The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just got M-powered Pro Tools 8 and it won't run Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd March 2009

Just got M-powered Pro Tools 8 and it won't run

hi

I'm just installing M-powered pro tools version 8. I have already installed drivers for my 2626 (which works with itunes)

When installing protools it gets as far as suggesting I check out the included third party products, but when I click next I instantly get "Install failed - the Installer could not install some files in "/". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

I have attached a screen grab of the error message.

I realized that it did seem to install an awful lot so I tried starting pro tools anyway. Pro Tools tried to start and goes through checking all my plugins etc and gets up to the what-type-of-of-session-do-you-want-to-open screen, so I select something and pro tools "unexpectedly" quits a few seconds later, before it the session can start.

I have contacted digi, but of course I am impatient.

My system is. M-powered PT8, 2626, Macbook pro dual 2.3 Intel 17", 4gb RAM. OSX 10.5.6

Any ideas woud be appreciated
thanks
narco
Attached Thumbnails
Just got M-powered Pro Tools 8 and it won't run-error-message.gif  
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Best guess if you're installing to a path with a "/" in the name, or there's otherwise something wrong with the file structure of the path to which you're installing.
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Did you try an uninstall/reinstall? I don't have 8 yet but I got this message when installing M-Powered 7.3 on Mac Leopard once and an uninstall/reinstall got it working fine. Just make sure you do run the uninstaller - don't just delete things.

Another thought is that I got this message when trying to install off of a CD that I had burned with the Pro Tools installer on it. (I had downloaded it from the DIGI site, then burned it onto a CD for backup). The install failed when installing from the CD, but when I copied the disk image onto my hard drive and installed from there it was fine.

Hope some of this helps!

-Mike
Old 2nd March 2009

thanks for the suggestion, but it is none of these things (I tried them)

Some people elsewhere have suggested repairing permissions, digi even had a mini application that supposedly fixes this problem but it doesn't

digi also suggests installing in parts, but that doesn't work either

still trying
narco
Old 2nd March 2009
is it possible the DMG file is corrupt? I would try downloading a new
one from the Digi site.

jeff
Old 2nd March 2009

heres the error report (on opening pro tools ) attached, in case anyone understands this stuff

narco
Attached Files
File Type: pdf error report.pdf (89.1 KB, 468 views)
Old 2nd March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
is it possible the DMG file is corrupt? I would try downloading a new
one from the Digi site.

jeff
I thought that, but I couldn't find the download DMG on the digi site , I originally installed off the boxed version (which I have here)

narco
Old 2nd March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
I thought that, but I couldn't find the download DMG on the digi site

narco
If you register it, you should find the downloads in your "My Digi" section
of your login.

If you ordered it from the Avid store, then you should be able to find the
link there (as well).

jeff
Old 2nd March 2009

I think digidesign.com was designed to be as annoying as possible

I've entered my registration info a number of times, probably 5 or 6 times, whenever it asked for it. It then said I had no account at "my-digi", so I made one, but now I can't register my software because it says it is already registered. Whose account did it register it to then?

I must have registered it to the right email address because I am getting emails from them about it. But then it said there was no account with that email address.

aaaaarghhh.

tearing my hair out
narco

ps. bought it at bhphoto
pps. I have an email from digi saying it is registered to my email address, the same one they said didn't exist in their database
ppps. still waiting for an actual human to respond at digi
Old 2nd March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
Best guess if you're installing to a path with a "/" in the name, or there's otherwise something wrong with the file structure of the path to which you're installing.
no, that's just the root path of the system disk - look in disk utility, you'll see it at the bottom.
Old 2nd March 2009
Quote:

I've entered my registration info a number of times, probably 5 or 6 times, whenever it asked for it. It then said I had no account at "my-digi", so I made one, but now I can't register my software because it says it is already registered. Whose account did it register it to then?

I must have registered it to the right email address because I am getting emails from them about it. But then it said there was no account with that email address.

aaaaarghhh.

tearing my hair out
narco

ps. bought it at bhphoto
pps. I have an email from digi saying it is registered to my email address, the same one they said didn't exist in their database
Have you tried the "forgot my password" option? maybe you're trying to log in with a different password, hence the reason you're getting the can't find user error.

I can log in and see the 8.0cs2 installer...PM me if you want me to download and yousendit to you or something....EDIT on second looking, it seems like you need 8.0 already installed to install the cs update - given your situ, it might still work...but no guarantees! and I can't see the original 8.0 installer.
Old 2nd March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Have you tried the "forgot my password" option? maybe you're trying to log in with a different password, hence the reason you're getting the can't find user error.

I can log in and see the 8.0cs2 installer...PM me if you want me to download and yousendit to you or something....
cs updates are just that, updates - not installers. a working, valid original install of PT will have to be there for the cs version to work, iirc.
Old 2nd March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
cs updates are just that, updates - not installers. a working, valid original install of PT will have to be there for the cs version to work, iirc.
yeah I forgot....see edit above. Might still work though, if he can actually open PT.
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Did you tried to go back to 10.5.5, install protools, reg it, start it up for 1 time, shutdown you mac, download 10.5.6 and then the Cs2 update?
It worked for a friend of mine that had the same problem as you.
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

aaaaarghhh.

tearing my hair out
narco

ps. bought it at bhphoto
I'm sorry you're in the thick of it - I'm not much help (Windows, don't ya know). I do understand the frustration about the DigiStore and the MyDigi accounts. It *sounds* like they've got an internal database issue - do try sending RayT a PM - he's great: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/members/stingray1122
Old 2nd March 2009
another thought, is it possible the the user account that you're
installing with doesn't have administration permissions?
That would prevent the installer from creating some of the
files....

jeff
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

I had very similar issues when upgrading to v7.3. I tried trawling forums, contacting digi to not much effect.

The only way I managed to get it to work was to set up a whole new user account in OS X. I am still using ti under that user account.
Old 2nd March 2009

when I enter my email address for a forgotten password it told me my email address was not in the system, even though I got a thanks for registering email.

It may have something to do with when I first registered it I managed to somehow not have a password ( I don't know how that happened), and could just leave that blank to log in (to log in to view my support ticket)

I don't want to reinstall my entire operating system to go back to 10.5.5 but it had crossed my mind. Last time I did something similar it caused all sort of issues all over my computer (different computer than now), as you can't roll back on apples, you have to reinstall from scratch.

I do have administrator permissions

I just tried making a new user, same story

still waiting for a reply from digi

thanks everyone

narco
Old 2nd March 2009

cs02 won't install as it says 8.0 isn't installed

narco
Old 2nd March 2009
Quote:
cs02 won't install as it says 8.0 isn't installed

narco
Bugger. I guess you've got to wait for digi then. Have you tried calling them on the freephone number? if you've only just bought it, you should qualify for free tech support and they're pretty accomodating (at least over here they are). I know it might only be an upgrade, but it's still a new purchase!
Old 2nd March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Bugger. I guess you've got to wait for digi then. Have you tried calling them on the freephone number? if you've only just bought it, you should qualify for free tech support and they're pretty accomodating (at least over here they are). I know it might only be an upgrade, but it's still a new purchase!
well that brings up another issue, I bought it in the USA, but live in New Zealand. Their system wouldn't let me register in NZ as I said I bought it in the USA.

There is no support number for NZ listed on their site, but I have emailed the local distributor for a number

narco
Old 2nd March 2009

slight update:

I tried installing it on my wife's computer, it works fine. This is not really a solution though as I need it to work on mine.

One thing I noticed is that it takes a lot longer on her computer to load, so on mine it was obviously skipping stuff.

Her computer is almost the same as mine, except she has OSX 10.5.5 and I have 10.5.6. I also have lots more software installed, and more ram.

still waiting for digi's response

narco
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
slight update:

I tried installing it on my wife's computer, it works fine. This is not really a solution though as I need it to work on mine.

One thing I noticed is that it takes a lot longer on her computer to load, so on mine it was obviously skipping stuff.

Her computer is almost the same as mine, except she has OSX 10.5.5 and I have 10.5.6. I also have lots more software installed, and more ram.

still waiting for digi's response

narco
That's a step in the right direction..... How much will she charge you for time? (This could *really* test a marriage )
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

a shot in the dark, but have you tried disk warrior to check your drives/files? maybe after a clean bill of health, try the install?

I just updated my OS and PT to 8. I had to back up everything on a new drive and did a fresh install.

good luck!

oto
Old 3rd March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
a shot in the dark, but have you tried disk warrior to check your drives/files? maybe after a clean bill of health, try the install?

I just updated my OS and PT to 8. I had to back up everything on a new drive and did a fresh install.

good luck!

oto
that is something else I considered, but its $99 for a shot in the dark..

I'm thinking it is a disk error. When I try to repair permissions (using disk utility) there are four or five it says it can't repair, even after booting from the install DVD.

narco
Old 3rd March 2009

Just talked to digi, the first guy couldn't help and got more of an expert to phone back.

Its an issue in the OS/HDD not in Pro Tools, apparently I need to reinstall my operating system

I was considering putting in a bigger drive, so I'l do that at the same time. Two days of installs, here I come!

narco
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Maniac

This problem should be solved by logging in as 'root' and re-installing Pro Tools. I had the same problem when I was building my Mac OSX images at work for our Pro Tools labs and Pro Tools HD studios.

This is what you need to do:

1. If you havent enabled your 'root' account and open Directory Utility app, which is located in Applications/Utilities.

2. Once you have opened Director Utility from memory go to edit and there should be option called 'enable root user' or something to that effect. Once that is done Logout and login as 'Root'.

3. From there make sure you have uninstalled Pro Tools and then install Pro Tools. Once it is installed you will need to restart and log back in to your account you normally use and Pro Tools will work.
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just talked to digi, the first guy couldn't help and got more of an expert to phone back.

Its an issue in the OS/HDD not in Pro Tools, apparently I need to reinstall my operating system

I was considering putting in a bigger drive, so I'l do that at the same time. Two days of installs, here I come!

narco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Did you tried to go back to 10.5.5, install protools, reg it, start it up for 1 time, shutdown you mac, download 10.5.6 and then the Cs2 update?
It worked for a friend of mine that had the same problem as you.
Here you go men, im almost 100% that it work like this way.
Keep use updated!
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Head

I had the SAME problem!

Same thing happened to me. I purchased mine last december and just got it working a week ago! I had to download the freaking file at LEAST 10 times and the same thing always happened. I never heard anything from Digi, I even sent screen shots and everything in full detail.

If you purchased your copy as a digital download, my guess is that is the problem. Just keep trying to download it again until it works. I tried everything. Downgrading to 10.5.5 won't work and I'm telling you this because I was still in 10.5.5 and couldn't get the thing to work. I finally installed 10.5.6 and all the security updates and tried downloading the file again and I tried like 3 times and it finally worked!

Just keep trying to download it and install it, and if it fails delete the file, download it again and try again! I knoe it's tedious but i NEVER got an answer from anyone no matter how hard I researched. Good luck!
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

This all sounds so familiar. Should an XP user stumble onto this thread, with seemingly identical issues, DigiTechSupport said the following:

DigiTechSupt
Administrator Join Date: Jan 2000

Re: MPowered 7.3.1 fails to launch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason this problem occurs is usually due to an OS service preference corruption that's stored in the users/admins specific account folder hierarchy. Unfortunately, due to the number of possibly contributors to the problem, it's nearly impossible to determine exactly which preference or file is causing the problem.

i.e., nothing but a full XP reinstallation would solve everything!

Here the original thread: MPowered 7.3.1 fails to launch - Digi User Conference
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search