The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEW Sony Oxford Limiter
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

L2 is old news I have't used it in about a year. The L3 UM is mutiband and is miles ahead of anything I've tried. As much as I hate Waves WUP they still have a lot of cool things that are hard to replace
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
As much as I hate Waves WUP they still have a lot of cool things that are hard to replace
Sony and URS plugs in combination with some sweet hardware does the trick. I sold my Waves collection a while ago and didn´t miss it for a second.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I find myself using waves most of the time although I have other limiting plugs (I have almost all of them) .. I use the sony dynamics bundle but I rarely use the inflator, I´d like to check the oxford limiter though....
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict
This thing blows away the L2. way smoother and less distortion. Keeps the transients alot better as well. thumbsup
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

NICE limiter. Very easy to make things punchy and phatt. Easy does it.
More control than the L2 and L1.
Nice having the attack function along with Release and variable soft to hardknee control. So far I'm gravitating towards using it within the mix as opposed to the 2 buss. I'm sure using over time will lead to other applications.
Auto gain, auto comp and enhancer function...all very cool.

Latency
Sony Limiter -- 108
L1, L2 -- 67
L3 -- 3843
Digi Limiter -- 4
Channel G -- 3

Wouldn't call it an L2 killer. I still like the Waves stuff.
I would call it a welcome addition.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

some bad reports at DUC. A couple of ME's complaining
on levels and internal clipping.

ruudman
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz

Latency
Sony Limiter -- 108
L1, L2 -- 67
L3 -- 3843
Digi Limiter -- 4
Channel G -- 3
The L3 has some serious look ahead capabilities that is why it has so much latency any limited that's good with look ahead will have a lot of latency. You have to give something up to gain something.
heh
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The L3 has some serious look ahead capabilities that is why it has so much latency any limited that's good with look ahead will have a lot of latency. You have to give something up to gain something.
heh
Absolutely! Love the L3. That's also why the Sony is a welcome addition for me. I'm able to use it within the mix. The L3 is used for the 2 buss or mastering.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman

ruudman

I really, really would take that statement with a couple of pounds of salt. Levels and internal clipping sounds like some serious user error. This isn't a freeware piece, this is something that comes from the folks making the plugs that raised the bar for everyone. I can see saying you don't like it, love it, but quoting some unknown guys from the DUC on fundamental stuff, that I'd like to see backed up.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdarling
I really, really would take that statement with a couple of pounds of salt. Levels and internal clipping sounds like some serious user error. This isn't a freeware piece, this is something that comes from the folks making the plugs that raised the bar for everyone. I can see saying you don't like it, love it, but quoting some unknown guys from the DUC on fundamental stuff, that I'd like to see backed up.
Wow! Chill, will you?
Go and check DUC for yourself, they're hard working ME's, not youngsters.
I didn't say that Mr. Massenburg or (your fave here) complained about this,
just stated that someone were concerned. I don't need to name them because
I haven't been able to test it yet, therefore I haven't got an opinion.
I just thought it might be interesting to hear other reports. Those who are
interested, will go to DUC and check it out anyway.

ruudman
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ruudman,

Not knocking you, just putting out the fire that is second-hand unquoted info online. Again, some links would be helpful in quoting someone else.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'll provide the link (for all the lazy and pissed off ones )
BUT, I disagree with the comparison of quoting an unamed source
(my friends studio, a well known producer and so on);
it's open for everyone to check out DUC - one search button away
Besides, I thought digi users were aware of that site, and were capable of browsing it..

Oh well, anyways:

here ya go

ruudman
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

ruudman
It seems touchy in regards to gain structure and can easily overload. However, I don't believe it's a bug but more a matter of learning how to use it properly. So far I'm using it only as a limter on instrument 2 buss's i.e. drums or individual guitar tracks.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The L3 has some serious look ahead capabilities that is why it has so much latency
Isn't the latency because of the linear phase crossovers?
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicemaster1500
Isn't the latency because of the linear phase crossovers?
It also needs time to analyze peaks in the signal, I guess.

ruudman
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
It also needs time to analyze peaks in the signal, I guess.

ruudman
Yes, most likely about 60 of the 3800+ samples.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, if you say so.

ruudman
Old 6th August 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS
This thing blows away the L2. way smoother and less distortion. Keeps the transients alot better as well. thumbsup

agree
Old 8th August 2005
Was on the phone to Sony today

Clipping IS possible

But it is caused by operator error / personal choice and is 100% avoidable

By reading the manual

The reason clipping can happen is because unlike some other limiter plug ins they give you an attack control to monkey with - lean on it hard - and you can cause cliping.

There is a new version of the manual that explains this & how to avoid clipping, they sent it to me and I am attaching it for download below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf pthlimg2.pdf (714.5 KB, 770 views)
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks, Captain Jules!

ruudman
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey Jules,

I noticed in another post that you were using the Sony Limiter for dither... you must be digging it, then.
Any other impressions on the limiter?

Cheers,
Charles
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I've been testing the Sony Limiter for several days now and I like it very much. I had been using a combination of Inflator and L2 before and must say the Limiter is way better. Easy operation, easy to dial good settings, smooth sounding, a combination of limiting and loudness maximizing but in a smooth rounded, not at all harsh way. For the life of me I cannot produce the digital clipping that some others have reported. Well maybe I could, but I guess I would have to go overboard with the settings. I stay within normal bounds and for me all is well. Cheers.
Old 10th August 2005
Simple operation, good sound, retains more mix integrity than some other 'crushers'?

Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

i was wondering if this plug boosts the output volume also like the inflator magically does without any limiting? or is it more like an L2 where you need to go into limiting to get it to crank up the volume ?
thank you

s
Old 11th August 2005
it does both

it has a 'sound louder' function and a 'be louder' function as well + several dither flavors
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I've got to check this thing out...
Sounds like Sony'll be getting more of my $$.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
it does both

it has a 'sound louder' function and a 'be louder' function as well + several dither flavors
Have you found that it basically replaces the Inflator, at least for 2buss work? Or is it still a different thing?
Old 11th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbeh
Have you found that it basically replaces the Inflator, at least for 2buss work? Or is it still a different thing?
Replaces...

but I havent taken time to look into what the diferences between it and Inflator are..

Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm wondering if anyone has compared this to any other limiter like the Timeworks Master Comp, UAD, or TC limiters?
Old 13th August 2005
It's just plain way better than L2. More 3-D. A little more dialing, though. It clips if you set it wrong. Another vote here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search