The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
help with hard drive setup on G4 powermac
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Head

help with hard drive setup on G4 powermac

When I first ordered my mac, I ordered it with the internal drive being the 37 GB 10,000rpm scsi. I use external firewire drives for audio.

Now with the newer SATA drives, I'm wondering if it would be better to add a SATA drive for my main operating system drive and use the scsi to write audio to?

Is this possible to set up this way?

I'm thinking of doing a clean install of tiger soon anyways, so some of the work will have to be done either way.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Nut

With the G4 i was never happy with the scsi drives. i work at a school with over 70 macs and using the ATA drives were always best for the os. if you are using firewire for your audio ( i do that as well) i don't see a real advantage of going with the SATA, also , i heard.....and i don't know if it is true for sure but.... i did hear that Sata drives will not work in the G4. hope that helps
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

You would need to purchase a SATA PCI controller card, these run about $100 or less for macs. And a SATA drive. Your G4 should have built in ATA on the MB. You could purchase a large ata100 or ata133 drive and save some cash. The speed on the drive needs to be 7200 rpm, this should be fine.

Plus you could yank yer SCSI card.

Hope this helps

sdf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search