The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DP 4.6
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Maniac

DP 4.6

New version of Digital Performer, version 4.6. Cool new features including pitch automation! It's DP's version of AutoTune and it's FREE!!!!!!!.
To all DP users, download it, check it out and post responses here. Thanks!
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

I just installed 4.6 and so far it's been smooth. This is not just a little bug fix version update, there are some major new features added. I still feel MOTU has one of the best upgrade policies around, as practically any other software company would have made this a paid upgrade.
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Nut

Another happy user here as a front end to PT HD.
Have been testing and using it without any problems.
Some great new (no filler) useful features! thumbsup
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

The pitch shifting interface and utlity strongly resembles Celemony's Melodyne and makes me wonder if there's been some kind of licensing deal enacted behind the scenes.

Generally, I'm very happy about this update.

Now I wish they'd finally release MachFive V2. (Promised since last year).

--- Chad
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

DP may be my only hope for not jumping ship and swimming to the dark side of PC island........After that stint with logic where apple is charging 199 per incident of service call I am just about to bail mac world after18 years after exclusively using macs!

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron florentine
DP may be my only hope for not jumping ship and swimming to the dark side of PC island........After that stint with logic where apple is charging 199 per incident of service call I am just about to bail mac world after18 years after exclusively using macs!
There's really no need to bail, DP is a great program. I've been using it since the 80's and it just gets better and better. They have a great upgrade policy, as you can see by this free update with major new features. Logic just never appealed to me enough to switch from DP, and obviously now with all the bugs and the silly support charges it's not really practical for users that might actually want some tech support.
Old 10th July 2005
There is only one

i have always liked DP... and it has some things i literally CANT switch to PT because of.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

MOTU is a great company!!! As an owner of DP4 I wish I just used it more often. Ever since I got my hands on a LinnDrum, DP or MIDI seq. has taken a back seat for that matter.

Sorry to hijack the thread, gonna go download that update!!! and then never use it!
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron florentine

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio

I run both Logic 7.1 and DP 4.5 (now 4.6) on both G5 and Powerbook, make lots of music in both programs.

I actually prefer Logic to DP, much more stable, much less CPU Intensive. Service is not needed if you know how to use a DAW and can figure it out, the manuals are extensive and simple.

My 2 cents
Manuel
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

http://www.motu.com/products/softwar...mation.html/en

heh heh Now THAT is cool. I also like the "Converting audio to MIDI data" part of the process. I always thougt DP was very underated and should be more popular than it is.

to the Pattern Gate Plug-in.

Shane
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Just in time! I was just about to buy Celemony Melodyne (for basic vocal pitch tweaks)! A lot of exciting new features added to this update.
I'm lovin it!
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Originally Posted by A101
Quote:
Just in time! I was just about to buy Celemony Melodyne (for basic vocal pitch tweaks)! A lot of exciting new features added to this update.
I'm lovin it!
"I just saved tons of money on my audio pitch correction software by switching to DP 4.6!" LOLOLOL heh
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

4.6 rocks. Much faster, still stable and I'm digging the sickness the pitch stuff allows in short order. I can't make it as transparent as AT but the power of dragging pitches around is certainly a useful tool for a number of musical and unmusical purposes.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think DP is more popular with pro musicians then most people think... I use DP and Protools HD and mostly Prefer DP ...no PT dis I just Like the Layout of the program and the compositional tools...I also like the fact that it's an easy program for most people to learn I have maybe 3 tech calls in almost 20 years of using it.... I do a lot of work long distance with Musicians mailing in their parts and I think I get DP files twice as often as any other sequencer ...I think musicians and composers really like the program and can work with out the digi hardwarer ball and chain... I have lived though nightmares on both platforms over the years but sticking with it has paid off both PT and DP are mature and pretty stable now...I guess that means it's time to go back to 2"
look forward to the new version....
cheers
SP
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito
I think DP is more popular with pro musicians then most people think...
Yes, I am always puzzled when I read comments like "DP is a sleeper", "more people should know about this program", etc. In my experience, more professionals use DP than any other program except Pro Tools. It could just be my location, as a lot of composers here in LA use DP for scoring. It has long had great features for scoring, I've been using it for scoring since the late 80's. DP is just a tremendous program that keeps getting better, and 4.6 is an excellent version of it.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

It is terrific software, at long last. I must admit I have suffered a lot with previous versions --- it has been a slow evolution to 4.6 and the 3's sucked --- but for my production work, I use 4.6 and a mac G5 and I couldn't be happier. 4.6 is just incredible software... pretty much everything you can think to do you can do.

There are only one or two reasons I envy Protools HD, and they are TDM-only plugins: Cranesong and Soundtoys line. That's about it, really.

Protools is certainly not worth the money anymore.

--- Chad
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've worked on a couple of film scores and the movie people use DP...just by the time they get to the studio, there's a DP rig with all the electronic stuff, a ProTools rig with the ORCH. tracks; then another DP rig that has just the video clips, all chasing the original DP, farking crazy!!!
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya
It is terrific software, at long last. I must admit I have suffered a lot with previous versions --- it has been a slow evolution to 4.6 and the 3's sucked --- but for my production work, I use 4.6 and a mac G5 and I couldn't be happier. 4.6 is just incredible software... pretty much everything you can think to do you can do.

There are only one or two reasons I envy Protools HD, and they are TDM-only plugins: Cranesong and Soundtoys line. That's about it, really.

Protools is certainly not worth the money anymore.
SO TRUE!!!!
thumbsup
Old 6th April 2006
Lives for gear

Hi,

working with Ableton Live as my main sequencer and need more songwriting tools, like you find them in Digital Performer! 5 was just announced I think and I would like to get some Information about DP in general. Would be kind if you couls answer these Qs:

1. How good are the MasterWorks tools and the other FX and Dynamics in DP? Good enough for a professional production?

2. How stable is DP? As stable as Logic (Oh god, please noooooo!). How good can it handle AU Pluggies? Anyone combined it with Ableton Live and or Reason?

3. How good is the soundquality of the pitch tools? Is it really as good as melodyne? Or just a nice semipro gimmick?

4. Can anyone tell me a bit more about the groove tools in DP? I heard you can extract grooves from MIDI and Audio and put them onto Audio and or MIDI!!! Is this that true?
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

I can respond to the first two questions.

1. The Masterworks eq is excellent, really a pleasant surprise to find an eq plugin this good included with the program. As good as practically anything you'd buy separately.

The plugins included with DP are certainly good enough for professional production. I'm not crazy about the reverb plugins, but I don't like any reverb plugins---strictly hardware when it comes to that.

2. I find DP to be one of the most stable programs on my Mac, period. I can't remember the last time DP crashed on me or I had to deal with any bugs or weirdnesses. I'm using DP 4.61 along with OSX 10.3.9, and it is rock solid.

I haven't really used the other features you are asking about, so I'll let others answer those questions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search