The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
First SW reverb that sounds really good to my ears
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

First SW reverb that sounds really good to my ears

I have tried this http://www.inuamusic.com/sonicflavou...ang=en&p_id=20

and was quite taken aback how good it sounds (especially the long spacy verbs). I have tried for solo flute and it is for the first time ever I felt that a SW reverb is comparable to my Lexicon. SOunds very warm a natural.
I compared to Silverspike R2 and Spin Audio RoomVerb2, both sounded quite digitally artificial comparing to R66.

What do you feel ?
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

thanks good verbs are hard to find.
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Nut

Hows the CPU hit??
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have listened to the audio demos on their site, and I agree, this might just be the best soft reverb i've heard yet (and i've tried almost everything, at least on mac) . Big, spacious, dreamy, sounds even better than the Powercore Classicverb.

However upon downloading the demo plugin for OSX, it seems the file is corrupt (just a tiny 200k file, once expanded is not recognized by any vst host). I've emailed the company a few days ago, but no answer yet. Did anybody on Mac been successful downloading this plugin ?

spaceman
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

yes thumbsup ,low cpu usage too ,and there's another damn nice one :
http://www.quikquak.com called rayspace .These're not "me too" cheapo vst reverb wannabees .Finnaly nice reverbs on peecee

thanx for tip ISedlacek
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks!

This RaySpace.... clever and usefull for post work I can see, have to test for quality
Matti
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

And I thought convolution sounded good
R66 is amazingly lush and warm.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

I really like the R66 but it is defianetly is not a natural reverb much like the lexicon 200.I find it is more a character reverb which can be a good thing also it is great for large in your face reverbs but does not fair so well when a subtle reverb is needed and a track is busy.
Old 5th August 2005
You know, that last comment really sums up a lot of my misgivings about artificial reverb, in general. Lex and a few others have drilled, more or less, the long, thick, creamy and thoroughly artifical reverb sounds cherished by some in the 80s and 90s. And convolution reverbs suggest the promise, but I've yet to find anything that delivers a good, small space sound.

Not talking bathroom 'verb, here. I mean conventional rooms, studio floors, etc. I mean the kind of room we walk into and say, "Mmm. Nice space. I'd like to record here."

I've yet to find that in a box or a plug -- or even a feed into and out of such a room.

Can't we do something about the inflexibility of reality, here? heh
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Nut

The R66 demo appears to hang FXPansion VST-AU as well. :( Too bad, i'd like to hear it...
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, i have find out why it doesnt' work with Fxpansion (OSX) and others. It's because it opens right away a window asking for registration , and that makes FXPansion freeze. I did manage to open it in Ableton Live, and clicking twice on register puts it in demo mode.
Now that i've tried it, I find it a bit less impressive than on the audio demos. It still sounds quite musical and warm compared to other soft verbs, but just pales compared to Powercore's ClassicVerb (wich IMHO is the best non-convolution verb on OSX), doesn't have as much "depth" and thickness... Also I must say that "natural"ness is not really a quality i look for in a reverb, I prefer the artificiality and darkness that the Lexicons usually have.

spaceman
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom
I really like the R66 but it is defianetly is not a natural reverb much like the lexicon 200.I find it is more a character reverb which can be a good thing also it is great for large in your face reverbs but does not fair so well when a subtle reverb is needed and a track is busy.

Exactly. R66is great for big spacy reverbs. And this is exactly what I like. Small, subtle reverbs seem not to be its strong point
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Not to steal a brother's thunder, but for all those who own convolution reverb software, check out these IR samples. I haven't tried them yet myself (soon), but some have said they're the best sounding IR's they've heard.

Numerical Sound

They are supposedly re-synthesized to take advantage of every bit, etc... But they don't sound at all synthetic (so I hear).
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
Not to steal a brother's thunder, but for all those who own convolution reverb software, check out these IR samples. I haven't tried them yet myself (soon), but some have said they're the best sounding IR's they've heard.

Numerical Sound

They are supposedly re-synthesized to take advantage of every bit, etc... But they don't sound at all synthetic (so I hear).
Looks interesting but how can one think of buying without being able to try anything first ? They do not offer such a possibility at all. How can I know these impulses will not sound more or less the same as tons of other impulses I already have here ? Strange there is no demo
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, good point. Maybe there's a 30-day money back guarantee or something.

Seriously though. I'll check it out. Maybe an email to the developer will enlighten us on his policy. One reviewer did say mention there are some things in the licensing agreement that some users may not like.

A few people were raving on the Apple Discussions that these are by far the best IR's they've ever heard though, so I thought it was well worth mention.

Also, I'm not sure how you would demo something like this without giving away at least a few IR's. It's only IR files, not a program where they have the capability to mute the audio, add static bursts, etc...
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
Yes, good point. Maybe there's a 30-day money back guarantee or something.

Seriously though. I'll check it out. Maybe an email to the developer will enlighten us on his policy. One reviewer did say mention there are some things in the licensing agreement that some users may not like.

A few people were raving on the Apple Discussions that these are by far the best IR's they've ever heard though, so I thought it was well worth mention.

Also, I'm not sure how you would demo something like this without giving away at least a few IR's. It's only IR files, not a program where they have the capability to mute the audio, add static bursts, etc...
Well, I have thousands of all possible IRs here, so I would naturally like to know whether these quite expensive ones are that much better. I actually don´t use any of the IRs in a real life, since PCM**** sounds always better so far.
I already sent an email to the developer. So let us see...
Yes, 30 days money back guarantee with returning the CDs would be quite cool
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Cool, let us know what he says. I imagine he would still be relying on one's honesty, as you could easily just leave the files on your machine and keep using them once you return the CD.

I know Ivo, that you would never do this. Some people might however, the same people who use cracked software, or smoke crack, or whatever.

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search