The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Still Looking for a Simple Audio Editor
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

Still Looking for a Simple Audio Editor

Hello Fellow Sluts! heh

I am trying to find a audio editor for Mac that is like Pro Tools. Why don't I just use Pro Tools you ask? Glad you did...Not wanting a hardware dependent program AND definitely not wanting a program that bounces files out in 'Real Time' (why PT does that makes no sense to me...yes, I know outboard processors - but if you don't use them there should be a bounce option!)

I tried: Cubase SE & LE, I have Digital Performer, Have Sound Track Pro, and still none have the simplistic features of Pro Tools.

If you'd like to know what I need here it is: All these features are in Pro Tools.
Highlight - Delete editing - Simple!
Slip / Shuffle - allowing to slide audio or snap it to next region.
Quick bouncing of files out - Real Time wastes time.
Simplistic manual Volume control
Quick Key functions like the Option/Shift/Tab - which highlights to the next edit region to the left -- Shift/Tab highlights to the right

If anyone has any suggestions I would truly appreciate it. I am stuck in OS 9.2 with Pro Tools 4.3 because it does all these things and is not hardware dependent. And honestly if some thing was out there that was hardware dependent that did all these things I would probably buy it. Just amazed that someone hasn't made a Pro Tools like program for audio production such as broadcast or the like. They probably would make some serious dough.

Thanks again!!
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey CSI!
Me thinks the easiest way to get outta the protools dependancy would be to buy the M-powered version (Runs on M-audio cards as opposed to the digi stuff) . That way you wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel trying to learn a new host.

If you do feel like now is the time for a new host the it's definately worth giving ardour a spin.
http://www.ardour.org/
It's a HARDCORE DAW based on samplitude. It's open source so it's completely free. You just might have to get your fingers dirty getting it to work. There's a howto here http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/toots/ardour-osx/
Anyway. You got nothing to lose.

No Host is ever going to do it EXACTLY the way you envisage it. Sorry. You'll just have to learn one and become awesome at it. I bet any Cubase based on SX (as opposed to ye olde VST-YUK!) can do everything you need, you just don't know it well enough to get your head around it. (It takes MONTHS to properly switch DAW apps).

Good luck!
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiaudio
Hello Fellow Sluts! heh

I am trying to find a audio editor for Mac that is like Pro Tools. Why don't I just use Pro Tools you ask? Glad you did...Not wanting a hardware dependent program AND definitely not wanting a program that bounces files out in 'Real Time' (why PT does that makes no sense to me...yes, I know outboard processors - but if you don't use them there should be a bounce option!)

I tried: Cubase SE & LE, I have Digital Performer, Have Sound Track Pro, and still none have the simplistic features of Pro Tools.

If you'd like to know what I need here it is: All these features are in Pro Tools.
Highlight - Delete editing - Simple!
Slip / Shuffle - allowing to slide audio or snap it to next region.
Quick bouncing of files out - Real Time wastes time.
Simplistic manual Volume control
Quick Key functions like the Option/Shift/Tab - which highlights to the next edit region to the left -- Shift/Tab highlights to the right

If anyone has any suggestions I would truly appreciate it. I am stuck in OS 9.2 with Pro Tools 4.3 because it does all these things and is not hardware dependent. And honestly if some thing was out there that was hardware dependent that did all these things I would probably buy it. Just amazed that someone hasn't made a Pro Tools like program for audio production such as broadcast or the like. They probably would make some serious dough.

Thanks again!!

On a Mac running OS9.2? Forget it!

Sounds like flame bait too me!

Roland
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Sounds to me like you've not given Cubase SX a proper chance...

-higlight - delete editing: works the same as in PT
-slip/shuffle - turn on snapping and switch to this mode and it's the same as PT
-Quick bouncing: yup, faster than realtime export, including reimporting it straight to a new track in your session
-Simplistic manual volume control: not sure what you mean here but each track has a volume control like PT...also, a plus over PT is that each region has it's own handles for fades *and* volume, which means that in a lot of cases you never even have to touch volume automation. Oh yeah, and fades are realtime too, so no offline calculation BS...
-Shift tab option - not entirely sure what you mean there, but with Cubase you can use the arrow keys to select regions to the left and to the right, and keeping shift pressed will keep regions selected while you select new ones...
with a keycommand you can set your selection to those regions etc..

Anyway, not trying to sell Cubase here (I work with Nuendo which is practically the same), but it seems to do everything you need.

Alternatively, have a look at pyramix native..i think they even have a free download...

Cheers,

Joris
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Roland,

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'Flame Bait' but it doesn't sound like you're being kind. But since I am not sure what you mean I suppose I won't verbally 'flame' you!

And, if you don't have anything to really add to this thread or others, of course other than putting your evidently worthless 2 cents, in please put the keyboard down and step away.
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiaudio
Roland,

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'Flame Bait' but it doesn't sound like you're being kind. But since I am not sure what you mean I suppose I won't verbally 'flame' you!

And, if you don't have anything to really add to this thread or others, of course other than putting your evidently worthless 2 cents, in please put the keyboard down and step away.

I did answer your question. There isn't anything apart from pro-tools on a mac that will do exactly what you want to do. The only version of pro-tools worth having is the HD version, now requires OSX. Pyramix that someone else suggested works on
a PC only. The only Mac systems with accelerated hardware are Pro-tools and Sonic solutions, but Sonic is a mastering system so not suitable for what you are doing.

Personally if I was sticking with a Mac I would go for a protools HD setup and run that alongside Logic Audio. A sensible set-up could be had for around £12,000-£20,000.

When I said flame bait the reason is that most of these sort of threads end up as flames about Mac vs PC, a fact that you most people who have been around this forum for a while will know.

As I said before, if you are sticking with OS9.2 your options are seriously limited.

Regards

Roland

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search