would be like trying to remove the sugar from a donut. Sure, you can use EQ to reduce the frequencies where the vocals lie, but that is not removing the vocals. What you are doing is removing a big chunk of the frequency spectrum from the music.

"You can't turn a sausage into a trout. It might be a Jimmy Dean but it will never grow fins and swim."
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

You can remove some stuff with m/s processing.
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Head

you can get a clean vocal if you have an instrumental version of the track in question --- you import the instrumental and fulltracks into a daw (make sure they are synced to the exact sample) and then invert the phase of the instrumental -- you should have a clean vocal left

i haven't actually done this myself but i know that this is the technique that is used to make all the 'mash-ups' you hear on radio
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

there's probably some freeware out there that will do it for you. what it does is listen to both channels, and removes anything that is identical in both channels. since the vocal is usually panned dead center, it will get chopped out.

but often times a cd track will have quadruple-tracked lead vocals panned all over the place, and then the results aren't as good.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

For most practical purposes you cant do it. There are tools that are advertised, and some even freeware but the bottom line is with very limited results.

Your best case would be eliminating a vocal that is mixed mono and centered. No reverb involved, no other background voices....then yeah it will work.

But how many songs do you know of where the above is true?
Old 13th July 2005
no ssl yet
You can to a degree

All the processors that I have ever seen worked by canceling the phase of the center information (usually where vocals are placed)

What's done is instead of canceling all of the center, you focus on the frequency range of teh vocals only. THis will of course effect the snr/kick and all other center info in the same freq range as the vocals.

If you wanna play around with it, there's a pretty cool version in the Roland VS 880's etc
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for all the responses! I'm just trying to take all the vocals out of a friggin "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" CD for a friend. I'll give all these suggestions a go.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Analog-X has a pretty good one (none can be perfect) at http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...o/vremover.htm. Windows only.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

> Anyone know how to take the vocals off of a song by ding weird stuff like inverting the phase or something like that? <

See The Truth About Vocal Eliminators here:

www.ethanwiner.com/novocals.html

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search