The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEW Sony Oxford Limiter
Old 13th August 2005
Oh yeah... and like Jules said, it mostly replaces the inflator for two buss work, unless you're really going for distorted/slammed. It works on a different principle than the inflator... but it still takes "overs" and somehow translates them into distortion/ extra energy which is musically pleasing. One of the biggest differences is that since the "inflator-esque" section is within the plug-in's headroom, you don't have to lose the peaks to limiting first, as you had to with an L2/inflator combo. It enhances the audio by incorporating the peaks that were passed on after the limiter (when the limiter attack settings are set long enough). Here's what Paul Frindle at Sony wrote me:

Both processes add distortion but of an entirely different kind and under very
different conditions - they are not interchangeable. You can illustrate this if you
feed them with the PT oscillator plug-in set at around 100Hz. The Inflator will
produce distortion permanently - the enhancer will not. The distortion added by the
enhancer is mostly a by-product of its action and occurs only during dynamic level
changes. Distortion added by the inflator is deliberately intentional and
permanent..

I already ebayed the inflator. I prefer the pheonix for adding warmth to individual trks.
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Guys,

I just upgraded to Waves Platinum, thinking I got the L3 multi with it. I only get the L3 ultra. Should I return it and get the Sony? Poop - I don't want to spend another $600 to upgrade again to the L3 Ultra.
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Waves reminds me of my daughter:

"Dad, if you pay my drama classes, I'll do anything you ask me to. Please??!!!"
(Waves Gold)

"Oh, one more thing dad: Tennis? Pleaaaaseee??!!!!! I'll do anything!!!!"
(Waves Platinum)

"Daaad???"
(Waves Diamond)

ruudman
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

F**k man, I agree. It sucks. I am looking for a limiter for my critical VO stuff and a lot of guys are swearing by the L3. I would love to ditch waves, but I really want to give my clients the absolute best files.
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

So, I've been playing with this Limiter for the last week or so. I like it for fattening individual tracks. On the mixbuss, I'm still preferring the UAD Precision Limiter, but that could change.

Oh, and you have to be really careful with the levels, as has been mentioned here before. Anything will internally clip if you don't set the levels right. I think that for the price, it's a good deal. I like it with the Inflator.
Old 24th August 2005
Hey max... what types of applications are you using the inflator for? It sounded a bit artificial to me on individual tracks, but I have since heard several people talking about how they like it for this. Just curious now that I sold mine... seller's remorse?

Also, are you using it (UA) on the mixbuss for to just guard overs during mixing, or for full on mastering levels?
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Waves screwed me once - no more

Jo
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah I agree - I mean the basic philosphy should be that if you bought something and then the manufacturer found a defect and fixed it - you should qualify for that fix without having to pay more for it. End of story. It really pisses me off. This is what happened to a lot of us who did not have the current WUP when Waves went to V5 and fixed issues with some of it's plugs. Issues which we had all identified and requested fixes for.

I still use their plugs - for some things - they are just the best choice. I only had Gold before, but now that I am doing some serious mastering in Pro Tools, I need some more choices for the mix buss for compression and multi-band which is why I am moving up to Platinum. I think I am screwed as I need to have the L2 and L3 as basic fallbacks.

Well - Karma does go around - that is a proven fact.
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just buy a nice analog box - or the hardware L2 (dunno whether there's a hardware L3 box out) - they prolly won't screw you with a hardware unit like they do with plugs. Plugs aren't considered "real gear". It's a known fact that computer stuff gets sold that doesn't work porperly. Ever heard of a MFG doing it with hardware and asking for money when you tell em to fix it?

Jo
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

I seriously looked at the L2 box. The only reason I am going for the software is that the L3 really rocks as a plug. They are lucky it is so good. If I treated my clients this way I wouldn't be in business.
Old 25th August 2005
Can't say anything about L3, but the sony is better than the L2 in my estimation, I've been A/Bing them. But you have to know how to set it.
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Dude- I will probably get it as well. I am a gear slut - like to have options. That's why these guys all still make money on their plugs :-) The L3 is pretty remarkable.
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer
Hey max... what types of applications are you using the inflator for? It sounded a bit artificial to me on individual tracks, but I have since heard several people talking about how they like it for this. Just curious now that I sold mine... seller's remorse?

Also, are you using it (UA) on the mixbuss for to just guard overs during mixing, or for full on mastering levels?
I use the inflator after the limiter on the drum bus. Ya gotta be careful so that it doesn't start to get weird, as you know. I use the UAD Precision Limiter at the end of the line if what I'm working on is going to the end user directly. I use it really sparingly.

I feel like the key to making plugins work is to not push them too far. If I need more compression, for example, I'll stack two different ones on the track.

Don't worry too much about having sold it. It's not a 'do or die' piece if you ask me.
Old 26th August 2005
Thanks i needed that... back to my regularly scheduled program.
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I feel like the key to making plugins work is to not push them too far. If I need more compression, for example, I'll stack two different ones on the track.
I def agree with you on that. While you can push a hardware unit (such as a compressor) agressively with good results, even the better plug-ins start to get sour when you push them too far.
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

I like the Sony Limiter a lot... It feels beta, but it is cool... I think there will be some updates that improve it a bit... definitely feels like its the "version 1" of a product (which it is, so that is OK). Sounds good.

I think these updates will happen... enhance will go to 200% and there will be more control over release(faster).
Old 3rd October 2005
Exclamation Sony update!

I got this today in my email in box.

You have received this email as either a current owner of the Sony Oxford
Limiter for Protools, or have downloaded a demo of the Sony Oxford Limiter.

We would like to inform you of a special product update that is now ready
for downloading from:

http://www.sonyplugins.com/downloads

If you have previously tried this product out and would like to try it out
again, we have re-set your demo account record that will allow you to
reauthorise your ilok. Please visit:

http://www.sonyplugins.com/demos

for a fresh demonstration authorisation of this product.

Due to feedback from the users, a new version of the Limiter plug-in has
been released with the following new features:

-The new version has an added Safe mode, selectable by an additional
button.

- When Safe mode is selected the action of limiter enhance section is
modified to continuously control peak signal modulation, in order to
avoid sample value overs, permanently and under all circumstances. This
means that the user has much more freedom to employ the wide range of
available timing settings without the risk of causing red light overs.

- Also in safe mode the enhance control is repurposed as an enhance law
function, providing a far greater useable range to the enhancement
effect, from almost transparent (0%) to full effect (100% - 125%). This
means it is now possible to obtain full peak and overshoot control
without the need to use high enhancement settings, which previously
proved too heavy for some programme types.

- Additional set-ups have been included which expand on those originally
provided, to illustrate the new safe function and also address many
issues raised by user feedback on a variety of programme types.

- Internal headroom has also been increased to further reduce the
possibility of signal saturation under extreme programme conditions.

When Safe mode is deselected operation is exactly as before in version

Thank you

The Sony Plugins Development Team
Old 3rd October 2005
Gear Maniac

That's really cool.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search